« Wilson Betemit Again | Main | Big Stein In Numero Uno To Players »

July 18, 2007

Tagged

Yesterday, I was tagged by Geek of All Trades. And, besides making look up the word "meme," it got my interest. Here's how it works:

1. The "tagged" blogger has to post these rules before they give their readers the facts.

2. "Players" should list eight random facts/habits about themselves.

3. Bloggers who are then later tagged need to write in their own blog about their eight things and include these rules in the post.

4. At the end of their post, bloggers need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names. (And, they should not forget to leave them a comment telling them they're tagged, and to read the blog where they've been tagged.)

So, here's my "eight" -

1. In the past year, I've eaten at least 730 bananas.
2. When I retire, I hope to throw out all my alarm clocks and attend at least one "live" baseball game per week (during baseball seasons). Everything else after that, in terms of the retirement checklist, will be gravy.
3. I've seen Blade Trinity at least 25 times, The Natural at least 50 times, and Excalibur at least 100 times.
4. I own at least two dozen baseball books that I have yet to read.
5. For over two years, I've been meaning to paint my garage door.
6. The next book that I write will be about the New York Yankees.
7. Up until the time I was 40-years old, or just about until then, I had 20/15 vision - and, now, I can't read without wearing glasses.
8. I find it annoying that people sell and/or buy Yankees home uniform jerseys with player's names on the back above the uniform number.

OK, here's where I get to say "Tag, you're it!" I decided to go after some fellow Yankees bloggers who I like to read:

Alex at Bronx Banter
Pete at LoHud Yankees Blog
"SG" at Replacement Level Yankees Weblog
Ben at River Ave. Blues
"YF" at Yanksfan vs Soxfan
Kat at On The Yankees Beat
Phil at Inside The Stadium
Mike at Canyon of Heroes

Posted by Steve Lombardi at July 18, 2007 12:59 PM

Comments

re: #8. I agree that it is dumb that people sell those. However, I must admit I do own a jersey with a name on the back as I am entirely too poor to spend all that money on a real jersey. My plan was to carefully cut the stitches and get the name off, but it looks like I'll ruin the jersey if I do that :(

Posted by: snowball003 [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 02:11 PM

Steve - SG's on vacation and has asked some of us to pinch hit for him... should I just make crap up about him or step into the box on his behalf?

Posted by: SMinDC [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 02:31 PM

Yes.. totally agree. I've got Posada .. the expensive one.. and I love it. The jerseys with the names are probably worn by people who don't realize the history of the pinstripes:

(1) The Yankees have NEVER had names on the backs of their jersey
(2) The Yankees were the first to put numbers on the back of their jerseys
(3) The Yankees have NEVER changed the style of either their home or away uniform (although they do minor things like the stripe for Cory Lidle, etc.)

I also think that the Yankees are the only MLB team who can claim all of these.

Posted by: j [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 02:34 PM

~~~SG's on vacation and has asked some of us to pinch hit for him... should I just make crap up about him or step into the box on his behalf?~~~

Step in - and swing away!

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 02:41 PM

====

Posted by: Jeteupthemiddle [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 02:42 PM

Amen, Jeterupthemiddle! I hope to one day have a nameless jersey. I have the St. Patrick's Day ST green jersey with no name, but that's not a "real" jersey either. But until the day when I have the money to buy a real, nameless jersey, I would rather wear name-baring pinstripes than a tshirt.

I was trying to figure this out one day and I can't find it out--does anyone know if there is any team other than the Yankees who do not put their names on the away jerseys?

Posted by: snowball003 [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 02:53 PM

"Or perhaps they are worn by people who want to wear a jersey instead of a batting practice t-shirt, but can't afford to pay twice the price?"

Yeah, my comment was soap-box-ish. Still, I love my jersey. All they have to do is make sure they resign Posada.

Posted by: j [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 03:07 PM

Ha, thanks for being a good sport and playing along Steve. You got there quicker than I could come here and say "tag"!

Posted by: carla [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 03:48 PM

My pleasure Carla - thanks for thinking of me.

All, FWIW, I'm more pissed that they sell those shirts - than I am that people buy them. I believe that there should be affordable replica home shirts with numbers available - without names. It's wrong that they don't sell them, IMO.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 04:02 PM

==============
Do you think it's a "dumbed down for the masses" type thing?

I mean if I had a jersey #21 that didn't have a name on it, people would think that I'm a Paul O'Neill fan instead of a Danny Pasqua fan :)

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 04:12 PM

===========
AFAIK, the Yanks are the only team that don't have player names on their home or road jerseys. The other teams that only have the number are usually teams with alternate uniforms. Can't think of any off the top of my head, tho'

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 04:15 PM

~~~Do you think it's a "dumbed down for the masses" type thing?~~~

Not sure. I always wondered if it had something to do with the MLBPA and the players getting a cut of the profit - since it had their name and not just a number.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 04:24 PM

=============
I was under the impression that everyone got a cut because licensing monies went into a pool that was evenly distributed among players.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 05:34 PM

I would rather wear the t-shirt than a fake jersey. I think the names look really cheap. I've got better ways to spend $40 at Bob's.

And the dodgers last year had no names on either jersey.

Posted by: tpxDMD [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 18, 2007 06:21 PM

Red Sox, Dodgers and Giants don't have names on their home jerseys.

Posted by: Jen [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 19, 2007 12:15 AM

I knew about the Sox, Dodgers and Giants and the home jerseys--the only one I thought might have no names on the away was the Dodgers.

Posted by: snowball003 [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 19, 2007 01:41 AM