« In Carl Cash Trusts | Main | Yanks Win Rights To Kei Igawa »

November 28, 2006

Let Me Count The Ways.....

Here's how Manny Ramirez has killled, er, performed against the Yankees since he's been a member of the Boston Red Sox - in total and in 14 select game-type situations:

ManRamSoxYanks.JPG

Stats via the Baseball Musings Day-By-Day Database.

Take some time and run through the stat lines for each of these situations listed. Ramirez has owned the Yankees since 2001. If Boston does trade him to the National League, or to a team that does not play the Yankees 19 times a season, it will be a blessing for New York. There's no question about it.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at November 28, 2006 02:05 PM

Comments

Ramirez has owned the Yankees since 2001.
==============
Be that as it may, from 2001-06, the Sox have won the season series once (2004), and haven't finished first since 1995 (not quite sure what to make of 2005).

While I'd be happy if he were traded away, I wouldn't be TOO concerned if the Sox don't move him

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 28, 2006 02:55 PM

The Yanks-Sox have been neck-in-neck for years now.

Regular season, since 2002, NY has gone 35-31 against Boston - and it's 21-18 since 2004. That's just about .500.

Without Manny, the Yankees have a much easier go against Boston.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 28, 2006 03:16 PM

Also, from 2003-2005, the Yankees went 20-19 against Boston in the regular season. Manny was a big part of that .500 record as well.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 28, 2006 03:17 PM

I really hope Manny goes far away from the AL East. Anyone know what NL teams the Yanks play in '07, aside from the 6 Mets games?

Posted by: rbj [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 28, 2006 03:47 PM

The Yanks have the NL West on the interleague docket. 3 apiece in San Fran and Colorado and then 3 game visits from the Dodgers and either San Diego/Arizona (dunno which one yet).

I'm with Steve on this one. Sure, Boston has never topped the Yanks in the regular season standings since Manny's been up in Boston but it doesn't change the fact that he has hit the Yanks incredibly well and, furthermore, is probably more than 50% of the reason why the Papi/Manny duo is so lethal. No amount of statistical analysis will convince me that JD Drew, Julio Lugo and _______ will replace what the Papi/Manny-induced headache does to Red Sox opponents.

Of course, improved pitching for Boston will go a long way to them bouncing back from a disappointing 2005 and possibly topping the Yanks in the standings (with Wang/Moose/RJ/Pavano/?, I'm not optimistic about 2007), but nevertheless, I'm just not scared of JD Drew.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 28, 2006 04:02 PM

====================
Lugo's an upgrade over the cast that manned SS last year for the Sox, JD Drew is injury prone. IMO, a lot depends on what the Sox get back for Manny.

It really doesn't matter if Ortiz has his "protection" in the order, if people decide to walk him, it just means he'll have a ridiculous OBP.

With Ortiz, think Bonds-lite; Can't remember the last time he had someone decent "protecting" him in the order, but he still hit his HR's, he still got on base, he still hit. I suspect Ortiz will be the same.

I'm not sure why the Sox are going so hard after Drew, a talented but injury prone player.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 28, 2006 04:34 PM

Not for nothing, but Manny's owned every team he's ever played against. The man can flat out rake.

Posted by: Mike A. [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 28, 2006 06:22 PM

The reason why I like the JD Drew signing is this:

1. He's replacing Trot Nixon - Boston's lovable "Dirt Dog".
2. He comes with baggage and needs to win over their rabid fan base.
3. He's injury prone.

Those 3 factors mean that he'll force himself to play hurt or maybe hurt himself by trying to overcome the stigma that's been associated with his name. That means it'll be great for the Yanks. Manny's no longer in the lineup, they got a new FA that has something to prove, and they have a bunch of players being put into the foray of this crazy rivalry. I love it...bring it on Boston.

My favorite Manny moment was when the Yanks were playing Boston back in April of 2004, they had already lost 2 games at home, and they bought Javy to pitch on short rest for the last game to prevent the sweep. I think the game was tied, Manny comes up to bat and Javy gets ahead of him 1 - 2 and Javy throws him a hanging curve ball and Manny launches the ball deep into the gray sky helping complete the sweep of the Yankees. He's a f'ing talent and I respect the pride of Washington Heights a great deal. Just get out of Boston already.....

Posted by: Garcia [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 28, 2006 06:25 PM

Yankees win rights to the 'other' Japanese pitcher. Igawa I believe. $25 million.

Posted by: Don [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 28, 2006 07:04 PM

Apparently it doesn't matter how much a team bids, because the Japanese 'owner' of the player can reduce the winning bid to help 'facilitate' a deal.

Posted by: Travis G. [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 28, 2006 07:56 PM

Don is right.

I will have a write up on this news later tonight

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 28, 2006 08:00 PM

I'm jumping the gun, but so far this offseason has been a letdown. Granted, there isn't much out there, but to me a key area that needed to be upgraded was the bench, especially the backup catcher spot, and the Yanks get outbid by Toronto? Granted I don't know all of the circumstances of the deal, but it's time to upgrade from the Fasano/Turner/Flaherty types and Zaun was a great way to do so. And then they go out and spend $25 million just to talk to a guy from Japan who is very lightly regarded?

Posted by: JeremyM [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 28, 2006 08:21 PM

JeremyM,

How do you know the Yankees were outbid or even made an offer? Perhaps Zaun wanted to stay in Toronto with decent money and implied playing time.

Zaun would have been nice but to think the money put aside for bidding and eventually signing Igawa kept them from obtaining Zaun is likely mistaken.

Posted by: RICH [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 28, 2006 08:40 PM

That's why I wrote "Granted I don't know all of the circumstances of the deal";)

Posted by: JeremyM [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 28, 2006 10:14 PM