« August 15th vs. The Orioles | Main | Jeff Karstens Coming? »

August 16, 2006

The E-Rod Watch

For those interested, Alex Rodriguez is now on pace to make 29 errors in the field this season.

The last time the Yankees had a "3B" with that many errors in a season was 1945 when Oscar Grimes had 31 errors. The time before that was 1914 when Fritz Maisel had 35 errors.

In the last 20 years, only 11 men playing third in the majors have had 29+ errors in a season. Here's the list:

Adrian Beltre 1999
Aramis Ramirez 2003
Bobby Bonilla 1989
Bobby Bonilla 1988
Dave Hollins 1997
Dean Palmer 1993
Ed Sprague 1999
Gary Sheffield 1993
Mike Lamb 2000
Russ Davis 1998
Todd Zeile 1993
Troy Glaus 2000

If Alex's fielding woes continue over the next month, the Yankees should consider removing him late in games, especially during the post-season, for defensive purposes, when they have a lead of less than three runs.

The last thing that A-Rod needs now is a Bill Buckner moment on his resume.

Funny, just a year or two ago, so many wanted A-Rod to play SS in the Bronx (and move Jeter to another position). You don't hear that now, very often, these days.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at August 16, 2006 12:33 AM

Comments

Chances of A-Rod coming out late in games in the playoffs: zero.

I think maybe he should just sit when Moose pitches. He's cost him how many wins now? Three? It always seemed like Moose would never get to 20 wins because of bad luck. Now it's because of Alex.

At this point I consider this a lost season for Alex (not that his numbers are horrible, but he's clearly not going to straighten himself out). My question now is: does this carry over to next year? Will we have to deal with the endless A-Rod nonsense AGAIN? And if we do, will he opt out of his contract and leave?

Should be interesting.

A little off this topic, but whenever this team gets you nervous, just sit back and relax and think of the influx of young pitching we're going to have over the next few years. Hughes, Clippard, Cox, Kennedy, Melancon -- and all sorts of other young guys. It's quite relaxing.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 01:10 AM

--------------------------------------------------
That was the exact thought I had when he missed that fastball right down the middle from Lackey last night. The longer this season goes, the more I think we have to realize that A-Rod is not going to come out of this funk this year.

I think he'll straighten himself out and continue his stellar career next season. But I can't claim to have as much confidence in that as I used to.

Posted by: DFLNJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 01:22 AM

Just a thought, but, if things really get desperate, Torre could always flip-flop A-Rod and Wilson, not that Wilson's an amazing third baseman or anything. At this point, though, anything's an upgrade.

Posted by: brockdc [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 04:00 AM

"Will we have to deal with the endless A-Rod nonsense AGAIN? And if we do, will he opt out of his contract and leave?"

Does he have an optional termination clause in his contract that would allow him to leave? Not that he would; I don't think he'd ever admit defeat like that. Plus, that's a lot of cash he'd be leaving on the table...

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 07:50 AM

The ARod errors are an issue. Forget the ESPN feeding frenzy; they have no credibility.

But in the real world they do mean something. Last season the Red Sox had a 30-error guy and he was shipped out of town as soon as possible.

Maybe it is only (only?) 21 errors but the confidence of every pitcher and most of the team is shattered.

The Yankees are in a rough place. What can they do? They cannot sit ARod because they need his bat.

They cannot DH him because that would put Giambi at 1st. Giambi is a greater defensive liability at 1st than ARod at 3rd. That is not a testament to how good ARod usually is but as to how bad Giambi is in the field.

They cannot trade him unless he asks for it because of a full no trade clause in his contract. It is unlikely they will get equal value, because most teams probably consider him “damaged goods” because of his drastic decline in skills and recently reported secret injuries.

So what do the Yankees do? Smile and nod until 2010?

Someone on another blog wrote that Alex is playing out of position. Sorry, third year at 3B is not out of position. The ARod defenders are out in full force questioning anyone who criticizes him as a true Yankee fan. When will the ARod soap opera end?

Posted by: Paul [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 08:02 AM

I don't think it will ever end Paul. Not unless he hits and fields like he did last year. And, I don't think we'll ever see that from him in NY again. This thing is too deep into his head now.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 08:48 AM

Why do you think it will "end" unless he hits and fields like he did last year? The fans hated him last year, too. It's more acceptable now to boo him.

I hope some nut doesn't start throwing batteries.

Posted by: RICH [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 09:14 AM

I am a fan and I do not hat A-Rod. I like him in fact. Yes, it's an off year for him, but I see no reason why he shouldn't bounce back next year, unless for some unfathomable reason people get it into their fool heads that he's a bad player and run him out of town on a rail.

Posted by: rbj [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 09:39 AM

//The fans hated him last year, too.//

Got any proof of that RICH? I seem to recall him getting M-V-P chants around this time last year.

Posted by: Jen [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 09:57 AM

//The fans hated him last year, too.//

==============

The A-Rod Dealio With Most Yankees Fans

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 11:32 AM

===============
That ship sailed long time ago. Maybe when he first came here, but after now three years @ 3b it doesn't make any sense to move him.

Besides, if Jeter is to make the move from short, it will be his decision. I cannot see it happening any other way.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 11:44 AM

---------------------------

I thought it was after this year, but it's actually after 2007. According to what I read on-line, if he doesn't get an eight-million-dollar raise he can opt out of his contract after the '07 season.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 12:02 PM

There's no chance he will opt out because he wouldn't get $25 million a year (or even close) on the open market. That's not just an indictment on him either, the market is just not there for that kind of deal anymore.

Posted by: JeremyM [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 02:21 PM

Do I have proof the fans hated Arod last year? Only the gratuitous sniping he's had to take since he's come to NY.

They were chanting "MVP" but I think only because he was in competition with Ortiz. All of the people pointing out what they think he can't do has been present since 2004.

I was and remain a fan of Arod.

Posted by: RICH [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 02:33 PM