« April 14th @ The A's | Main | Britton Up, Who's Going? »

April 15, 2007

Looking Ahead To The First Red Sox Series

According to BostonHerald.com, it looks like the Yankees will be facing Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett and Daisuke Matsuzaka on April 20th through the 22nd. The game against Matsuzaka will be a Sunday nighter on ESPN. As of now, and it's still a big question mark, Carl Pavano should be on the mound in that Sunday night contest for the Yankees. (Further, it's anyone's guess who will be pitching for the Yankees in the other two games.) It could be a rough three days in Fenway.

Worm Killer Wang is supposed to make another rehab start on April 19th. Since he did so well in his first rehab outing, should the Yankees just consider giving Wang an extra day and have him start the first game in Fenway on the 20th? It's worth noddling, in my opinion.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at April 15, 2007 12:04 PM

Comments

The mystery is who pitches tomorrow and on Saturday. Moose apparently is fine. Rasner is scheduled to go Thursday in Cleveland. I guess you could skip Rasner, let Moose pitch Thursday, and throw Rasner to the lions and have him pitch in Fenway on Saturday (seems a bit cruel). Or you can hold Moose until Saturday (which seems like a long layoff).

As it stands right now, Pettitte in game one and Pavano in game three. We can only hope the hype about Matsuzaka pitching to the Yanks has the same effect on Pavano that it had on King Felix and Pavano pitches a nice, clean game (no one-hitters expected).

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 15, 2007 01:03 PM

I'm proud to say that I will be sitting nine rows behind home plate wearing my Yankees garb on Saturday the 21st.

I thought I read somewhere that they may throw Moose on Friday night and Pettitte Saturday night. A once in a lifetime opportunity to be so close to the rivalry, I kind of don't want to see Rasner. I hope he does well, but selfishly, I'd like to see Moose, Pettitte or even Wang.

Originally, Matsuzaka was scheduled to pitch the 21st and I was real excited to see that. But that's baseball I guess.

Here's to hoping I don't get beat up!

Posted by: dave24s [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 15, 2007 01:42 PM

//The mystery is who pitches tomorrow and on Saturday.//

Nobody pitches tomorrow. There's no game. I remember reading somewhere that Henn may get a start if someone else can't go this week.

Posted by: Jen [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 15, 2007 01:56 PM

There's no sense in rushing Wang back just to face Boston for a three-game set in April. Even if the Yanks get swept in Boston, would it really matter? I will state again - and will continue to do so for all those that need reminding - the 2005 Yankees had as bad an April/May as one could imagine and STILL won the division. So who cares if the Yanks fall five games out of first on April 22nd? There's more than enough season, and more than enough firepower (and money) to get this team to where it needs to be in September and October.

A healthy Wang in 2007 is more important than any pride involved in beating Boston in April.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 15, 2007 01:58 PM

~~~Here's to hoping I don't get beat up!~~~

You should be fine in that location. Just be prepared to hear a lot of smack.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 15, 2007 02:15 PM

~~~Why is it anyone's guess who pitches the other two games? Pettitte's next turn (after today) is Friday night in Fenway. So he goes in game one.~~~

I wasn't sure if they would use the off-day, and skip a turn, and stay in rotation or not. So, Pettitte could pitch Friday, or, they could give him another day's rest and have him pitch on Saturday. That's why I said it was anyone's guess as to who pitches when.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 15, 2007 02:20 PM

Wang isn't eligible to come back until the 23rd, anyway.

He was put on the 15-day DL March 23rd, and he wasn't taken off 15 days later, so another 15 days is required.

Posted by: Andrew [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 15, 2007 02:24 PM

Andrew - I've never heard that rule in my life. You don't add another 15 days. It just means that he can come off any time.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 15, 2007 02:36 PM

Oh.

Posted by: Andrew [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 15, 2007 02:46 PM

----

D'oh! I did actually know this. I was even looking at the schedule as I wrote it. Ha ha ha. Anyway...

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 15, 2007 03:15 PM