« Soriano To The Cubs | Main | Derek Jeter's MVP Case - By The Numbers »

November 19, 2006

Madden: Yanks Not High On Kei Igawa

From the News -

Next week, the No. 2 regarded Japanese pitcher, soft-throwing Hanshin Tigers lefty Kei Igawa, who was 14-9 and tied for the Central League in strikeouts last year, goes up for posting, and while the Yankees are expected to make a bid, they regard him as a back-of-the-rotation starter. In other words, they wouldn't mind having him in the spring training mix, but aren't going to go overboard for him.

Igawa won strikeout titles over in Japan in 2002, 2004 and 2006. He must have some sort of stuff, no?

Posted by Steve Lombardi at November 19, 2006 10:15 PM

Comments

His fastball is supposedly only in the mid 80's so I doubt that would cut it in the AL East

Posted by: Kyle [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 19, 2006 11:36 PM

Lee Gutterman 2.0?

Posted by: brockdc [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 20, 2006 12:44 AM

========
Depends. Jamie Moyer has done quite well for himself.

Any video of Igawa? I wonder if he uses some sort of unorthodox delivery, like Sid Fernandez or Randy Tomlin.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 20, 2006 09:38 AM

In video, I've seen his FB as high as 92. And he seems to have a decent slider and change.

Click on my name for some video.

Posted by: Travis G. [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 20, 2006 03:59 PM

====================

Nope, delivery's pretty straightforward. Gun has him at around 90 consistently.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 20, 2006 05:05 PM

Raf, my memory must be getting hazy. What was so funky about Sid Fernandez's delivery? From what I recall, it seemed pretty much "normal."

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 20, 2006 05:25 PM

El Sid had a low 3/4 delivery that seemed as if he was shotputting the ball. John Candelaria had a similar, if not the same delivery.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 20, 2006 05:44 PM