« May 5th vs. The Mariners | Main | May 6th vs. The Mariners [aka Clemens Signing Day] »

May 06, 2007

Starting Pitcher Trade Rumors

From mlbtraderumors.com -

According to Peter Gammons in his blog, the Giants are considering shopping a starting pitcher. Not only do they have Tim Lincecum debuting tomorrow, but Jonathan Sanchez was raised mostly as a starter and hasn't worked out in the bullpen so far.

Gammons says the Giants would target a young position player, and they like Melky Cabrera of the Yankees. He does not think the Yankees would be interested in a Cabrera for Noah Lowry swap.

Given the situation with Damon's back and legs, there's no way the Yankees can afford to trade Melky now...unless it's for a Grade-A, stud, ace of the staff kind of guy. Hopefully this rumor is just Gammmons fluff.

From rotoword.com -

According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Yankees inquired about the Indians' Paul Byrd this week.

With Fausto Carmona looking ready and Adam Miller waiting in the wings, Byrd could have been expendable this spring. However, Cliff Lee went down and missed the first month and now the Indians are going to be without Jake Westbrook for at least a few weeks, making a Byrd trade impractical. Maybe the Indians would be open to the possibility in July, but they'd want immediate help in return and there isn't much the Yankees could spare. Kyle Farnsworth just wouldn't be enough.

Paul Byrd? He's extremely average. But, he is good for six innings a start - that's his average over the last two years. Kyle Farnsworth would not be enough to get Byrd? I find that hard to believe. If the Indians wanted more than that for Byrd, I would pass.

Are the Yankees now shopping for a starter? Or, is this just some teams thinking the Yankees would be interested in getting a starter? Or, is this just the media spinning stories? Perhaps it's a little of all three?

If the Yankees do make a trade for a starting pitcher, it will be very interesting to see who they get and what they give up. Paul Quantrill for Darrell May and Tim Redding? Oh, wait, that was done a couple of years ago.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at May 6, 2007 09:13 AM

Comments

WHatever happened to May and Redding?

Do the Yanks really need to trade for another starter? I'm no genius, but to me, Rasner is an acceptable 5th starter, and when Hughes comes back, there's your number four. Cash needs to swallow his pride and dump Igawa to SWB and rid himself of Pavano.

Who knows, maybe Desalvo shows them something special on Monday, but Rasner has proven himself, I believe, over the last few months - he was acceptable last year, and this year his ERA is better than some of our starters.

I think they should stay away from trading for a pitcher unless it is an Ace type of pitcher.

Posted by: dave24s [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 6, 2007 10:07 AM

I think May retired, Redding was last seen with the Nationals.

These rumors are a bit puzzling to me. The names being bandied about, the Yanks can get similar if not better production in-house.

If anything, I'd say it's a bit too soon

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 6, 2007 10:22 AM

I think you get it right when you say it's just reporters talking out of their asses -- Gammons and Rosenthal do that a lot.

I know I keep repeating myself here, but with the pitching depth in the minors, the Yankees don't NEED to trade for older, ineffective pitchers. The whole point of having guys like Hughes, Clippard, Rasner, Wright, etc., etc., etc., is that you can call them up and get the same or better results.

Also, while Pettitte, Wang and Mussina aren't LOCKS to stay healthy, I think we can assume they'll be alright. You have Igawa, Rasner, Wright, DeSalvo and Clippard (I hope, anyway, that they give him a shot) to fill out those last two spots, and Hughes will be make in a month or so (reports are he came through his tests fine).

Trading for a starter would be a panic move.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 6, 2007 12:23 PM

The only thing that comes out of Gammons' mouth is fluff, which is a shame on the criteria for getting into the Hall as a writer.

Posted by: BronxNYBronxNY [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 6, 2007 01:33 PM

Well, it looks like the Yanks have their 4th starter now

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 6, 2007 03:17 PM

I bet Rasner is saying "what the hell do I have to do to stay in the rotation" at this point.

Let's see how this works out. I sure hope he isn't broken come September, and Oct.

Posted by: dpk875 [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 6, 2007 03:28 PM

If anything, this should be great for Hughes, and some of the other young pitchers

Posted by: dpk875 [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 6, 2007 03:33 PM

there's no shame losing your rotation spot to Roger Clemens though. WOW.

just think, Clemens / Wang / Moose/ Peittitte/ Hughes ? the past and the future all in one , WOW

Posted by: Yu Hsing Chen [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 6, 2007 04:07 PM

Rasner has been great, and could be even better if Torre would stop pulling him after he allows a base runner in the 6th inning while he is at 80 pitches and there are 2 outs. Torre seems to always do this with him. At least give him a chance to get out of the jam. Rasner does deserve a spot in the rotation, and hopefully will have it at least until hughes gets back.

Posted by: Eric [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 6, 2007 04:14 PM

So...no Paul Byrd?

But seriously, I agree with Eric. The guy's throwing the game of his life, with an out to go in the inning, and Captain Hook can't summon the patience to let this kid work out of his own jam. Infuriating, but oh so predictable.

Posted by: brockdc [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 6, 2007 07:09 PM

-----

Oh, my, brockdc. I don't know if you made that up yourself or not, but that is hilarious and PERFECT. Torre truly is Captain Hook -- and I think you've just created his perfect nickname.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 6, 2007 07:44 PM

The Captain Hook has been around for at least 30 years. I think I first heard it about Sparky Anderson in the '70s.

Posted by: RICH [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 6, 2007 07:49 PM