« Tool Time | Main | General Von Steingrabber's Home Page »

August 02, 2006

In Remembrance

There are certain dates in Yankees history that will always stick with me - like October 2, 1978 and July 4, 1983. You hear the date and right away it brings back a specific memory.

But, of all the dates that have stuck with me (going back to 1973), the one that I will probably always remember most is August 2, 1979.

To anyone under the age of 27, this might not seem like a date that should never be forgotten. But, if you ask any Yankees fan between the ages of 37 and 77 (now), they would tell you a different story.

Knowing that something as bad as that can happen - and did - makes you appreciate the good times now even more.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at August 2, 2006 10:09 AM

Comments

RIP, Thurman.

Posted by: rbj [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 2, 2006 10:31 AM

I'm not old enough to remember him (8/2/79 happened a 5 days after my 4th birthday) but I know who Thurman Munson was, what he represented, and how much he meant to the team, his teammates, and Yankee fans.

I have a feeling that if he were around today, he'd be pretty proud of this 2006 ballclub. They're a lot grittier than folks give them credit for.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 2, 2006 10:45 AM

I wonder how many here remember exactly where they were when they heard of Thurman's death.

I remember exactly and I always note this date. I was watching the Dick Van Dyke show on WPIX and a bulletin came across the screen. I can distinctly remember running to tell my parents about it. They initially didn't believe me. I remember not being able to sleep that night.

Posted by: jonm [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 2, 2006 11:02 AM

I'm not old enough to remember either (I was 2 months shy of my 4th birthday). My brother tells me that we heard about it on the radio on the drive down to Florida. I was probably asleep in the back of the Granada at the time.

Today is also my cousin's birthday and Thurman was her favorite player. What a shitty way to remember someone's birthday.

Posted by: Jen [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 2, 2006 11:30 AM

I was watching the news -- WABC, with Roger Grimsbey. IIRC, it was Warner Wolf who broke the news. Horrible day.

Posted by: rbj [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 2, 2006 11:53 AM

As I shared last year.......

I had just finished my afternoon paper route. I was in my bedroom - resting on my bed. I was listening to Paco on WKTU on the stereo. They interrupted with the news flash. I jumped off my bed and ran downstairs to the living room. My dad was watching Channel 7 - and they broke in with the story too.

To say the least, I was totally shocked.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 2, 2006 12:03 PM

I was 7 years old and home after school with my mom. Heard the news on TV and called my dad to tell him, because he was at work. At first he misunderstood me--he thought the entire Yankees team had died in a plane crash.

It was the first human being whose death meant anything to me. And it is still my least favorite day of the 365 on the calendar.

Posted by: Mike C. [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 2, 2006 12:23 PM

I was holding tickets to my first game at the Stadium.

Posted by: hopbitters [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 2, 2006 12:28 PM

Hop - there was no game that day?

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 2, 2006 12:57 PM

I only know where I was because my mom has told the story so many times - Munson was her absolute favorite Yank. I was 3 months shy of my 2nd birthday, and I was napping while my mom was feeding my 4-month old brother. Then the phone rang. It was my aunt, who had heard the news on the radio. My mom's crying woke me up.

I remember being a kid and watching a game on WPIX one August 2 - don't remember the year - they had Munson's wife in the booth, and the kids were with her. It was a very surreal experience.

Posted by: Shaun P. [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 2, 2006 01:25 PM

As I recall, which may or may not coincide with reality, we were driving up to NY for the next day's game with Baltimore(?). We heard it on the radio first and then on TV when we got to the hotel. I can't remember when the actual game was relative to the announcement now that I think about it (next day? later in the weekend?). I think we spent a few days in NY doing other stuff. All I really remember is the drive up (mainly because of the announcement) and the game. The tickets were my birthday present and I had a good grip on them in case somebody tried to break into our car and steal them while we were barrelling down the highway.

Posted by: hopbitters [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 2, 2006 02:16 PM

One correction to what I wrote above--obviously I was not home from school. It was August, so school was not in session.

Yes, it was an off day for the team. That's why Munson had time to go flying that day.

Posted by: Mike C. [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 2, 2006 04:33 PM