« August 4th @ The Orioles | Main | R.I.P Elden Auker »

August 04, 2006

Crosby Not Bubba-ling Over The News

In case you missed it, the Yankees designated outfielder Bubba Crosby for assignment Friday and recalled RHP Jose Veras from Triple-A Columbus.

According to Peter Abraham -

Torre said Crosby did not take the news well. Crosby left the manager's office, dressed and left the clubhouse without saying goodbye to many people. He refused to speak to reporters. "You guys write what you want," he said.

Bubba is a nice guy. But, hey, even if you're the nicest guy in the world, you're going to get pissed when they tell you that you're no longer on the team. So, I'm not going to get on Crosby for his reaction to the news.

In the long run, I'm sure that Bubba will come to realize that being on the Yankees for almost three years was the best part of his baseball career.

And, he can still catch and run. Someone will give him a chance to keep playing - somewhere - in no time at all.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at August 4, 2006 11:07 PM

Comments

If Bubba had been given the chance to play regulary, he would shown he could hit, too. Remember when he played almost every day last Sept? Bernie's average has been about .265 since 2003. He never had an arm, but by then his range was shot, too. If given the chance, I think Bubba could've at least averaged .265 and saved many of the hits/runs Bernie allowed because of his arm and range.

Posted by: redbug [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 5, 2006 06:47 AM

He might not have been pissed from a baseball point of view but the timing. I'd be ticked off myself if I was cut after an off day and making the (unnecessary) trip to Baltimore instead of finding out after the Wednesday game.

For only that reason I hope the decision was made after the team got to Baltimore.

I have no problem with the transaction though. I guess Green's next when Cano comes back and Phillips will serve as the 2nd reserve infielder too unless he goes next.

Posted by: RICH [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 5, 2006 06:56 AM

Sure, an extra trip, but, an extra day's meal money and service time too, I suppose.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 5, 2006 09:08 AM

I can't say what was going through Bubba's mind, but sometimes when you're angry and/or hurt, the best thing you can do is just leave quietly. You can say always say goodbye later. If I got booted off a team that still had Sidney "The Straw that Stirs the Drink and then Drinks the Drink and Drives off into the Drunken Sunset" Ponson on it, I would have left very quietly too. Well, quietly, until they found Joe Torre's severed head in the garbage can. Could he have handled it better? Probably, but it's easy to judge from a distance.

He had to have had an inkling that it was coming, though. Between him, Phillips, and Green, they were all on borrowed time. Pontoon should be, too, but who knows.

Posted by: hopbitters [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 5, 2006 12:16 PM

Somewhere, on another Yankee site, I'll bet some fan is blaming Joe Torre for this move. With some silly reasoning behind it, such as Torre's using Proctor and Farnsworth on Thursday, so they had to add another pitcher.

Really?

And that poster also posts here.

Bet ya. LOL