« Mike Myers From Toe-Kay-Oh | Main | Kei Igawa »

November 07, 2006

Rocket & His Puppy Coming Home?

From the Daily News -

Two old New York friends filed for free agency yesterday and though neither Roger Clemens nor Andy Pettitte has decided whether to play next season, the Yankees intend to inquire about both, according to a team source.

The Yankees have talked internally about pursuing Pettitte, who left the Bronx after the 2003 season to sign with his hometown team, the Astros. And Pettitte apparently has told confidants that he would consider a return to New York, if he does continue to play.

Pettitte, meanwhile, is considering retirement, though he is 10 years younger than Clemens.

"I know it's difficult maybe for people to understand," Pettitte told MLB.com last week. "I'm just not sure if I want to play, so I'm just trying to take some time back. Obviously, for me to feel that way, I have some serious burnout.

"I know I'm young. I realize I'm young. Just right now, I don't know exactly what I want to do."

I've had enough of Carpetbagger Clemens already - so, I would pass on him. But, I love Andy Pettitte. I know that he can still be an effective pitcher based on age, talent, etc.

Yet, his comments here concern me. If his 'head is not maybe into it,' then, I don't want him finding out for sure on my dime. If the Yankees go after him, they better make sure that he's 100% committed in wanting to play.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at November 7, 2006 09:47 AM

Comments

Been there done that. Why would the Yankees even consider bringing Roger back after his disgusting performance after his last game as a Yankee? All his comments, his kids grabbing dirt, forget it, he left!

And his puppy Andy, 14-13 in 36 games. In a WEAK national league. Again been there done that.

The Yankees made the correct call on this guy, he hasn't been anything like the pitcher he was for the Yanks. His elbow isn't right, and now he isn't sure he wants to play, forget it.

Posted by: Ghostwheel [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 7, 2006 10:15 AM

Little bird told me that Andy will go through the motions, conclude that he's got another two years in him, and sign up for same. He's leaning toward NY if they'll have him. He's enjoyed being home and will play in Houston if the Yankees don't offer, but he also sees that life after baseball as a retired member of YankeeLand (maybe with a plaque in CF) is a pretty nice place to be for the rest of his life.

I'm a bit worried how much he has left. But if he signs, he'll give it his all; that much we can all be sure about.

Posted by: #15 [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 7, 2006 10:32 AM

Is it just me or does Pettitte seem like a pretty odd guy? Maybe, he's been spending too much time with Clemens who is a very weird guy.

The Yankees did make the right call three years ago on him. Houston got one injury-plagued season, one very good season, and one average season in exchange for a lot of money. If the Yankees could get him for say, $15 million, over two years, he's probably be worth it as a fourth starter.

Posted by: jonm [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 7, 2006 12:06 PM

-------------------------------------------
One thing I'm sure of is that Pettitte won't sign if he's not going to give it his all. I don't think that's the kind of guy he is so I expect that he'll either retire or decide that he's refreshed after a good long offseason and will get into shape for 2007. In other words, I don't think anyone that signs him will have to worry that he's half-assing it.

That being said, I would rather the Yanks take a pass on Andy. Outside of 2005, he's been average to below-average in Houston and it's not going to get any easier for him back in the AL after three years away. And if it's only between the Astros and Yanks, then taking a pass on him means that the Yanks don't have to worry about anyone else in the AL East getting into the action.

As for Roger, I see no reason why the Yanks shouldn't approach him if he'd be interesting in playing for the team again. He's shown no indication that he's slowing down. Obviously it would be unrealistic to expect a sub-3.50 ERA but he's certainly still a good pitcher and he's a hell of a lot better than RJ at this point. I refuse to get caught up in all the whiny crap about how he retired or unretired...the bottom line is that the Yankees aren't making the playoffs without average starting pitching and they're not advancing without good starting pitching. Right now, other than Wang and Moose, the Yanks have nothing and Clemens wouldn't be a bad sign, no matter what the cost. After all, it's only money, it's not costing players, I'd LOVE to have Phil Hughes spend a few months with Roger down in Tampa come February and March.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 7, 2006 12:21 PM

If they can help, go for it.

If Pettitte isn't right, I see no reason he wouldn't walk away. Clemens would be good insurance if RJ's back isn't where it's supposed to be.

As for 2003, he is entitled to change his mind. I hold no grudge for that.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 7, 2006 12:30 PM

As for 2003, he is entitled to change his mind. I hold no grudge for that.
---------------------------------------
Couldn't agree more, Raf.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 7, 2006 01:08 PM

The Yankees need to bring Clemens back. If they sign Da, er Mat, er that Japanese phenom the average age of the rotation will dip below 100 years. Can't have that lack of experience among our starters. May want to contact Bob Feller too.

Posted by: rbj [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 7, 2006 02:05 PM