« Kabak: Yanks Fans Fail To Represent | Main | October 6th @ The Tigers »

October 06, 2006

Wang's Home Alone

Thanks to WasWatching.com reader "bfriley76" for the tip on this from the Post:

Chien-Ming Wang didn't accompany the Yankees to Detroit because he wouldn't be available until Game 5 at Yankee Stadium.

Despite Andy Taylor's instructions to Barney Fife, in this case, I think it's insane to keep your only bullet in your shirt pocket.

If the Yankees lose tonight, a loss in Game 4 means there will be no Game 5. Therefore, if the Yankees lose tonight, Game 4 is the key game of this series. You need Game 4 before Game 5 is of any concern.

If you still want to start Wright in Game 4, that's fine. But, at least have Wang there to spot him - like Johnson in Game 5 of the 2005 ALDS and Mussina in Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS - if needed.

And, if Wang is not needed in Game 4, the flight from MoTown to New York is not going to kill him for Game 5. Heck, I've spent longer trips in my car driving to Yankee Stadium than Wang will have to sit on the plane.

Torre is making a mistake here.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at October 6, 2006 02:41 PM

Comments

I agree with you on this one.

Posted by: RICH [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 6, 2006 05:17 PM

In a clinching or "save our season" game, I'd rather Wang go on short rest than give Wright a start.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 6, 2006 05:32 PM

Have a quick hook, but start Wright. Wright pitched well enough late to have reasonable person conclude that he's capable of being effective for at least 5 innings. If he can give us even 3 or 4 good innings and keep us in the game, Joe has my permission to burn up the bullpen however he needs to to get the game finished. Mo for 2, Farns for 2, Scottie for 2, Bruney till his arm falls off. I want Wang to pitch in Yankee Stadium in game 5. Of course, if Randy's in the cluhouse in the second inning, and Lidle can't make it happen, disregard everything I've said.

I'm not really gripping just yet. I still like our chances and our team

Posted by: #15 [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 6, 2006 06:32 PM

I posted that Wang wasn't in Detroit earlier in the day.

Posted by: Don [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 6, 2006 07:01 PM

i disagree, either way the yankees need two wins, so you might as well let wang pitch on normal rest.

also, tonight when randy is pitching, i think lidle should be warming up in the bullpen from the first pitch, and johnson should be yanked at the first sign of pitching like playoff randy johnson.

Posted by: adam [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 6, 2006 07:39 PM

Pity there's no game thread for me to kvetch on.

2005 ALDS all over again. Overrated team loses again. Man, I'd do anything to take back all the times I defended Alex Rodriguez. I was wrong on him - he's absolutely a worthless player. Stats be damned, the guy can't do a goddamn thing right.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 6, 2006 11:09 PM

What happened to this team? A few months ago they were the best team in baseball. Now, frankly, they stink. They make Kenny Rogers look like Cy Young, and they can't even MOVE A RUNNER OVER! Could it really be Matsui and Sheffield returning to the lineup? I think that's part of it, but it's too simple. Though I have to say there was a SHIFT in this team when those guys got back. The team just wasn't the same anymore.

Tonight was a disgrace. At least with Verlander you have a guy throwing 100 miles an hour. What excuse do they have about Rogers (who has quite a pair of balls to celebrate the way he did, considering the way he's pitched in the post-season)?

The Yankees need to purge some of the stink on this team. Johnson has to go. A-Rod has to go. Sheffield has to go.

It's obvious to me that the player the Yankees need is Philip Hughes. They need another young stud pitcher to go along with Wang. We can't count on old hacks like Randy Johnson to win. Jaret Wright is not the answer. If the Yankees want to finally get beyond the first round next year, they'll bring up Hughes out of spring training, dump Johnson somehow, and make some kind of inventive trade/move (like bringing in Matsuzaka).

I think the Yankees will probably lose tomorrow. But if there's a miracle -- Wright goes five and Proctor, Farns and Mo clean up his mess -- and this gets back to Yankee Stadium, I'll take the Yanks. I doubt that happens, though.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 6, 2006 11:26 PM

~~~I posted that Wang wasn't in Detroit earlier in the day.~~~

Must have missed it Don. Sorry.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 6, 2006 11:43 PM

=========
After all that was said about him (justified or not), he had every right to celebrate.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 7, 2006 02:39 PM

And now, we're starting to experience what Braves fans went through.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 7, 2006 02:41 PM