« How You Know It's Too Hot | Main | Personal Request »

August 03, 2006

August 3rd vs. The Blue Jays

I'm going to try and do some semi-live blogging for this game today. Stay tuned for updates.

1:03 pm ET: Hey, hey, hey. Looks like Torre has figured out that Abreu should bat third and Giambi should bat fifth.

1:15 pm ET: If you would have told me this past April, that I'd be checking out a Yankees game in August, and I would see Cory Lidle (pitching for the Yankees) getting a batter to ground out to Yankees second baseman Nick Green who would throw over to Yankees first baseman Craig Wilson for the out, I would have said "Get off that pipe, my friend!" Go figure.

1:27 pm ET: A Giambi-jack! There's three for you Cory.

1:43 pm ET: Based on his 22-pitch inning in the 2nd, I'm thinking that Lidle is not going 8 innings today.

1:50 pm ET: Sal Fasano's picture on mlb.com Gameday makes him look like Jeffrey Tambor:

Jtambor.jpg

1:59 pm ET: An 11-pitch 3rd for Lidle. That's much better.

2:07 pm ET: In his first two PAs today, Abreu has seen 12 pitches. Maybe his nickname should be "The Human Arm Fatiguer"?

2:19 pm ET: Darn, based load, albeit with two outs, and no runs. That was a chance to put this game on ice - early.

2:25 pm ET: Wow. A 10-pitch 4th for Lidle. That's quick!

2:31 pm ET: A 9-pitch PA by Melky Cabrera leads to a walk. A love this kid.

2:33 pm ET: I think Fasano is striking out on purpose today just so that he doesn't have to run the bases in 100-degree heat.

2:40 pm ET: My gut is starting to tell me that the Yankees are going to need more than 3 runs today, by the time this game is over. It would be nice to see a run or two from them soon.

2:58 pm ET: OK, bottom five, 1st and 2nd, no outs. Four-Five-Six due up. Let's go Yan-kees!

3:03 pm ET: Bases-juiced. No outs. Craig Wilson - good morning, good afternoon, good night. That's bad.

3:10 pm ET: Attaboy Melky! That RBI, making the score 5-1, is big. Aside, maybe Fasano and Green should not play on the same day? That's like a free inning for the pitcher when they come up to the plate back-to-back.

3:17 pm ET: Sweet, clutch, DP to end the top of the 6th. Hey, Artie Rhodes, Lidle's gone more than five-and-a-third today!

3:32 pm ET: I believe that this one is now in the bag. It's Ponson Time fellas.

3:34 pm ET: Why is Proctor in this game?

Posted by Steve Lombardi at August 3, 2006 01:01 PM

Comments

Johnny Damon CF
Derek Jeter SS
Bobby Abreu RF
Alex Rodriguez 3B
Jason Giambi DH
Craig Wilson 1B
Melky Cabrera LF
Sal Fasano C
Nick Green 2B

Cory Lidle, RHP

Good luck to Cory and the team today. It would be nice to kick this month off on the right foot.

PS - Any word about Javy Lopez joining the Red Sox via waivers? Given that this is the last year of his contract and that there is only $2.7M left to pay him for this season, I should hope other teams do the right thing and put a claim in for him. I'd be PISSED if everyone snoozed on him just so Boston could grab him for cheap. Don't the Twins need a DH? Don't the Angels and A's need some help with their lineup?

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 01:23 PM

Lopez has only been good in 25% of his seasons - thereabouts - with the stick. I'm not sweating it. If he goes to Boston, I hope he's catching when Jeter, Damon, and the Yankees other burners are on base.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 01:47 PM

I'm of the opinion that hope of any sort for Boston and their fans is not something I'm a fan of. I'd rather they not get Javy, even if his best days are behind him.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 01:53 PM

He also is of the Beltre-esque one time, contract year, juicy season. Strangely, going from Atlanta to Camden yards had the reverse effect on his power.

If Varitek's only out 3-4 weeks, is it worth it to them to pick up 2.7 mil? It's not like Varitek's absence in the lineup creates a gaping hole since his production's been down this year.

That being said, his handling of the staff (especially all those young arms) will be impossible to replace and they could probably do better than Javy Lopez on the mentoring side.

Posted by: alex rainert [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 01:55 PM

Steve, that really IS Jeffrey Tambor. From character actor to backup catcher.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 01:59 PM

Glad I'm not the only one seeing it!

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 02:11 PM

Until I learned about Dr. Phil I thought it was Tambor on the Oprah show a lot while going through the channels.

Posted by: RICH [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 02:48 PM

Actually that's a good point. They look very much alike (except Tambor looks a bit funnier and doesn't take himself quite as seriously).

PS - I don't care if it's on an error or not, I [HEART] ARod.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 03:04 PM

I wish I'd kept a running count of how many pitches Bobby Abreu's seen today. I know he doubled on the 8th pitch of this AB. He's a machine with the plate discipline!

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 03:31 PM

Abreu's a plate-discipline machine. I wonder how many pitches he's seen today.

PS - Craig Wilson [HEARTS] LHP!

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 03:32 PM

Abreu is MONEY. How many pitches has this guy seen today 21, 22?

I'm not hatin' Lidle or Wilson right now either.

Posted by: JJay [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 03:33 PM

Actually Steve, Torre is managing and it's time to mis-use Proctor.

Posted by: JJay [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 03:34 PM

Abreu has seen 26 pitches in 4 ABs today (7, 5, 6 & 8)

Posted by: Jen [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 03:42 PM

Good grief. Ponson would've been a fine choice here. Lidle for one more inning would've been fine too. He was only at 80 and they weren't exactly crushing him.

I don't wand to descend into negativity on the heels of a well-played 3 game series but Torre's just a friggin' moron sometimes.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 03:46 PM

I would like to point out that Scott Proctor just got through a 30 pitch 7th inning. A six run lead and only nine outs to go and we still won't use Ponson? Does Kerrigan even have a voice-box? Does he not wonder what the hell is going on?

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 03:51 PM

Steve,

I've become a huge fan of your site. How can I contact you directly with comments, suggestions?

Thanks,

Ben

Posted by: bdp6 [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 03:55 PM

....and now Farnsworth. Joe Torre should be in a Guiness commercial..."BRILLIANT!"

Posted by: JJay [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 03:58 PM

I really hate this manager...sticking to the ProcFarnMo script even though it's 8-1.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 03:58 PM

80 pitches in 100 degree heat isn't exactly a walk in the park. Especially when you consider a long bottom of the sixth. I have no problem with Proctor in this spot. If Ponson came in and gave up 4 runs, people would be killing Torre for that too. We have a chance to put some pressure on the Sox tonight. Let's wrap this one up.

I love Giambi in the 5 slot.

Posted by: Xopher [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 03:58 PM

Xopher, you're approaching this situation in a vaccum. If this were the only time Torre's done this, OK, not a big deal. But because he persists in this illogical and rigid methodology of (over)using his best relief pitchers, it's taking its toll over time. Doing it today will come back to bite us down the road when Proctor's as exhausted in late September as he was in late June.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 04:02 PM

NOW Ponson comes in.
What's the "injury delay"?

Posted by: JJay [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 04:05 PM

"If Ponson came in and gave up 4 runs, people would be killing Torre for that too."

No one intelligent would be because this was the ideal situation. Even if he gave up those 4 runs...it would still have been 8-5 and you would still have Proctor/Farnsworth/Rivera to slam the door. It seems simple enough but apparently logic doesn't seem to prevail.

Posted by: James Varghese [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 04:09 PM

Ben - use:

staff (at) waswatching (dot) com

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 04:14 PM

so what was the injury delay? farnsworth hurt?

Posted by: alex rainert [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 04:15 PM

Exactly, MJ. This isn't the only time Torre has done this. Proctor will end up with 75-80 games. Just like Nelson did. Just like Stanton did. Just like Gordon did. Why is something that has proven to be successful for 10+ years considered illogical and rigid? Maybe it's possible that Torre knows how to handle his bullpen? Since 1996, can you name another team who has had as more success with their set up men and closer?

Let's say Ponson did come in for 3 innings today...who would you bring in tomorrow when Randy gets bounced in the 2nd inning?

Posted by: Xopher [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 04:17 PM

Farnsworth got hit on his pitching hand. I have no idea how serious it is though.

Xopher, I don't know what to say. If, in your view, Ponson's role is to play RJ's caddy...

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 04:26 PM

My view is that the only long relief mop up guy on the team should be used in long relief mop up situations - like 4 innings in a 12-1 loss, not the 7th inning of a game we could win. The bullpen is always an area that people have strong opinions about - all I'm trying to say is that Torre knows more about the availability of his bullpen than I do.

I am curious how you would answer my question though - if Ponson pitched 3 innings today, who would you bring in tomorrow if Randy gets knocked out early?

Posted by: Xopher [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 04:33 PM

Ever notice a guy named Ron Villone in our bullpen? Plus, if you hadn't pitched Proctor and Farnsworth today, you could have asked Proctor to give you 6 outs, Farns 3 outs, Myers a lefty, and Mo could've gone 5 outs...if necessary. That's 21 outs. Unless you think RJ's going to just keel over from the heat tomorrow after throwing one pitch.

Posted by: JohnnyC [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 05:36 PM

So you wouldn't use Proctor in a game that we were winning today, but you would have no problem using him for two innings along with Farnsworth, Myers, Villone, and Rivera for 21 outs in a blow out loss against the Orioles? Ok, you got me. Makes total sense.

Posted by: Xopher [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 05:46 PM

Sal "Hey Now!" Fasano

Posted by: bobtaco [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 05:55 PM

Things sports fans always complain about:

Baseball: bullpen use and the 25th man on the roster

Football: 2nd string QB not playing

Posted by: RICH [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 06:29 PM

Wasn't it a three/four run lead before the Yankees tacked on a few runs? So Torre had Proctor warming up and might as well have used him.

As for why Farnsworth, who knows, except he had Wednesday off.

But RICH, you got that right.

Posted by: Don [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 3, 2006 06:55 PM