« July 21st vs. The Devil Rays - Game 1 | Main | July 21st vs. The Devil Rays - Game 2 »

July 21, 2007

Jeff Kennard For Jose Molina?

That's what the rumor is, now, at the Stadium. Here's what I wrote about Kennard last year, at this time:

Yes, he's 25-years-old. Yes, this is now the 4th year in a row where he's spent time in Double-A.

But, and this is just a guy feeling, I think he could be a Scot Shields-type late bloomer. His sinker has been great for him this year.

I hope the Yankees don't give him away to pick up some dud before the trading deadline this season.

Looks like I was a year early on those fears. Is Jose Molina really that much of an improvement on Wil Nieves? Molina's lifetime BA/OBA/SLG coming into today: .238/.276/.339 - in 1,062 PA.

Why bother?

Posted by Steve Lombardi at July 21, 2007 10:05 PM

Comments

Well, I guess the Angels get another Scott Shields. Kay just said it was official.

Just as Nieves was starting to hit - against Devil Ray pitching.

Posted by: dave24s [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 21, 2007 10:27 PM

I think the Yankees thought Molina was more of a defensive upgrade than an offensive one. The problem with Nieves is that he can't hit and people run wild on him. At least with Molina you have a good framer and someone with a strong arm.

Don't sweat about Kennard. I like him. I thought he had decent stuff, but he's nothing to cry about. He is NOT Scot Shields. He's not a poor man's Scot Shields. He's not Scot Shields lite. There is no comparison there.

Last year Kennard showed up with a power fastball and pitched well, but he was still prone to getting lit up on occasion. He's been solid this year, but he's still in AA. Losing him is not that big of a deal, especially since there are so many guys ahead of him on the depth chart. I wouldn't be surprised if Whelan was called back up to Trenton to take his spot.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 21, 2007 10:56 PM

Molina should be a (very) slight upgrade offensively, and huge upgrade on D.

for his career, he's nabbed 41% of base stealers vs. Nieves' 24%.

Posted by: Travis G. [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 22, 2007 12:28 AM

Comparing Kennard to Shields is insulting. You were obviously wrong a year ago and look even sillier for reminding everyone of your stupidity. Kennard has now spent five years repeating AA! He simply doesn't have the control and lacks an above average pitch to succeed at higher levels. He’s a career minor leaguer.

As for "Jose" Molina. I am glad you define catchers only by their offensive stats. I guess those things they wear on their bodies during games is just for show, eh?

Now I will teach you something. Molina happens to be one of the better defensive catchers in the game. Why even bother to have a baseball blog if you don't even know this? Look at his CS% for his career. And at this point, Nieves would kill for Molina's lifetime stats. Please also look at his 2006 and 2004 seasons where he gave you exactly what you want out of a backup catcher. Just play good defense and don’t have sub .400 OPS like sucky Wil Nieves.

"Why bother?" What a great line. So the Yankees should never bother to upgrade a position? Thank god you don’t have an important job and are just an overweight non-factor in society.

Posted by: DougG12 [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 22, 2007 03:33 AM

DougG12 is right on the money. Comparing a Double A scrub to an established Major League set-up man is asinine. What is with you people? You whine about how lousy the team is and then you complain when Cashman actually does something to improve it. "Oh my God, that minor leaguer we gave up could, in some quantum universe, turn out to be the next Mariano Rivera." Hey, news flash, Sherlock: you have to give up something to get something. Every propsect has the chance to be the next somebody. Most of them turn out to be the next guy to check your oil at Citgo. That's why trading low-level prodpects for proven commodities makes sense. If you'd rather watch Will Nieves flail away for the next two months, then you need to quit complaining about the lousy bench.

Posted by: Tex Antoine [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 22, 2007 08:19 AM

Gee, I guess some people are missing the part where I said "he could be"? I'm just saying he's a prospect - that's all. Chill out, already. As far as Molina, can he catch and throw? Sure, maybe. But, wasn't that what everyone said Nieves was good at too, at the start of the year?

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 22, 2007 08:33 AM

The difference is that Molina has been in the league for six years. We KNOW what he can do. People were SAYING Nieves was a good defensive catcher to cover their behinds for keeping such a non-entity on the roster. When he played, we saw that he couldn't hit, catch, or throw. At least Molina can do two of those things adequately.

Posted by: Tex Antoine [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 22, 2007 09:29 AM

Wow, where'd those two come from?

I guess every couple of weeks some new yahoo's show up.

Posted by: dave24s [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 22, 2007 10:42 AM