« The Voice In A-Rod's Head Speaks - To Us! | Main | No Record Of Pavano Crash »

August 29, 2006

The Three Faces Of A-Rod

Three things that we know to be true about Alex Rodriguez this season:

1. He does not bat well when the Yankees are trailing (in score) and it's a close contest.

2. He does not bat well when facing a pitcher in a game for the first time.

3. He does not bat well when there's a runner on third base and there's less than 2 outs.

These three facts, when examined together, support the theory that A-Rod is pressing this season - and that's his biggest problem.

Basically, in spots where Rodriguez feels that he has to make something happen - he fails. I wonder if Jim Fannin is focusing on these areas with Alex?

This all also makes me think that, if the Yankees can get A-Rod into a spot where he doesn't need to be "the man" - like in 2005 - then perhaps Alex will rebound once that happens.

But, until that happens, I suspect that we will continue to see what we're seeing from Rodriguez this season - strikeouts and double plays in big spots - and a failure to step up when needed.

This whole thing reminds me of the best baseline in the history of modern popular music. I won't say it - because then it will stuck in your head for hours.

And, as the three faces of Alex Rodriguez has shown us this season, having something stuck in your head can be a bad thing.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at August 29, 2006 11:11 AM

Comments

A-Rod thinks way too much when he's in the batter's box. You can't think about hitting a 95 mph fastball, you just have to react to it.

It's easier said than done, but he just needs to shut off his brain and let his instincts take over.

Posted by: Mike A. [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 29, 2006 12:31 PM

Thank goodness for Pavano, only 4 of your last 7 threads have been about Arod.

Posted by: RICH [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 29, 2006 12:38 PM

I'm sure that A-Rod's camp doesn't mind the Pavano news today.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 29, 2006 12:43 PM

I always thought the best baseline in the history of popular music is the opening to the theme song for "Barney Miller," http://tinyurl.com/8c5vc, but maybe that's just me.

Posted by: festus [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 29, 2006 01:34 PM

Festus, I'm right there with you. That Barney Miller theme song is tops.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 29, 2006 01:46 PM

So far these past few days, Alex has consulted with John Wooden and Reggie Jackson. Maybe he should sojourn to Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Hawthorne and commune with Babe Ruth.

Posted by: Don [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 29, 2006 01:56 PM

He was the highest paid played in baseball. He was booed at home and one the road. One of his quotes " If I lead the league in homers and runs batted in and win the MVP award and we win the World Series, they'll say he should have done that, look what they are paying him". "If I don't do it it will be my fault"

He is now one of the most cherished Yankees.

Reginald Martinez Jackson

It's all one big cycle

Posted by: Jason [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 29, 2006 04:47 PM

Cherised??? Reggie??? Huh??? Right up there with Winfield, I suppose. Sometimes I struggle with the concept of who is, and is not, a "real" Yankee. At other times, like with these two, it's a pretty easy and clear call. With Reggie, I like'd the dingers and RBI's (hated his dogging ways in the field (where he couldn't carry even an aged Paul Blair's shoes), but cherised, never.

Posted by: #15 [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 29, 2006 05:52 PM

One last thought, A-Rod is struggling, mightily, right now, but he'll still be a factor for the good for the next 5 years. Players do have bad seasons...you can look it up.

Posted by: #15 [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 29, 2006 05:55 PM

Cherised??? Reggie??? Huh??? Right up there with Winfield, I suppose.
=========

If you think about it, from the way he left town to having his # retired in Monument Park, it's not that much of a stretch :)

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 29, 2006 11:19 PM