« August 14th vs. The Angels | Main | Expect Friday Night Fireworks At Fenway »

August 15, 2006

Joe: A-Rod Hurt? I'm Clueless

From Peter Abraham -

Alex Rodriguez claimed on Sunday that he had injuries earlier this season that should have put him on the disabled list.

That came as news to New York Yankees manager Joe Torre.

"Obviously it was nothing debilitating because he was out there every day," Torre said. "Guys have to deal with things on a regular basis. ... But there is nothing that he's had a great deal of treatment on."

Rodriguez missed two games in early June because of a stomach virus. He has started all 113 other games but told the New York Post that the injuries hampered his swing and led to his throwing errors.

Rodriguez did not say what the mystery injuries were and stuck to that position yesterday.

"I'm not going to get into that," he said. "I don't want to put any excuses on anything I do. When I stink, I stink, and when I'm good, I'm good. I don't want to put it on something that's not relevant.

"For the last three or four weeks, I've felt 100 percent. It feels good to play that way."

Just what the Alex Rodriguez Saga ™ needs - a little "he said, she said." (Or, should that be "she said, he said"?) Jeepers, how long until the fans in Boston suggest that A-Rod's "injury" is related to Pavano's past sore buttock's injury?

Posted by Steve Lombardi at August 15, 2006 08:30 AM

Comments

I hate to be called an A-Rod hater again. But everyone talks about how A-Rod is struggling because of the press and the pressure of New York and the fans booing him, etc. Has anyone seen what's going on with Paul LoDuca? This guy's private life is on the front page of the paper every day. They talk about how he's banging teenagers and gambling. Today one of his bangees even mentioned that he was "good but below what (she) expected" in bed. I don't see LoDuca falling apart on the field. If Paul can deal with this, then I think every athlete on every New York team should be able to deal any anything that comes his way. And I HATE Paul LoDuca.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 15, 2006 11:24 AM

Maybe LoDuca has no soul and therefore no remorse for what he has (allegedly) done. It's probably easy not to fall apart when you're an (alleged) cold-hearted bastard.

Posted by: Jen [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 15, 2006 12:19 PM

Would anyone even notice if LoDuca fell apart? Maybe he'd hit 5 HRs instead of 6. I think the statistical expectations are just a tad bit higher for ARod. ARod's struggling will result in 40 HRs and 130 RBI. LoDuca's struggling will result in a 40 RBI season instead of 45.

Posted by: christopher [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 15, 2006 01:03 PM

What Jen said. I'd rather have a fragile player on the team than a sociopath.

Posted by: hopbitters [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 15, 2006 01:04 PM

Just because you don't hit home runs doesn't mean you can fall apart. After all, A-Rod's "falling apart" was being unable to throw a ball. DoLuca could go through the same thing: throwing balls past second into the outfield all day.

I appreciate Jen's perspective as a woman -- actually, the "cold-hearted bastard" thing made me laugh (sometimes I forget how men and women see things differently) -- but a sociopath? An older guy having sex with young women -- while vile to some -- is normal, typical behavior. The girls weren't underage and while I find cheating on a spouse disgusting, let's not paint DoLuca as a total and complete monster.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 15, 2006 01:18 PM

Shoot, A-Rod had a real nice throw last night, late in the game when an Angel player hit one about 20' in front of homeplate. Alex charged, grabbed it bare handed and made an accurate throw that nabbed the guy by half a step. So why doesn't his successes get as much mention?

Posted by: rbj [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 15, 2006 01:46 PM

Alex made a couple great throws last night and had the game winning RBI (2 feet away from being a grand slam), but apparently he's no Paul LoDuca.

Posted by: christopher [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 15, 2006 02:43 PM

I made a generalization without referring to any specific players. I stand by it.

Posted by: hopbitters [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 15, 2006 03:55 PM

You guys get really idiotic when you defend A-Rod. No one said LoDuca is as good as A-Rod. The point is that when people say A-Rod can't succeed because of the pressure, it's an excuse. If Paul LoDuca can hold it together while his messy divorce plays out on the front pages -- which would make for a good excuse to fall apart -- A-Rod should deal with answering questions from the press.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 12:16 AM

=======
That's because it is an excuse. That A-Rod is the defending AL MVP should silence any nonsense about his supposed inability to play in NY.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 12:03 PM