« Getting MIMS-sical On 46 | Main | Humberto Sanchez Cooked »

April 19, 2007

April 19th vs. The Indians

I swear, I started writing this entry during the bottom of the 9th today, after Phelps' HR with 2-outs....and it started like this:

"El Diario Vizcaino," he, he not so good today, amigo.

But, on the flip side, it was not as if the Yankees bats were exactly "En fuego!" either today. One Han Solo by Giambi, another late by "The ESB" - with an Abreu RBI-single on top. Dat's it.

Now, the seven-and-seven Yanks head to Beantown for three at the Fens. I'll be happy with one win this weekend - and thrilled if they can get two....

Then, Posada singled. And, Damon walked. That was followed by singles from Jeter and Abreu...leading to...Alex Rodriguez.

Oh, my, god, what a finish!

I said it four days ago, and, I'll say it again. Alex Rodriguez has turned into Roy Hobbs. It's incredible. What a story this has become...it's hard for me to even type this, as my hands are shaking. Really, they're shaking.

What a moment. I'm pretty speechless at this point. If I can get my composure, I'll add more to this in the comments section later. I gotta go find someone to high-five now and get this out of my system.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at April 19, 2007 04:33 PM

Comments

TELL ME ABOUT IT, STEVE!!!! I was screaming my ass off here!!!!!

BOSTON HERE WE FUCKING COME!!!!!!

BTW, what did the Yanks do the last they were in Boston? I can't remember!!!!

Posted by: Garcia [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 19, 2007 05:05 PM

We just gotta hope that Pettitte can save the bullpen since there's no way that Karstens/Wright will be able to give us more than 5IP each. Our bullpen is being taxed at an alarming rate right now...

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 19, 2007 05:11 PM

God bless SlingBox...
Seating at work., watching the game on my laptop. I yelled so loud I think both floors heard me. I'm done for the day, gonna have to go home. Too excited to work.

Posted by: rmd0311 [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 19, 2007 05:22 PM

Now let's see if A-Rod can keep this up in a genuine "pressure" series. Hope so.

Posted by: zgveritas [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 19, 2007 06:01 PM

Jeeezzzussss....

If A-rod only hits 1-2 homers this next series he may just make me like him again :-p

Posted by: Straylightrise [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 19, 2007 06:25 PM

I can't understand why the Yankees didn't take Steve Philips advice and trade A-Rod in the off season. He obviously can't handle the pressure of playing in New York. I'd go so far as to say the Yanks should have fired Brian Cashman and hired Philips -- he's obviously a smart GM.

Posted by: rbj [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 19, 2007 07:04 PM

zgveritas:

You're right. Wins against the Red Sox do count as three wins in the standings, after all.

...Some fans will just never be convinced...

Posted by: mehmattski [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 19, 2007 07:22 PM

~~~I can't understand why the Yankees didn't take Steve Philips advice and trade A-Rod in the off season.~~~

Because A-Rod has a no-trade clause that he wouldn't lift?

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 19, 2007 07:50 PM

I nearly cried when that ball went out. I almost cried again on my way home hearing the replay on the radio. And when they get to it during the replay on YES I may just cry for real, since there's no one here to see me.

Posted by: Jen [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 19, 2007 08:51 PM

Let it all out Jen - it's good for the soul!

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 19, 2007 09:01 PM

OK, so, I just watched the replay on YES - and, I'm still in awe. A-Rod's HR was a bomb.

Two things to add, having now just watched the whole 9th. A-Rod deserves a huge hand for this one - but, then again, so does everyone else who reached base in the 9th. I would hand out 6 game balls for the 9th inning alone.

Lastly, how sad is it that such a great moment happened and there were probably only 7,000 people there to see it. Imagine how nuts the place would have been if there were 40-50,000 there when it happened?

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 19, 2007 09:37 PM

I don't think it's sad. I take great joy in it actually. Cause there are a few thousand people out there kicking themselves that they left early (There were people that gave up after the HR by Martinez in the 7th). And it serves them right. This game epitomizes the "this is why you don't leave early" cliché.

Posted by: Jen [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 19, 2007 09:53 PM

I was one of those 7,000!

Posted by: The Sporting Brews [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 19, 2007 11:26 PM

Wow. Just wow.

Posted by: brockdc [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 20, 2007 01:13 AM

Hey Steve, that's funny. I actually did a similar thing with A-Rod's walk off slam earlier this season. I was reading the recap and I had Yahoo! GameCenter, or whatever it's called, open. It was in the 9th with 2 outs.

It was Igawa's debut, so I started writing from that angle and then I wrote something about them losing and I stopped because it felt weird. We hadn't lost yet. So, I stopped writing and just watched the GameCenter. The direction of the recap changed a bit after it was all over. hehe.

Posted by: pokeefe [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 20, 2007 12:41 PM