« The Yankee Flipper | Main | The Gauntlet '06 »

August 06, 2006

August 6th @ The Orioles

Is it just me, or, does A-Rod's "0 for 5" with 5 LOB and 2 Ks standout in the middle of this boxscore today like a sore thumb?

Other than that, it was a near-picture-perfect win today. The guys in the line-up that you expect to do well (Damon, Jeter, Abreu, Giambi, and Melky) all came through nicely. Wright got 6 IP out of 95 pitches. Proctor and Mo shut the door.

And, the cherry on top today was the way that the Boston Red Sox lost their game.

Oh, by the way, for the record - if letting Bubba Crosby go means that Bernie Williams is the back-up CF, then, I hate the idea.

Melky Cabrera is supposed to be the 4th OF super-sub in 2007 - which means he'll play LF, CF, and RF (giving everyone a break now and then, and, filling in when someone goes on the D.L.).

If that's the plan, then why not use Melky as the back-up CF this year as well (now)?

Posted by Steve Lombardi at August 6, 2006 05:43 PM

Comments

Bernie should never, EVER be allowed to play the field. Letting him play in CF clearly proves how nutso team management is. He's not good enough to play CF for even 9 innings. Did anyone else see that double by Brian Roberts to start the game...

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 6, 2006 05:54 PM

Steve - I couldn't help but laugh my ass off at your opening line. In Friday's comments (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) you were reluctant to mention anything about ARod for fear of getting all sorts of backlash. Today you wasted no time and you are in a ARod hating mood. That's great...

Great win all around...good point on Bernie.

Posted by: Garcia [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 6, 2006 06:22 PM

A combination of losing Cairo and the letting go of Bubba is just horrible timing. Bubba should have been in CF today if someone needed a break. Joe's "discomfort" with 11 pitchers is his own idiocy. Because of his discomfort there is now room for Crosby on the team. The Yankees have completely mismanaged this guy's career from the beginning to the end. Watching Bernie in the field at this point is excruciating. How can Joe do it? Supposedly he knows baseball?

Posted by: Scott Coulter [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 6, 2006 06:40 PM

Dumping Crosby and playing a man short today was not exclusively Joe's call. As good as Cashman did at the trade deadline, he cannot be exonerated in this regard. Bernie in CF is as much his doing as it is Joe's.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 6, 2006 06:52 PM

After a win it's always so cheerful and uplifting around here.

Posted by: RICH [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 6, 2006 07:19 PM

Yeah, come on guys, this is pretty bad. Up 2 games, Boston loses a heartbreaker to Tampa Bay--this is what baseball fans pray for! And I kind of liked Crosby but Aaron Guiel deserves to be on the roster more than he does so let's move on.

Posted by: JeremyM [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 6, 2006 07:33 PM

We had a dominant victory and we're two games up on Boston (3 in the loss column) and people are complaining about Bernie? I can't believe how many people will kill Bernie, Arod, Torre, Cashman, etc, yet will come to the defense of Crosby and his .200 avg and 6 rbi. There are 29 other teams who would love to have the problems we have.

Posted by: Xopher [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 6, 2006 09:33 PM

On the brighter side, at least Bernie now have two pretty good OFs flanking him, unlike last year when he was flanked by Matsui / Sheff...

I am so looking forward to next game though.

Damon CF
Jeter SS
Abreu RF
A-rod 3B
Giambi DH
Posada C
Wilson 1B
Cano 2B
Melky LF

Marvelous.

Posted by: Yu Hsing Chen [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 6, 2006 09:33 PM

I'm with Chen. I'm ready for Tuesday's game! We are in great shape right now and we can help create some space by continuing to win.

Posted by: Seamus [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 6, 2006 10:41 PM

Don't get too excited, Seamus. While we're playing the White Sox and the Angels (for four games) the Sox get to play the Royals and Baltimore. The Royals actually played the Red Sox pretty tough last time they faced each other, but you can't count on that happening again.

After those two series we get Baltimore again and they get Detroit. But that's hardly an advantage because they, like us, manhandled Detroit when they saw them.

Hopefully, at worst, when the five-game series rolls around we're still two games ahead.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 7, 2006 09:16 AM

baileywalk,

I'm excited. I know both of our schedules and I feel good that we'll get through this stretch in good position. This is an important stretch and things couldn't be better aligned in terms of our momentum v. boston's momentum.

Posted by: Seamus [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 7, 2006 09:45 AM

I'm excited too. I hate off days when the Yankees are playing well. (When they are playing poorly, I greet off days with "well, at least they won't lose today.")

I know they have a tough stretch coming but they are in better shape to face it than they've been since early in the season (or all season). I try not to concern myself with what the Red Sox are doing (though it's hard because I live here in Boston). The Yankees can only control the outcome of their own games, not the Sox's.

Posted by: carla [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 7, 2006 11:02 AM

I think we're at the point of the season where scoreboard-watching is acceptable. We can't control what the Sox do, but it sure would loosen the burden if they went on a losing streak.

I have to disagree with you, Seamus. Things are not aligned in the Yanks' favor. While we're playing a team that hurts us and plays us very tough (the Angels) and Sox will be playing a team they bash and bludgeon (the O's). Considering how we play against the Angels, it's not crazy to think we'll only split that series. But I would be shocked if the Sox didn't sweep the O's.

And though we swept the White Sox last time we saw them, and they are having their pitching problems, I would say there's a good chance we could lose one of those games, but there's much less chance the Royals beat the Red Sox.

So while I'm not nervous about it or anything, I think the schedule sets up nicely for the Red Sox.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 7, 2006 12:32 PM

"Except for one game, the Boston series is going to be all ESPN and Fox, which should make for some frustrating baseball-watching."

just shoot me. that's going to be a weekend of muted television.

Posted by: 98Yanks [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 7, 2006 02:39 PM

I think things are totally in the Yanks' favor. It's not a given that the Sox will sweep KC or the O's. This isn't May. The last time the Sox played Baltimore, Matt Clement was lights out, Mike Lowell was an MVP candidate, and Beckett was on his way to a Cy Young. This time, the Sox rotation against the O's will be Wells, Johnson, and Lester - a combined 8-14 record. I'd be shocked if the Sox swept that series.

Even if the Yanks only go 4-3 against the ChiSox and Angels, they get to play Baltimore next while the Red Sox play the Tigers. We should be able to keep our 2 game lead going into the big 5 game show down.

If there are Yankee fans who aren't pumped up now, they never will be.

Posted by: Xopher [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 7, 2006 02:52 PM