« Mel Hall Arrested | Main | SOTD: The Days Of Mussina Rolling A Hard Seven Are Over »

June 24, 2007

June 24th @ The Giants

When Bobby Abreu plays in a game that the Yankees have won, he's had at least one hit in 32 of those 36 games.

When Bobby Abreu plays in a game that the Yankees have lost, he's had zero hits in 20 of those 37 games.

I'm beginning to believe, as goes Bobby Abreu, so does the Yankees offense. Either the Yankees have to get Abreu going well again...or, they have to get another "three-hitter" in the line-up who can bat well consistently.

Then again, the Yankees also need to start getting more than 5 innings (or less) from their starting pitchers. And, they need to have guys come out of the pen and be able to hold a game close. And, they need to play better defensive baseball...the list goes on.

The 2007 baseball season is now 45% in the books for the Yankees. And, it's not been a pretty story - sans a period from May 30th to June 17th. (In those 19 good days, they played 17 games and went 14-3.) If you take out that nice run from May 30th to June 17th, the Yankees record is 22-34.

When the Yankees are hot, they're red hot. But, when they are not, they're down right terrible. It will be interesting to see if they're hot more than they're not over the remaining 55% of the season.

Totally unrelated to anything...we took the kids to go see the Lakewood BlueClaws play today. Antonella Barba sang God Bless America during the seventh inning. Ronan Tynan has nothing to worry about.

I had a lot more fun watching the BlueClaws today than seeing (the last four innings that I caught of) the Yankees game this afternoon. Why do I have a feeling I'm going to be able to say "I had a lot more fun doing 'X' than seeing the Yankees game today" at least a few more times this season?

Posted by Steve Lombardi at June 24, 2007 08:24 PM

Comments

You know what the worst part is? And I'm no "stat guy" but you can almost tell that they are going to lose on the days they lose.

I don't know how to explain it but after the fourth inning today, and right after Myers sucked yesterday, I knew they would lose. Ever since that long losing streak I've been able to tell just by the way they play and the way they look and the way they bat.

I heard one of the announcers say today that Cano was batting over .300 this month. It's probably true, but dammit I cannot believe that. He is so frustrating to watch and is quickly becoming my least favorite player on the team, below Farnsworth even!

And the worst part? I don't think there are any moves they can make to improve this team.

Posted by: dave24s [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 24, 2007 09:07 PM

Hey Steve, I was at the BlueClaws game today too!

You're right, it was more fun than watching the big boys play today. Especially listening to the last half of the game while sitting in Parkway traffic. (Hell, I probably had more fun yesterday watching the pig races at the Meadowlands Fair than watching that game too.)

Posted by: Jen [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 24, 2007 10:22 PM

So now that Moose's last 2 starts have been losses, and this one being sub-par, does that mean baby goes back in the corner (i.e. no more personal catcher in Nieves, in case someone missed that brilliant post by Steve)? Or is Moose "locked in" (i.e. crotchity old man) and won't want to go back to the normal idea of a day off for Posada?

I do realize, though, that Posada probably would have gotten today off, regardless of whether Moose started or not, after 13 innings yesterday.

Posted by: snowball003 [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 24, 2007 10:36 PM

Small world Jen! Where were you sitting?

snowball003 - watching Nieves try and throw out a stealing Ryan Klesko today was enough, for me, to put him back in a corner.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 24, 2007 11:00 PM

I was at my cousin's graduation party today, so I was only able to see the mobile version of gameday on my cell phone every so often. By about the 7th inning when I saw Clemens come in, I had everyone sitting around me asking me the pitch-by-pitch, but it doesn't really say anything about errors, really, unless I'm incredibly diligent about refreshing, so I fortunately saw none of that.

I really thought Baby would be able to kick it up a notch. There was that one game v. the Angels that he knocked in the only 2 runs of the game for a long while, and went 2 for 2 with a walk. I was excited, because I can't help but root for a guy so friendly and happy. I guess that day was just a fluke and non-hitting Wil is the real one.

Posted by: snowball003 [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 24, 2007 11:06 PM

I was in Section 109, which is behind home plate, at edge of the screen to the 3rd base side. Where were you guys?

Posted by: Jen [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 24, 2007 11:20 PM

Close! Section 113 by 3B.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 25, 2007 07:35 AM

Steve - great point, I agree that as goes Abreu, so goes the Yankees. He looks lost again now. Also, it seems as though Cano only hits when Abreu hits. What a mess, now the Yankees have the pitching to hang in games and they look lost at the plate, except for ARod. What a mess.

Posted by: wally26 [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 25, 2007 08:18 AM

I'm having more fun watching the Mudhens play.

Posted by: rbj [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 25, 2007 08:28 AM

Then you may be in this picture somewhere Steve.

Posted by: Jen [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 25, 2007 12:55 PM

This game isn't even worth commenting on (it was that ugly), but I will say two things:

Let me be the first to say --

F--k you, Bar-roid Bonds!

If I was Mussina, I would have drilled him in his needle-marked ass. What the hell was that? Calling out Mussina for an intentional walk? As if it hasn't happened sixteen million times and made perfect sense? Yeah, that Bar-roid is a real tough guy. I hope Villone plunking him was a little payback (though I suspect it had more to do with Villone's control).

Bar-roid is a disgrace. And I would be pretty pissed if I was a San Fran fan. If he knows it's a big stage, and a lot of people are watching, suddenly he can run again. I guess he got a nice, fat HGH injection before the game.

Here's the second thing: fire Joe Torre. Just fire this guy now. The second he put Roger Clemens in out of the 'pen Cashman should have dumped his ass.

You have TWO lefties leading off that inning. Ron Villone pitched to ONE batter the previous game and hasn't been used much. Now do you call in your lefty reliever, or do you use your nearly 45 year old starter, who can't pitch an entire season because his body will break down? Is Torre insane? You don't have Roger warm up and sit down and warm up again and come into a game out of the 'pen. It was moronic. Why couldn't Villone just pitch the seventh? Unless you're telling me Torre is a mind-reader and could have predicted the disaster of the later inning, then there is no excuse.

I guess Torre liked the theatricality of watching Clemens pitch to Bonds.

This team is playing like absolute crap right now and I'm glad interleague is over. The Yankees need to get a legit first baseman immediately, DL Damon, and bring up Britton or Ramirez.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 25, 2007 01:49 PM

With the way Mussina & Nieves were going, *I* could've stolen a base off of them.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 25, 2007 05:15 PM