« RAB To Track A-Rod's LI | Main | Time For Jeter To Follow A-Rod & Nomar - And Move Off Short »

April 05, 2007

April 5th vs. The Devil Rays

A: The rear view of an adult male baboon with external hemorrhoids.

Q: What is almost as ugly as the way the Yankees, as a team, played in this game.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at April 5, 2007 11:05 PM

Comments

When Joe said that the conditions play a role in this kind of play, I said to myself, "Oh, bullshit, stop making excuses"... And then it started to snow.

I'm not excusing what has been an abominable defense, but it was bitterly cold out there.

It was just a really bad game for Jeter and Posada. Pettitte didn't look sharp and the missed time showed. Jeter, Abreu and A-Rod not able to tie the game up with men on was the biggest disappointment on offense. Myers' inability to get the lefty out was the biggest disappointment on the pitching end (if he can't do that, he's even more useless than we thought).

Vizcaino got himself in and out of trouble, which was mildly impressive.

This game had a kind of "blah" quality to it, despite it being Pettitte's return. The extra two days off have wrecked any continuity. I think once the team gets on a roll they will play better. (After all, we're only two games in.)

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 5, 2007 11:33 PM

//It was just a really bad game for Jeter and Posada//

And yet somehow Posada was named player of the game on radio.

Posted by: Jen [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 6, 2007 12:28 AM

surely there have been worse loses... you know, like 7/4 of last year ... Chacon against the Indians... eeek

Posted by: Yu Hsing Chen [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 6, 2007 05:41 AM

Bailey...I was at the game last night. Not defending them, because they played pretty horribly, but the conditions HAD to be a factor. It was painfully cold. Not baseball weather AT ALL. I was so geeked by the fact that I was there for Andy's return, and the coldness sapped me of any enthusiasm by the second inning. Just miserable all around.

Posted by: bfriley76 [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 6, 2007 09:31 AM

I was there, too. And I got humbled real quick, I left the game after the 6th inning. I couldn't take it anymore. I can't remember anytime in my life where I left a game early, but it just wasn't fun last night. First time ever being at the stadium felt like work and not fun.

What an aborition of a game though....disgusting.

Posted by: Garcia [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 6, 2007 09:42 AM

It was so bad that by the 8th inning we were debating whether we would rather have extra innings or just take the Yankee loss.

Posted by: Jen [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 6, 2007 09:43 AM

Was it cold? I bet it was cold. I was there for the Opener in 2003. Now, *that* was cold. So cold that I lost the feeling in my feet, up to the ankles, by the 7th inning.

But, it was cold for the D-Rays too last night. Saying that it was cold, as an excuse for the Yankees last night, is, well, just an excuse.

And, IMHO, a poor excuse. The Yankees played last night like a team that was not interested.

If this happened - where a team walked through it on Day 2 - for a Jim Leyland or Lou Piniella team, we'd be talking about body counts today. I've yet to see it, but, what was Torre's reaction to the game? Anyone have that?

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 6, 2007 10:46 AM

During the post game interview, every other word out of Torre's mouth was "you know".

Posted by: ChrisXS [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 6, 2007 10:56 AM

You want body counts already? After 2 games? Did you want one after the first game?

It's a long season. If you want people thrown overboard already I'm glad you're not managing any team I like to follow.

Posted by: RICH [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 6, 2007 11:10 AM

~~~You want body counts already? After 2 games?~~~

No, after one game, last night's {wink}

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 6, 2007 11:22 AM

Nonsense. You don't start freaking out and talking about body counts after the second game of the season. How was this game Joe Torre's fault? He's not fire and brimstone so now the team is apathetic? Come on, is Lou ranting and raving after watching the Cubs get their #1 starter smoked on opening day?

I hope you're saying this stuff sarcastically (sarcasm is sometimes hard to pick up on over the internet) because otherwise you're being the worst example of what Yankee fans have become. WE WERE WELL UNDER .500 IN APRIL 2005 AND STILL WON THE DIVISION! CHILL!

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 6, 2007 12:02 PM

I dunno. Many say that this:

was a big thing for the Tigers last year. It sent a message. Maybe, just maybe, this Yankees team needs to hear the same type of message? Maybe.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 6, 2007 12:11 PM

I'm sick of hearing about Leyland and even more sick about how that tirade turned the team around. Why couldn't he come up with a tirade to save the end of the season, where they flushed their huge lead and eventually lost first place in the division? Like the White Sox's season before it, the Tigers' season is being rewritten.

Twice -- at the end of the year and during the World Series -- Leyland's team fell asleep on him. No one seems to remember that.

It wasn't Jim Leyland yelling and screaming that made Kenny Rogers gain three miles an hour on his fastball and pitch like an ace in the playoffs.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 6, 2007 12:48 PM

Man, would it have killed MLB to begin the season down in Tampa?

Oh, right, common sense. My bad.

Posted by: brockdc [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 6, 2007 02:00 PM