« Nah, They Would Never Do It...... | Main | Walk This Way »

August 01, 2006

Opening Day II

A comment by "Carla" to a recent WasWatching.com entry triggered this question in my brain today:

How many Yankees fans are looking forward to tonight's game with the same level of excitement that is usually reserved for Opening Day?

Personally, it feels like an "Opener" to me.

Basically, because of where the Yankees are today (standings-wise) in the loss column, the off-day yesterday, and the new talent added to the team in the last two days, it's as if 2006 is now a 60-game season (and today is the "Opener").

It's the Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays - whoever wins the most over the next two months takes the A.L. East. (And, Toronto is starting out in a hole).

There will be no tricolored bunting hanging from the upper-deck at the Stadium tonight. But, I'll still be seeing it in my mind.

Who should throw out the ceremonial first pitch? Given the way that many Yankees fans feel today, maybe it should be Brian Cashman?

Posted by Steve Lombardi at August 1, 2006 01:53 PM

Comments

I agree, although I wish Boston had lost last night to even the slate. Oh well.

espn is so lame. To be fair, I can't read the article, but, Buster Olney's headline in his insider article says that the Reds made the best deadline deals. Yeah.

Anyway, I went on a vacation and was going crazy not being able to read the reaction to the Sal Fasano deal, let alone Bobby Abreu and company!

Posted by: JeremyM [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 1, 2006 02:17 PM

Steve, I'm so excited about tonight that I picked up a ticket just a few hours ago. I'm literally counting down the hours until I hop on the train and I'm pretty sure the crowd will be into the game at 7:08 for first pitch. Hopefully we get a win tonight and start this Opening Day II with a bang.

I have a streak of attending Yankee debuts and I don't to miss out on this one.

1997 - Hideki Irabu
1998 - Orlando Hernandez
2000 - Denny Neagle
2002 - Raul Mondesi

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 1, 2006 02:40 PM

Irabu, Neagle, and Mondesi.
Slowly, I turn..........

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 1, 2006 03:10 PM

I'm so excited I'm bringing my camera tonight, which I rarely do for mid-week night games.

Posted by: Jen [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 1, 2006 03:35 PM

You should get some good Abreu shots from the bleachers.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 1, 2006 03:50 PM

Well I have to admit now that Tom Verducci's analysis of Abreu's impact on the Yankees has brought me back to earth a little bit.

Is he just being contrary since all other analysts think this was a steal for the Yankees? Or does he have something? The decline in SLG month to month is alarming. Do we really think Abreu just needs a change of scenery?

I'm wavering, guys; help me out here. Here's Verducci's analysis:

Posted by: carla [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 1, 2006 05:15 PM

Thanks for the link, Carla. Normally, I find Verducci to be pretty level-headed in his assessments, but it seems he's really trying his damndest to accentuate the negative here. The bottom line is that the Yanks gave up virtually nothing to acquire Abreu. Even IF he stinks, it's really only money - and, in that case, Cash would probably pick up Sheff's option next year for insurance. Either way, I don't see how this can possibly "blow up in their face," as Verducci writes.

Posted by: brockdc [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 1, 2006 05:38 PM

Has felt like an opener to me for 2 days now.

Posted by: Scott Coulter [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 1, 2006 05:46 PM

Do we really think Abreu just needs a change of scenery?
''''''''''''''''''

don't think going from a hitter's park to a pitcher's park is going to help. Having said that his numbers have been pretty consistent.

Anyone have his RSAA? I think they've been on the decline, though I'm not sure