« Jeter Advice: Keep It Simple & Don't Worry About Your Stats | Main | Here's (To) Johnny! »

August 19, 2006

Ponson, Bruney, Out. Karstens, Guiel, In.

Via Peter Abraham -

The Yankees designated Sidney Ponson for assignment and optioned Brian Bruney to Columbus. OF Aaron Guiel and RHP Jeff Karstens were called up from Columbus and made 7:30 a.m. flights to Boston.

Man, I hope to see Bruney back in 10-12 days. In fact, I would rather see him in a game now than Dotel.

On the plus side, it's See-Ya Sidney time! Finally.

I like Guiel. But, would not a back-up CF and pinch-runner be more useful now? Did Bubba Crosby burn his bridge on the way out? And, what's the story with Kevin Thompson?

Maybe the Yankees are thinking about platooning Guiel and Wilson at DH when Damon is in CF and Giambi is at first base? That might not be a bad idea. But, would Torre then bench Bernie? Other than that, I'm not sure how they would use Guiel now.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at August 19, 2006 12:53 PM

Comments

C'mon, Steve. This is the Torre universe. BERNIE is the backup centerfielder.

I think Guiel is here to a defensive replacement and a lefty bat off the bench. He'll also give someone a spell during this series (he can also play first base).

Here's one thing to worry about: with both Wilson and Guiel on the roster, how is anyone going to be able to tell those guys apart? (They'll have to watch for the lefty-righty thing before saying hello.)

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 19, 2006 01:17 PM

One of the Kevins had a separated shoulder down in AAA.

Posted by: Scott Coulter [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 19, 2006 01:33 PM

Kevin Thompson is out for the rest of the year with shoulder injury. FOX mentioned Giambi is nusing a sore groin which played into calling up Guiel.

Posted by: Ghostwheel [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 19, 2006 02:37 PM

I thought that was Reese who went down for the season.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 19, 2006 03:28 PM

That's why I said one of the Kevins, I'm not sure which one!

Posted by: Scott Coulter [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 19, 2006 05:18 PM

Yes, it was Kevin Reese who is out for the year.

Posted by: Paul [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 19, 2006 05:28 PM

I doubt Crosby burned his bridge since he is still in the system (I still think he handled that very poorly). Guiel still has options so maybe that factored in here and he's on the 40-man already (if that's even an issue).

Posted by: JeremyM [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 19, 2006 05:50 PM