« August 16th vs. The Orioles | Main | Best Yankees Fans Ever? »

August 16, 2006

Carlos Pena To The Red Sox

From the Boston Herald -

According to a source, the Red Sox have signed first baseman Carlos Pena, the former Northeastern star who most recently had been playing for the New York Yankees’ Triple-A affiliate. The club had no comment on the matter prior tonight’s game at Fenway Park against the Detroit Tigers.

Pena played in 105 games this season for the Columbus Clippers but exercised an option in his contract and was released, allowing him to sign with another big league team. He was hitting .260 with 19 home runs and 66 RBI. He had a .370 on-base percentage.

Though Pena would likely report first to Triple-A Pawtucket, he could conceivably fill two needs at the major league level: a left-handed bat off the bench and defense at first base.

I wonder if the Yankees feel "used" on this deal? I never thought that the Yankees could be someone's "slumpbuster." But, this whole development sort of smells to me.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at August 16, 2006 10:53 PM

Comments

Why would they feel used? If the Yankees wanted to have him on the major league roster they had months to do it.

Posted by: RICH [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 17, 2006 05:16 AM

Not sure I understand having Craig Wilson and Andy Philips on the team instead of adding Pena. I really rooted for Philips, but at some point you move on. Unless he is a also a back up 2b/3b, not sure how he helps the team. Pena would have provided a nice left handed bat.

But I wonder how Pena feels if the Boston trading for Henske is true...

Posted by: dave [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 17, 2006 08:05 AM

Why were the Yankees used? Pena wants to return to the bigs, the Yanks could have called him up, they didn't, so as per the agreement, Carlos gets to sell his services to another team.

Posted by: rbj [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 17, 2006 09:22 AM

I guess it's a Red Sox thing for me.

If Pena went to the Braves, Cubs, or anyone else, I could care less. But, it bothers me that he was able to use the Yankees system - taking away PAs from other Yankees players at the Triple-A level - to get his swing in tune to go help the Red Sox. That's what bothers me.

But, again, if it was some other team that he was going to, I'm be OK with it. So, I guess that I'm just being petty here.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 17, 2006 10:30 AM

I just view Pena as a mercenary. Quite frankly, after his flameout in Detroit, I don't see him having any impact this season.

Posted by: rbj [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 17, 2006 11:07 AM

Pena was hitting very well for the Clippers, I agree that he was never given a chance with the big club, while Phillips is now rotting on the bench. In addition, the Red Sox basically stole Eric Hinske from the Blue Jays. It either smells of desparation, or I feel like one of them is going to have a measurable impact down the stretch... I can't decide which.

Posted by: mehmattski [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 17, 2006 12:18 PM