« Mark Melancon News | Main | 2006 Fielding Independent Pitching Stats »

November 10, 2006

Yankees Looking For RH-1B

From Newsday -

The Yankees will build toward the 2007 season with the idea that Jason Giambi is their designated hitter, general manager Brian Cashman said yesterday. That means the team will be in the market for a first baseman, preferably one who hits righthanded.

"That's kind of how I see it," Cashman said. "Some days Joe [Torre], on the field, makes decisions based on the roster and makeup of that day, injuries, pitching matchups. That's when [Giambi] could be at first. But I see him as a DH."

On the free-agent list, righty hitters with experience at first base include Rich Aurilia, Nomar Garciaparra, Jose Hernandez, Kevin Millar and Eduardo Perez.

Cashman said Andy Phillips, who shared the first-base duties with Giambi and trade acquisition Craig Wilson, could be in the mix. The Yankees could find a fit on the trade market as well.

How about moving A-Rod to 1B, Jeter to 3B, and then trading Gary Sheffield to the Astros for Adam Everett (to play SS) and Chad Qualls (for bullpen help)?

Yeah, I know, I should not drink and bake...or post.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at November 10, 2006 09:42 AM

Comments

That's a solid plan, SL. The major problem is moving King Jeter from his rightful throne at SS.

One gets the feeling that he'll play there for a long, long time.

Nomar is intriguing, if only for a possible Damon-esque RS-killing potential...

Posted by: Jason O. [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 10, 2006 10:14 AM

Of course, that will never happen, but I like that trade idea. Everett is an unbelievably great fielder who would help the pitching staff significantly.

Posted by: jonm [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 10, 2006 10:16 AM

the difference between jeter and everett in the field is between 2 and 4 games in favor of everett. offensively, jeter is worth far more than 4 wins over everett. while it is nice to say that we are building a team based on defense, we should not do it at the expense of winning baseball games.

Posted by: adam [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 10, 2006 10:27 AM

Adam,

You're right, but you would also have to factor in whatever defensive value Jeter at 3B would have over ARod and whatever value ARod would have over Giambi at 1B. I still don't think that the Yankees would additively come out ahead, but I think that there is a possibility here that the size of the defensive improvement may be bigger than sum of the parts.

Posted by: jonm [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 10, 2006 10:49 AM

Everett’s no upgrade, I’ll take a good hit-decent field SS over no hit-great field SS any day of the week.

He had his troubles this year, but A-Rod is no slouch at third, he’d be wasting away defensively at first.

Once Sheff’s gone, the lineup will be very LH heavy, so they’d need someone to balance out to lineup, and that sure as heck ain’t Everett.

I’d like to see Sheff go for Lidge, then Farnsworth go for Shoppach, then Jorge can take a break and play 1B twice a week or so. Eh?

Posted by: Mike A. [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 10, 2006 10:53 AM

then Farnsworth go for Shoppach
----------------------------------

I see no reason to trade Farns. I was, BY FAR, his harshest critic on this site (Bailey/Steve, back me up on this) but I think he pitched pretty well on the overall.

What is it about Brad Lidge that has everyone so excited? If you don't have the stomach for an occasional blown game by Farns, why would the current unofficial leader in horrendous outings make you happy? Brad Lidge CAN BARELY STAND PITCHING IN HOUSTON! Geez...

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 10, 2006 11:34 AM

Why not just keep Sheff as the everyday 1b? Who else will Arod bounce ideas off of?

Might as well keep Wilson and Guiel on the roster too for now.

That being said, if you can get an A reliever like Lidge, you make that move. Is he still having problems or has he worked himself out?

Posted by: ChrisXS [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 10, 2006 11:41 AM