« Bobby Abreu Playing The Outfield | Main | August 27th @ The Tigers »

August 27, 2007

Mike Mussina In Motown

Mike Mussina's night is now in the books. Today, he pitched 3 innings, facing 19 batters and threw 72 pitches. Moose walked one, struck out none, allowed 9 hits and 6 runs. Sure, there were some seeing-eye hits in there - but, there were some loud outs in there as well. What was most telling was Mussina's "stuff" in terms of speed and location. I saw fastballs from Moose tonight that hit 81 and 84 MPH on the YES gun. And, I saw Mussina miss Posada's target more than a few times as well.

I guess that Joe Torre saw this too - as he took Mike out of the game after 72 pitches, even with the seeing-eye hits having plated some of the runs.

At this stage, Mike Mussina has become to the 2007 New York Yankees what Luis Tiant was to the 1980 Yankees. Moose is an imported star who has reached the end of his effective days. If you told me, at this point, that Mussina would not win another 10 games in the major leagues, I wouldn't fight you, with tooth and nail, to make you say "Take it back."

Posted by Steve Lombardi at August 27, 2007 09:02 PM

Comments

moose reminds me of tony danza's character in angels in the outfield, except there are no angels here...

Posted by: Corey [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 27, 2007 09:36 PM

Easily the most unwatchable game of the year.

C'mon, man, really. Mussina didn't throw a fastball at 81. The gun throws up crazy numbers sometimes. It clocked Moose at 97 at one point, and it was Verlander at 63. I guess those were accurate too.

Mussina threw 86-88 all night and that's what he's had this year. The lack of perfect control and no consistency with his changeup has rendered him ineffective.

I don't know what the Yankees do here, but if they replace him with anyone but Ian Kennedy it seems like a pointless move.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 27, 2007 10:02 PM

================
The latter had more to do with his short start than the former.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 28, 2007 09:36 AM

Moose looks absolutely lost out there. I just don't understand how a guy can go from dominant (4-0, 2.84) to putrid (0-3, 17.69 ERA) just like that.

And being that he makes a ridiculous amount of money, I thought I'd figure out how much each streak cost.

Check it out ... http://gameon.msg.com/2007/08/stats-shmats-is.html

Posted by: David Rabinowitz [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 28, 2007 02:34 PM

Looks like Rob Neyer cited to you again, Steve!

Posted by: Jaggie [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 28, 2007 04:56 PM

Thanks Jaggie - and, thanks Rob!
Links are always appreciated.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 28, 2007 05:02 PM