« 2007 Postseason Shares | Main | Yanks Admit To Talking With Twinkies On Johan »

November 26, 2007

Dan Haren (Again)

Another rumor that Dan Haren might be available. From Phil Rogers today -

With Bonds out of the picture, it will be easier for Beane to decide that an old-fashioned rebuilding is in order, putting All-Star Game starter Dan Haren in play for a possible blockbuster trade.

Haren (15-9, 3.07 in 34 starts) has been one of the American League's most reliable starters in the three seasons since he was acquired from St. Louis for Mark Mulder. He is under Oakland's control for three more years at the ridiculously affordable total of $16.25 million.

The Yankees and Red Sox are intrigued by his possible availability and would be willing to part with some very attractive youngsters to get him. That list includes the Yankees' Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy and Boston's Jon Lester and Michael Bowden, the pitching prospect from Waubonsie Valley High School.

I think many Yankees fans would be O.K. with Ian Kennedy for Dan Haren. But, Phil Hughes for Dan Haren? It would be interesting to see the reaction in Yankeeland if Cash & Hank pulled the trigger on that one.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at November 26, 2007 02:19 PM

Comments

Phil Roger's theory makes little sense. In his article A's owner Lew Wolff says "I don't think we were that interested (in Bonds)." So not getting a guy they weren't that interested in is the difference between a full rebuilding season and a competitive season? That's nonsense.

Beane might go into rebuilding mode, but it has nothing to do with Bonds.

You know, Haren is nowhere near the pitcher Santana is, but considering the contract he has, Beane could expect a similar-if-smaller offer. With Santana, you have to give him 125 million dollars. With Haren, you control him for a while. And if Beane is really rebuilding and would be willing to package Haren and Street together, I think that would actually be more valuable than Santana.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 26, 2007 02:44 PM

I don't know how Street got thrown into the mix but I'll run with it. Although he's a bit injury prone (based on the last two seasons), he'd make one hell of a bridge to Rivera. And, as I said a few weeks ago when the whole Haren thing was brought up, I'd absolutely love to add him to the staff. He's an effective innings-eater and a perfect #2 type of starter. At $5.5M over the next three years, he's an absolute bargain. I only wish it were realistic to expect the Yanks to pull this off. You have to figure that it would cost at least Hughes, if not a lot more than that.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 26, 2007 02:50 PM

If Beane is rebuilding, why the heck would he trade Haren? Haren is exactly the kind of pitcher you want when you are rebuilding - ridiculously cheap for a long amount of time, and very effective to boot.

Heck, Haren is the guy they got when he rebuilt last time. It makes absolutely no sense to trade down. No sense whatsoever.

Posted by: Andrew [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 26, 2007 02:54 PM

Yeah, what Andrew said. There's no way Beane trades Haren for Kennedy or Hughes. Haren's contract is a dream situation for Beane - young and cheap. If he does trade Haren, it's going to be for 3 or 4 prospects.

I agree with MJ's point about Beane expecting a Santana type offer for Haren because of his economic-friendly contract. If Minnesota wants Cano, Hughes, and two B prospects for Santana, then Beane is going to ask for something similar.

Posted by: christopher [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 26, 2007 04:44 PM

----

Depends on the deal. If the Yankees were willing to swap Hughes, Melky, Horne, Tabata, and Russ Ohlendorf/Whelan/Robertson/some relief prospect for Haren and Street, wouldn't it help the A's long-term? Haren is cheap, but those players are cheaper -- they won't be making anything for four/five/six years. Haren will have to be paid in three.

If you can get a king's ransom for a starter, why not at least explore it -- especially for a team that has to reshuffle its roster every few years?

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 26, 2007 04:55 PM

I don't know how Street got thrown into the mix but I'll run with it.
-----

It was mentioned elsewhere previously that if Beane rebuilds, he plans to blow up the team and trade everyone of value -- including Street.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 26, 2007 04:56 PM

I wouldn't trade Hughes for Santana, so obviously I wouldn't trade him for Haren.

Posted by: Rich [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 26, 2007 04:58 PM

I sorta feel like Cashman (or Epstein, sadly) could make a move on Haren NOW and get more bang for their buck/prospects rather than wait until after Santana is dealt when I bet Haren's value will skyrocket.

That would allow them to set their market rather than have the market set for them.

Just a thought though I recognize Beane is no dummy.

Oh, and I'd make that Kennedy/Haren deal in a second.

Posted by: alex rainert [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 26, 2007 06:40 PM