« It's Getting Close | Main | Tagged »

July 18, 2007

Wilson Betemit Again

From the Post -

The Yankees tried to acquire Wilson Betemit at last year's trade deadline for Scott Proctor, and they are making the same attempt again this year.

Betemit's team, the Dodgers, had to move Chad Billingsley from the bullpen to the rotation, so they are now looking to acquire a reliever to work as a bridge to their end-game duo of Jonathon Broxton and Takashi Saito. They have been scouting Proctor and the other Yankees relievers, but their initial feeling is no one is too appealing.

But what is most interesting is how much the Yanks like Betemit. Last year, they tried to pry the switch-hitter from the Braves, who ultimately dealt him to the Dodgers on July 28 for Danys Baez and Willy Aybar.

Betemit, who has played secnd, third and the outfield in his career, has struggled this year, batting .221, but hitting 10 homers in 140 at-bats.

It was almost this time last year, exactly, that Betemit's name came up.

If the Dodgers would take Farnsworth for him, great. Otherwise, I don't see what Betemit adds to the equation that's a major need/aid for the Yankees.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at July 18, 2007 08:47 AM

Comments

unrelated but re: the Bleacher Creatures. Maybe Jen will be reading this---

During last night's game, I could swear I heard "Box Seats Suck" at the end of the roll call. Are they being crafty and saying something that SOUNDS like "sucks," or are they just ignoring?

Posted by: snowball003 [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 09:29 AM

snowball003,
I had my surround sound going and I heard it pretty clear, too.

Posted by: Garcia [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 10:18 AM

This is the second time Proctor's name has come up in trade talks. I wonder if he will be dealt soon.
I don't know if the Yanks will be able to move Farnsworth. I hope so, but I don't think they can.

I don't know where Betemit fits in here, unless they're hedging their bets that Rodriguez leaves after this year.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 10:39 AM

I was not at the game last night. It was a "non-plan" night, meaning anyone with a 60 or 46 game plan didn't have tickets for the game. On another non-plan night I heard they got away with a little more for some reason. I'll see what's up tonight.

I have an extra, btw if anyone is interested.

Posted by: Jen [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 10:43 AM

where are your seats/how much?

Posted by: Corey [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 10:52 AM

Section 39, Row N. $12

Posted by: Jen [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 11:35 AM

How can the Yankees control what the bleacher fans chant?

Posted by: redbug [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 12:30 PM

Someone likes Betemit. Maybe they figure they can pick him up for cheap right now because he's not having a good year.

Betemit can hit. I've seen him play a few times and he has decent power. Since he can play so many positions, maybe they look at him as insurance for basically everyone -- he can take over for Abreu, A-Rod, Cano, and even play first base.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 01:40 PM

How can the Yankees control what the bleacher fans chant?
=============
By having security throw people out.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 01:55 PM

How can the Yankees control what the bleacher fans chant?
=============
By having security throw people out.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That's not right. There has to be an atty w/ season tix out there. It would be a good lawsuit. Freedom of speech or something.

Posted by: redbug [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 05:36 PM

Yesterday was one of the games of my eight-game plan, so I guess that's why some "non-plan" nights exist.

I really hope they don't trade Proctor. Who else would pitch 100 innings out of the bullpen?

Posted by: Andrew [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 06:31 PM

===========
Freedom of speech within their confines, which may be a bit different.

Course, I'm not a lawyer, so I wouldn't know the nuances. YMMV