« '77 Yanks: Jan Brady Champs | Main | New Player To Join The Yankees? »

July 08, 2007

July 8th vs. The Angels

Outside of a little bit of heat, in terms of the weather, and some yahoos starting up "The Wave" during the bottom of the 6th inning, it was a perfect day at Yankee Stadium today...if you're a fan of the home team there.

Why can't every game in the Bronx be like this one?

So, this is where we stand at the All-Star break...the Yankees are 9 games back, in the loss column, of the first place Boston Red Sox. Further, New York is 7 games back, also in the loss column, of the A.L. Wildcard leading Cleveland Indians - with four teams sandwiched in there between them and the Tribe.

Can the Yankees make up those 9 games on Boston? Can New York make up those 7 games in the Wildcard - and fight off the other five teams who are also in the chase there? What do you think?

Me? I'm just going to enjoy the moment of today's win. And, should the Yankees get within 5 games back, in the loss column, of either Boston or the Wildcard, by the end of July...then I'll start dreaming about a post-season slot in 2007.

It's not impossible - especially with the Wildcard. But, the Yanks just need to get a tad closer for my tastes...as five with two months to go is a lot more "doable" (in my mind) than what's out there now.

In any event, for the next three days, the Yankees will lose no games, or ground, and the mojo of the team is high - coming off a fanny spanking of the Angels. It's all good.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at July 8, 2007 08:07 PM

Comments

I was in the left field bleachers right behind the angels bullpen. Jered Weaver started a bullpen session and i promptly told him that he and his brother sucked :P.

When Resop was in the bullpen I noticed that during his warm-ups he threw a total of 1 strike. Everything else was off the plate. I knew he was going to get smacked up.

good move on torre's part in taking wang out. No need to over-extend him on such a hot day with the all-star break coming up and a chance for the pen to rest.

my arms are so red tho, it was a hot day :)

Posted by: Corey [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 8, 2007 11:58 PM

oh and that was one of the best waves i've ever been a part of. There was very few people in that crowd who didn't participate.

Posted by: Corey [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 9, 2007 12:02 AM

-------

Too bad he didn't have the same wisdom with Posada. As a former catcher, you would think Torre had some sympathy for the guy. He catches an extra-innings game in the brutal heat the day before and has to come back and catch a day game in equally hot weather. They take a ten-run lead and he leaves him in? With the guy flying off to San Fran to play in the All-Star Game?

Seemed pretty odd.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 9, 2007 12:26 AM

good point, i didn't even think about that.

Posted by: Corey [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 9, 2007 12:35 AM

Agreed about Posada. Also, minor quibble, but it might've been appropriate had Torre given Brian "He's dead to me" Bruney a little work in the 8th or 9th.

My big question is how's Joe going to make it through the next three days without being able to use Proctor?

Posted by: brockdc [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 9, 2007 12:48 AM

Posted by: kallardnyc [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 9, 2007 06:47 AM

//I sit in my box in the left field tier every Sunday and watch the clowns attempt the wave. And every time it is met with the same response, "This is not Shea!" Knock it off.//

Good know that someone up there has some sense. "Take the wave to Shea" always had a nice ring to it. The "sucks" ban in the bleachers seems to have left us powerless against the wave though, which well, sucks.

The absolute worst is when some clown tries to start one during a critical time in a close game. Seriously, you'd rather stand up and go "wooo!" than cheer on your team? In fact, I blame the wave for Posada's strike out yesterday. He was so disgusted he couldn't concentrate on his at bat.

Posted by: Jen [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 9, 2007 12:22 PM

You guys are not alone. I refused to leave my seat too.

'The Wave' is something that West Coast baseball teams did in the 1980's. It has no business showing up at Yankee Stadium in 2007, IMHO.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 9, 2007 01:03 PM

My favorite response to the wave was a game againts the Rangers. Pettitte was pitching. No idea why I remember that. But someone started the wave, and it came from left field, around home plate, over to right field, and when it came to the bleachers, everyone just stood up and flipped off the wave. It was cool to just see it stop dead. And it was a weekday evening game, so not too many kiddies to corrupt...

btw Steve, there was a fake you on Pete Abe's LoHud last night. I called him out and he claimed to be the real you. So if anyone makes reference to something you may have "said," and you don't remember saying it, that may be why.

Posted by: snowball003 [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 9, 2007 01:09 PM

Thanks snowball - I had no idea. What did the fake me say?

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 9, 2007 02:14 PM

Someone was being a fake Pete Abe too. And of course there was Fake Jason Giambi, because that's what they do. I don't usually read the comments on his blog because there are so many, but when I can't really watch the games (in England, no tv and even if there were, they only occasionally pick up the ESPN feeds of games), it's actually helpful to read some reactions). Anyway. He claimed to have deleted all the comments by fake people.

Fake you was probably that same dude he was here a few weeks or so ago. I could tell it wasn't you because he was doing is comma every other word thing, and using IMHO and ", no?" in inappropriate places. Fake you said something about Robbie Cano and staying out too late partying. Nothing terrible, but a few people questioned "you" about it, so just in case someone comes on here asking you about stuff, you know why!

Posted by: snowball003 [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 9, 2007 03:12 PM