« Jeff Karstens Coming? | Main | August 16th vs. The Orioles »

August 16, 2006

It's Godot Time

I just read that the Yankees have activated Octavio Godot.

Great, just in time for him to blow some games up in Fenway Park.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at August 16, 2006 05:36 PM

Comments

So you're against the move of losing Veras for Dotel? I think Dotel will pitch as much as Veras has so far and in the same type of situation.

He'll have the same opportunity to blow some games in Fenway as Veras would have.

Posted by: RICH [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 05:49 PM

No joke, Steve.. you might be the most negative Yankee blogger this side of Mahnken. ;-)

I'll go on record as saying if Dotel is 85% of what he was pre-surgery, he'll be a tremendous asset. Shortening games to five or six innings and letting Joe spell the over-worked horses down the stretch.

Posted by: SMinDC [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 06:05 PM

Steve is sardonically referring to Dotel's misadventures in Fenway when he was the closer for Oakland in 2004. My hope is that NOT having to close for the Yankees will allow him to just focus on getting outs.

Posted by: JohnnyC [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 06:08 PM

===========
Ya, I don't see him getting the call before Proctor and Farnsworth in the late innings.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 06:10 PM

The optimal usage for Dotel intially is as a sixth-inning option.

After Villone but before Proctor and Farnsworth.

If he proves effective, then switching duty with Proctor and Farnsworth would be beneficial to all involved.

Posted by: SMinDC [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 06:17 PM

Game Played on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 (D) at Fenway Park

Oakland Athletics IP H R ER BB SO HR
Dotel L(1-2) 0.1 1 2 2 1 0 1

Game Played on Monday, May 16, 2005 (N) at Network Associates Coliseum

Oakland Athletics IP H R ER BB SO HR
Dotel SV(7) 1 1 0 0 0 1 0

If there's anything I'm worried about, it's Dotel's rustiness.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 06:22 PM

Looking at the other link, how wrong was I on Proctor?

Said it before, I'll say it again; I'm glad he got it together.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 06:27 PM

Hey Steve, whenever I want to get depressed about some Yankee move that might have even a smidge of upside, I come here. If you think you're just being a "realist", so be it, but you're one of the most negative Yankfans I've had the privilige to witness. If I had to watch a game w/you at the Stadium I'd probably jump off into the netting like that Scott Harper kid.

Posted by: bloodyank78 [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 06:52 PM

LOL.

Yeah, I guess I have a "Jerome" side to me sometimes.

But, on Dotel, it's all because I never liked him. He's a mini Armando Benitez to me.

I as not thrilled when the Yankees signed him.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2006 10:37 PM

But the Yankees aren't asking Dotel to close.........

Posted by: Don [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 17, 2006 01:12 AM

You don't need to pitch the 9th to feel pressure in NY.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 17, 2006 09:02 AM

I'm surprised to see Dotel this season. I just hope he can give the Yanks some quality innings.

I forget, isn't there someone else out there who's injured and supposed to comeback this millenium? Panera or something?

Posted by: rbj [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 17, 2006 09:43 AM

What I don't quite understand about the Dotel signing is that it was for one year, with no club option. They knew they weren't going to get a full season out of him, so it seems like it would've made more sense to attach a club option to the contract - if he came back and was lights-out, you have him for another year, and if he either didn't come back or wasn't any good when he came back, no harm/no foul.

I thought he looked good last night. The rust was obvious, but he had good velocity and good movement on his pitches. I'd prefer that he didn't have to shake the rust off against the Red Sox, but I'm glad to have him back.

Posted by: Mr. Furious [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 17, 2006 10:08 AM