« The Farns For Lieber? | Main | Keith Law: Yanks Farm Rates »

January 26, 2007

A-Rod's March To 500

Alex Rodriguez needs 36 more homers to reach 500 for his career. It's very possible that milestone should be reached this season - as it's pretty accepted to project a 40-HR season for A-Rod in 2007.

Thinking about this leads to some questions for me.

How should the Yankees handle career homerun # 500 for Alex should it come at the Stadium? Should they just let the fans react to it, with an announcement on the scoreboard? Or, is this cause for a stop the game, have a moment on the field thing - since there's a good chance that A-Rod would be the youngest player to reach 500 homers?

At this time, I think it makes more sense to just let the fans react, etc. It's not going to help Alex's image to stop the game and stick a microphone in front of him at that moment.

Secondly, is the race to 500 a good thing for the Yankees in 2007? You know that Alex is going to start to press when he hits #499. Anyone who thinks different has not been watching A-Rod over the past year. If it's a close race for the A.L. East, and it's late in the season, do the Yankees really need Rodriguez jumping out at every pitch trying to hit his 500th homer? Won't that just lead to more booing and more pressing?

It will be interesting to see if these questions become a big deal for the Yankees and A-Rod this season. I think it's more likely that they will - rather than they do not.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at January 26, 2007 01:38 PM

Comments

Oh please.

Has any team, ever, stopped a game to acknowledge a 500 HR?

If it happens at The Stadium there will be a message on the scoreboard something along the lines of congratualting him on his 500 HR or simply alerting the fans to the 500 HR.

Obviously he will press when he gets to 500...like Jeter pressed when he got to 2000, or Clemens pressed when he got to 300, or Bonds pressed when he got to 699.

I think you are trying to create a bigger deal out of this than what can legitimately be expected.

Posted by: Jeteupthemiddle [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 26, 2007 02:25 PM

Eddie Murray was given a nine minute standing ovation and a banner reading, "CONGRATULATIONS EDDIE 500" was lowered over the ivy covered wall in centerfield at Camden when he hit his 500th.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 26, 2007 02:57 PM

I think that's a bit different, as Murray already had 10 years with the O's and meant more to the organization than Rodriguez means to the Yanks.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 26, 2007 03:14 PM

I think he should be allowed to speak, I'd like to hear something to the effect of one of Bobby Knight's great speeches:

"When my time on Earth is gone and my activities here are passed, I want they bury me upside down, so my critics can kiss my ass."

If ARod were to say something like that, then he'd get a lifetime of respect from me.

Posted by: Garcia [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 26, 2007 03:17 PM

I think he should be booed for 5 minutes.

Posted by: Nick from Washington Heights [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 26, 2007 04:45 PM

~~~ think that's a bit different, as Murray already had 10 years with the O's and meant more to the organization than Rodriguez means to the Yanks.~~~

Aw, man, now you're going to hurt Alex's feelings if you say that to him.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 26, 2007 05:07 PM

Aw, man, now you're going to hurt Alex's feelings if you say that to him.
=======
lol

I can see him getting that kind of treatment if he hit #500 with the M's...

It can go either way. Personally, I don't see the Yanks treating #500 as any other HR.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 26, 2007 05:45 PM

i predict a message on the big board, a standing O, then the game continues.

then prior to the next Stadium game, he'll probably read a short speech, then be presented with a plaque or something, by the living members of the Yanks 500 HR club, which i guess is just reggie.

(then he'll go 0-4 with 3 k, and 6 lob and get booed.)

Posted by: Travis G. [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 26, 2007 08:21 PM