« August 26th @ The Angels | Main | August 27th @ The Angels »

August 27, 2006

Pavano Out - Again?

From the Post -

Carl Pavano is running out of body parts to break down.

Following his rehab start for Columbus (Triple-A) Friday night, Pavano talked of a problem with an oblique muscle, and there is the possibility he will be shut down.

Asked to confirm the problem before yesterday's game, Joe Torre said he couldn't until he talked to GM Brian Cashman. After the 12-7 loss to the Angels, Torre said he still hadn't gotten in touch with Cashman.

I guess it could be worse.

Just imagine a player with the head of Alex Rodriguez and the body of Carl Pavano.

It's much better to have these issues spread out over two ballplayers - then, at least, it's not all bad news all the time with one specific player, I suppose.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at August 27, 2006 09:55 AM

Comments

Oh, my great fucking God. This can't be true. It simply CAN'T. George King is a notorious bullshit artist. I won't believe it until it's confirmed. You have to assume that if Pavano said this after his rehab start, it wouldn't just be coming out today. I don't think the Yankees would have made themselves look like fools.

But if it is true, then it's over for Pavano. I would almost have to believe the insanity that he's "scared" to pitch. If not that, then he's physically incapable.

I really hope this isn't true. Because if it is, Pavano literally will never play for the Yankees -- or anyone.

I hate to steal a line from that weasel Joel Sherman, but in a perfect world we would be able to take Wright's heart and put it in Pavano's body.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 27, 2006 11:03 AM

Isn't this the same guy that pronounced himself ready to go after this same start? I hope this latest isn't true, but most likely it is. The Yanks could've used a fresh arm too, since Wright seems to have lost it. Well, that will be the last time I depend on Carl Pavano.

Posted by: JeremyM [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 27, 2006 11:27 AM

===========================
I don't think that he's "scared." Just brittle.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 27, 2006 11:38 AM

Brittle, physically incapable -- tomato, tomahto.

I never bought into the "scared" idea, but every time he's close to returning an injury pops up. Thought it was bullshit before, but maybe people have a point. If he's hurt again I seriously think the Yankees will buy out his contract.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 27, 2006 12:39 PM

I've been saying all season, the only time I'll believe Pavano is off the DL is when he throws his first pitch for the Yanks. We've heard it too many times that he is almost ready, or will be back soon.

Posted by: dpk875 [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 27, 2006 12:40 PM

Does anyone remember back in 2000 when Adrian Hernandez (the supposed second coming of El Duque) was supposed to start a game and he begged off at the last minute with some bullshit injury or illness? Clemens was scheduled to start the next game as he was on 3 days rest that day. Well, he ended up taking the ball and while he didn't pitch very well, the team scored a ton of runs and he got the win. After the game he was very pointed in his comments toward Hernandez, although he never called him out by name. That was an awesome Clemens moment.

Anyway, I sure would like someone to have a Clemens moment with "Jake" Pavano. I have tried to give the guy the benefit of the doubt because I figure these guys made it this far because they have something inside of them, but he's lost me if he doesn't make the start this week for New York. We really need to draw up one of those charts of the human body, with notes next to his various injured parts. And I'm sure he'll be taking notes on Melky's impending root canal as that is one card that he hasn't pulled (although he may be in line to lose his 30-year molars or something soon...)

Speaking of Clemens, any chance we could pry him from Houston for the last month:) I'm kidding- I think.

Posted by: JeremyM [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 28, 2006 01:03 AM

===============

Seeing as he would have to pass through all the NL and most of the AL, I'd say "no"

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 29, 2006 11:46 PM