« From FT 1B...to...FT DH...to PT DH? | Main | The Pride and the Pressure »

January 10, 2007

January 2007 Survey Question # 2

Read any good Yankees books lately? What's your favorite one?

Update, 1/16/07: This poll is now closed. "The Last Night Of The Yankees Dynasty" gets the nod. To see the results, click on the thumbnail below:

Posted by Steve Lombardi at January 10, 2007 03:05 PM

Comments

What, no October '64? They lost the Series, but that was a terrific book. By David Halberstam, who also wrote Summer of '49 I believe.

Posted by: Jersey [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 10, 2007 04:21 PM

I was limited to 10 for the poll. But, if anyone has a book that they think should have been included, yes, please do mention it in the comments section here. Thanks in advance!

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 10, 2007 05:08 PM

"Luckiest Man" is a good one.

Posted by: j [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 11, 2007 12:22 AM

Steve, Two of my faves...

"The Decline and Fall of the New York Yankees" (Jack Mann, 1967)

"Outrageous Good Fortune"
(Michael Burke, 1984)

Burke's Yankee chapter is chock full of inside (re: truth) info on the Steingrabber takeover.

Posted by: Repoz [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 11, 2007 01:20 AM

Only 4% for "A Hero's Life"? You people must be high.

Posted by: Jason O. [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 11, 2007 09:15 AM

If the question were what is my favorite book the answer would be: Dynasty: The New York Yankees 1949-1964. But since the query was what was the best book, I had to vote for "Summer of '49." I agree with the reader who posted Jack Mann's "Decline and Fall." That was a great one too.

Posted by: MMTDad [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 11, 2007 10:02 AM

Though I'm sure it's great, I've never read Olney's "Last Night" which is the leader in the poll. The subject of that 7th game (though I know it is just a literary device to discuss that entire Yankee run of championships) is just too painful for me. I have a copy of the book and promised myself to read it after the Yanks won another series. I was sure it was going to be read this past November but I guess it will have to wait at least another year on the shelf.

Along the same lines, it was hard for me to read "1964" since it conjures up memories of that lost 7th game. I ran home from school in time to catch the last couple of innings of that game and wept like a baby when Bobby Richardson popped up to end the game. Although I've never gotten over that one (among other tough Yankee losses like the 2004 debacle) but enough time has passed for me to be able to read the book.

Posted by: MMTDad [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 11, 2007 10:09 AM