« Best Yankees Fans Ever? | Main | Lidle Out, Bruney In »

August 17, 2006

Chien-Ming Wang's Claude Rains Act

If you saw Derek Jeter, Jason Giambi, Alex Rodriguez, Mike Mussina, Mo Rivera, Johnny Damon, Gary Sheffield, Bernie Williams, Jorge Posada, or Randy Johnson walking down the street, in "normal" clothing, without wearing a cap, you would know who they were - when you saw them?

You could probably say the same thing about Robinson Cano and Bobby Abreu - and even Sal Fasano.

But, be honest, if you saw Chien-Ming Wang walking down the street, in plain clothes, without a baseball cap on his head, would you know that it's Chien-Ming Wang - for sure?

I know that I could not be sure. And, it's not a caucasian guy not being able to recognize an Asian guy thing. If I saw Hideki Matsui walking down the street in a T-shirt and jeans, I would know that it's Godzilla when I saw him.

It must be nice for Wang to be able to walk the streets, visit a Mall, see a movie, etc., and not get hassled by the public.

How many other important Yankees get to play that card?

Posted by Steve Lombardi at August 17, 2006 11:40 AM

Comments

Scott Proctor

Posted by: mehmattski [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 17, 2006 12:35 PM

Melky and Cano.
I haven't had their images plastered into my brain for many years.

Posted by: rbj [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 17, 2006 12:37 PM

Paul Zuvella. I'd never be able to pick him out of a police line-up. On the other hand, Wayne Tolleson's mug is etched into my memory.

Posted by: Nick from Washington Heights [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 17, 2006 12:47 PM

I think that I would spot Cano's sleeply eyes and big grin. Melky, that would be tougher.

Everyday players get into your brain faster - because we see their face at least 5 times a game, everyday.

Starting pitchers we don't see as much, in terms of frequency.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 17, 2006 01:04 PM

*shrug* I can't think of any reason I wouldn't recognize Wang.

Posted by: carla [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 17, 2006 06:51 PM

Funny you meantioned, because in Taiwan Wang just made a pretty big fuss and openly said he will not accept anymore interviews from the Taiwan press...

IT's because after that New York Times interview recently the Taiwan media began harrasing Wang's families back home on some of the details, making him mad.

Oh and.. I'm pretty sure you won't recognize these guys on the streets.

Nick Green / Mike Myers / Cory Lidle