« Joe: A-Rod Hurt? I'm Clueless | Main | VCR/DVDR Alert! »

August 15, 2006

Expect Friday Night Fireworks At Fenway

From the Times -

Unless he needs to use him before then, Joe Torre is set to start Sidney Ponson in the second game of Friday’s doubleheader against the Red Sox at Fenway Park.

“He’s obviously an experienced guy we can go to,” Torre said. “If we call somebody up from the minor leagues, they wouldn’t have that experience. He’s our next best option.”

Ponson’s track record is not encouraging for the Yankees. In 18 career starts against the Red Sox, Ponson is 3-10 with a 6.37 earned run average.

Just as I feared.

This is the baseball verison of a "punt." On the bright side, maybe Manny and/or Ortiz will get sore arms from all the big swinging that they should get in against Batting-Tee Ponson.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at August 15, 2006 08:45 AM

Comments

As much as I hate the idea of Ponson starting a game, I think the Red Sox are in worse shape. They'll be starting some combination of Lester/Johnson/Snyder on Friday, followed by a slumping Beckett and Schilling pitching games 3 and 4.

Sweep Friday, split with Beckett and Schilling, and beat up on Wells. We'll be 6 1/2 games up this time next week.

Posted by: christopher [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 15, 2006 02:16 PM

At this point, I would be OK with NY winning two of the five. Given the conditions, just losing a game in the standings would be acceptable - somewhat.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 15, 2006 02:21 PM

Gotta agree Steve. Two of five isn't too bad, especially if we can sweep the O's or take two and the Tigers take two from the Bosox.

Wang isn't very good on the road (though I'd like eight innings of two hit ball from him) and Pontoon in the Fens..... how many ways to say 'ugly'.

Posted by: Don [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 15, 2006 02:36 PM

I want 3 of 5. I'm not going to be greedy and ask for a 5 game sweep (by the Yankees) with a combined score of 50 - 5.

Posted by: rbj [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 15, 2006 02:51 PM

I'm sorry guys, but 2 outta 5? These aren't the Sox of '04 that we're dealing with. They're more like the O's of '05... I say 4 outta 5...

Posted by: Athos333 [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 15, 2006 03:30 PM

2 out of 5 wouldn't be a disaster, but we're a much better team than the Sox. We should be shooting for at least 3 out of 5. 4 out of 5 is not a stretch. Totally agree with Athos - we need to forget the fact that they are the Red Sox. They are just another mediocre team at this point.

Posted by: christopher [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 15, 2006 03:49 PM