« Studio 54 | Main | Sid Hartman: Big Stein Still Keeping Tabs »

January 16, 2008

65 Pitches

According to Pete Abe, Phil Hughes now has a blog.

I dunno. It still "Smells Like Teen Schilling."

To date, Phil has faced 306 big league batters and has successfully retired 206 of them (while also allowing 64 hits, 29 walks, 2 hit batsmen and 5 reaching on an error).

Call me crazy, but, in general, I think a big league pitcher should have at least 500 outs under his belt before he launches a media outlet. And, before anyone fires up their flame and points it at my direction, answer this question: If the word came out today that Boston's Clay Buchholz had started a blog, as a Yankees fan, what would be your reaction to that? Would you not say "Uh, let's see him pitch a full big league season before he gets too full of himself"? If yes, to be fair, should we not apply the same logic to Hughes here?

Posted by Steve Lombardi at January 16, 2008 10:34 PM

Comments

Negativity about something related to Phil Hughes? Noooo, for real?!

Plenty of people who never played a game of baseball, including yourself, have blogs -- and they are very entertaining. People such as Pete Abe himself has called for athletes to create blogs (though he hypocritically calls out Schilling for his). Every person has the right to start a blog -- if they're a twelve year old kid complaining about their parents or an old man who wants to wax poetic about prune juice. The Internet is open to all, and it seems ridiculous, in an era of endless banter by everyday people about something they have no firsthand knowledge of, to suggest a person who actually partakes in the activity should not have his say.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 16, 2008 11:04 PM

I would just prefer, at this stage, that his primary focus was on becoming the best big league pitcher that he can be, as opposed to taking time away from that to work on his writing skills.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 16, 2008 11:13 PM

~~~Negativity about something related to Phil Hughes? Noooo, for real?!~~~

FWIW, if you want to believe it or not, my reaction to this would be the same if it was Joba or Kennedy instead of Hughes.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 16, 2008 11:19 PM

To be fair, it's the offseason and Phil's at the age where most kids are completely obsessed with their 'MySpace' pages. If he's still posting with the same frequency during the seaso, *then* I'll worry.

It's not the worst thing for a Yankees rookie to do - just think, he could be out getting into bar fights. ;-)

Posted by: Pete [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 16, 2008 11:24 PM

"If he's still posting with the same frequency during the seaso, *then* I'll worry."

I wouldn't even worry then.

These guys have lives off the field, no matter how hard they work on it (and by every account other than Joel Sherman, Hughes has worked and does work very hard at his craft). I'd far rather he be sitting at his laptop, blogging about crap like LRG, than going out and getting drunk off his ass, messing around with the skanks follow the team around every night -- like MANY 21 year old guys would do in his shoes.

Posted by: B [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 16, 2008 11:35 PM

So is Steve insinuating that he, himself, loses productivity during his day job by posting to his blog so much? ;-)

Posted by: mehmattski [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 16, 2008 11:56 PM

At least he's literate.

Posted by: Rich [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 12:24 AM

500 outs minimum? Are you serious? He has every right to speak his mind no matter what. When is he allowed to start talking to reporters? What's the difference?

Posted by: Harry [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 12:35 AM

Do you believe a player must spend 24 hours a day solely concentrating on developing his ability, especially in the off-season?

What about any time given to interviews? Does that improve his ability?

Do you spend all of your time totally concentrating on your job even during off hours?

Maybe if he was climbing Mt. Everest it could jeopardize his development but someone not trying to find fault in every single person as you do might look at it as a player trying to become a more well-rounded person.

You're assuming he'll be doing his own blogging. Do you really think Britney Spears' blog to her fans is written by her?

Posted by: Basura [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 05:46 AM

He had a blog when he was in the minors as well, and to be fair to Steve, I believe he expressed the same opinion.

Anyway, I don't see a problem with blogging.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 10:30 AM

Oh, looks like the minor league blog was already covered :)

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 10:34 AM

You're assuming he'll be doing his own blogging.
==========
Why wouldn't he?

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 11:13 AM

I'm ASSuming and hoping he'll do his own blogging but sometimes time constraints might have a ghost writer helping out. Like with Charles Barkley's autobiography, that he later stated he was misquoted in.

Then again, I doubt Ed MacMahon wrote the letter for the Publisher's Clearing House mailings he put his name to.

Posted by: Basura [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 12:34 PM

To be frank, this is the future.

Athletes are going to be doing more and more of their own blogging (or have someone do it for them), where they can shape the message they want.

Instead of talking to the media, or saying they were misquoted, or dealing with the press, they can remove the middle man (and some of the tough questions, and shoot down analysis) and report to the fans directly.

Not to mention use their sites to plug merchandise and make more money. If I was an agent, I would have blogs set up for all my clients (along with ghost writers or administrators) ready to set up and roll.

Posted by: Sonny M [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 12:44 PM

I totally agree. You need to have at least like, 3 CY Youngs and one World Series MVP before you can start a blog.

Position players need to have won either an MVP or at least a Silver Slugger.

So what are your qualifications for having a blog again?

Jesus, it's a blog, I don't care who has one. Every 16 year old emo kid with eyeliner has a blog, and we're gonna give Phil Hughes crap for having one. This is immature even for you.

Also, I'm pretty sure Hughes has had that blog for like, over a year.

Posted by: SteveB [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 01:11 PM

I'm wrong about him having the blog for a year. But he did have another website up over a year ago.

Posted by: SteveB [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 01:18 PM

FYI, I've been bogged down with stuff the last few days - just thought that I would share that - in case anyone thought I was ignoring ya'll.

BTW, anyone (?) willing to answer this question: If the word came out today that Boston's Clay Buchholz had started a blog, as a Yankees fan, what would be your reaction to that? Would you not say "Uh, let's see him pitch a full big league season before he gets too full of himself"?

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 01:40 PM

~~So what are your qualifications for having a blog again?~~

I've been studying the game of baseball, by watching it, and reading about it, for the last 35 years.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 01:43 PM

I would say, "Oh Clay Bucholz has a blog. Smart move, way to add engagement with Red Sox fans."

Seriously, the best thing MLB can do is make itself more human, more accessible to its fans. Player blogs are such a good idea, it will serve to foster fan interest and loyalty. There is nothing about it that is bad.

You seem to be waffling between two arguments here.

1) Blogs are bad because they speak to a player having an inflated sense of self importance with regard to their career and accomplishments.

or

2) Blogs are bad because they are a potential distraction and will hamper the player's development.

To 1) I say, who cares, everyone with a blog who isn't famous has an inflated sense of self importance. People who are famous recognize that there are lots of people out there who are interested in hearing about their lives. It's a smart thing to do to build their personal brand.

To 2) I say, fine, if we buy that, Jeter needs to shut down his affilliation with the Turn 2 foundation because it's a potential distraction. Players shouldn't have kids, because kids are a potential distraction. Players shouldn't have wives because wivers are a potential distraction. Etc, etc, ad nauseum, blarg.

Posted by: SteveB [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 01:47 PM

===========
I'd say "good for him." If he has anything interesting to say, I may check it out. If it becomes SAWX R00l, t3H Y4Nk33$ dr00L !!111!one!1, then I won't.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 02:07 PM

Phil Hughes can do whatever the hell he wants. Expecting him to spend every waking second of his life working towards improving his game is absolutely absurd.

Posted by: Mike A. [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 02:36 PM

'If the word came out today that Boston's Clay Buchholz had started a blog, as a Yankees fan, what would be your reaction to that? Would you not say "Uh, let's see him pitch a full big league season before he gets too full of himself"?'

I would say that's a better use of his off the field time than stealing laptops was.

Beyond that I wouldn't care, unless he was being a pompous, pretentious blowhard like Schilling. Then I'd just think he was a douche just like Schilling and still not really care because it wouldn't change a damn thing about how he'd pitch against us.

Posted by: B [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 03:05 PM

-----

My reaction would be: Who cares? I'm sure that's the reaction of Red Sox fans to Hughes' blog.

Also, if Buchholz had a blog, I might actually go read it before and after a start against the Yankees to see what he had to say.

It's pretty obvious Hughes is a kid that likes to go online. It's just a natural extension for him to start his own site and blog. And I think it's healthy that he wants to interact with his fans -- and, yes, he does have fans. If I was in his shoes, I would absolutely have a web site so I could communicate directly with fans instead of trying to do it through the media.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 03:18 PM

~~~ If the word came out today that Boston's Clay Buchholz had started a blog, as a Yankees fan, what would be your reaction to that? Would you not say "Uh, let's see him pitch a full big league season before he gets too full of himself"?
~~~

__________________________________________________

I would make a bunch of laptop jokes, but mostly, probably wouldn't care. Then again, I honestly of the school of thought that agents are going have more and more of their clients starting blogs, or making more productive uses of their own websites.

Those blogs and websites can bring in serious money, its just a matter of time before you see this exchange.

Reporter: You had a bad game there, and the fans were really on you, what do you want to say?

Player: I'll answer that question and many others regarding what happened tonight on my website/blog at www.randomplayer.com

Posted by: Sonny M [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 03:20 PM

OK, guys, I get it.

When in Yankeeland, never be critical of A-Rod, Brian Cashman, or Phil Hughes. They are untouchables, it seems.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 03:23 PM

unreal.

Posted by: keithny [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 03:33 PM

=============
I believe Albert Belle used to direct reporters to his website

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 03:35 PM

OK, guys, I get it.

===============
Feel free to be critical, just understand that other people have opinions too...

Anyway, Phil Hughes isn't the first player to have a blog, nor will he be the last player. Current players have blogs and websites, former players have them. Players who play in the states & players who play overseas have them. Players at many different levels of baseball have them. So I don't see why I should get up in arms that Hughes has a website, or that he'll be goofing around on it during his supposed spare time.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 03:48 PM

Kei Igawa's blog :D

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 03:52 PM

=========================

Way to talk down to your readers.

I haven't seen a single note here agreeing that "... a big league pitcher should have at least 500 outs under his belt before he launches a media outlet. "

Did it occur to you we're disagreeing because we don't agree with your opinion, not because you came out against a sacred cow?

Posted by: Basura [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 03:59 PM

-----

Steve, that's totally childish.

People are just disagreeing with you. That's going to happen from time to time on blogs.

And I think it's kind of funny to put A-Rod in the "don't-dis" category, since it's been a sport to kick the crap out of the poor guy since he was here. I think every Yankee fan has been guilty of it at some time or another.

You have the right to say whatever you want about Cashman and Hughes, but obviously the fans of this site have the same right to disagree.

I will say this, though: when you grow to dislike someone -- or something irritates you about someone -- you peck and peck at those people on every issue, even petty ones. It creates an almost petulantly hostile tone. And makes your legit criticisms carry less weight.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 04:03 PM

Duuuuuuuuuuude. If Phil Hughes show up for camp out of shape, or decides he's going to only throw eephus pitches, or if he starts walking people willy nilly, I will be the first to rip the crap out of him. I'm not going to rip him for writing a blog.

Lighten up.

Posted by: SteveB [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 05:40 PM

It's really not that big a deal... I don't see the difference between this and facebook

Posted by: dan [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 07:58 PM

I think Buchholz does have a blog, or at least it says it's his "official blog" although it doesn't look like he writes it.

My thoughts? Can't wait to see what he writes after the Yanks light him up.

Posted by: depressedfan [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 17, 2008 10:41 PM