« C.J. Henry A.Y. (After Yankees) | Main | R.S.N. This A.M. »

August 21, 2006

August 20th @ The Red Sox

Overheard....Boston's David Ortiz to his manager, Terry Francona, at the end of this game:

"Tito, I don't think we're in 2004 anymore."

It's late. So, I'll just close with a question. Is it just me, or, does Jonathan Papelbon's stupid game face remind you of Vincent D'Onofrio's Private Pyle towards the end of "Full Metal Jacket"?

Gosh, I hope the YES Network one day over the winter does a marathon of the last four games. Each one is better than the one before it.

I hope Lidle can top this contest later today. It just seems like it has to happen now.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at August 21, 2006 01:28 AM

Comments

Papelbon reminds me more of a, uh, redneck than anything else. With apologies to all of those redneck Yankee fans.

Posted by: Benjamin Kabak [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 21, 2006 01:54 AM

You know, I was trying to figure out who he reminded me of, and Pvt Pyle is spot on, nice call.

I don't know if he's doing that to intimidate or if he just stares in that way, but either way, he looks kind of silly.

Posted by: tpxDMD [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 21, 2006 02:10 AM

You assholes- the Yanks win 4 in a row like THAT, and all you can talk about is what or whom Papelbon reminds you of:)

Man, I am shell-shocked- did not see that win coming after Schilling's performance, which just reeked of "bloody-sock game". I would love to see them slaughter Wells tomorrow and make it a laugher, but I can't be too greedy, can I?

Posted by: JeremyM [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 21, 2006 02:17 AM

As someone on the Banter pointed out, "tomorrow" should really be "today."

Posted by: JeremyM [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 21, 2006 02:20 AM

Step on 'em, they're still squirming.

And maybe some guy named Rodriguez will join the party?

Posted by: Don [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 21, 2006 02:27 AM

With all due respect though, Papalbon pitched like a monster tonight, blowing a 2 inning bases loaded save on a 2 out blooper in the 9th is about as tough as it gets.

Papalbon is still doing well, it's just that the other guys around him have collasped.. putting him in very tough save situations very often. I would hate to see Boston if they assemble a decent pen ahead of him in the future (like the one we have in front of Mo this year.)

Posted by: Yu Hsing Chen [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 21, 2006 02:29 AM

I would've liked to see Guiel up instead of Bernie, but other than that, Papelbon pitched well.

I'm wired from the game tonight, so here's my starting lineup. Give Jeter the DH role on Tuesday. Damon CF, Jeter SS, Abreu RF, Giambi DH, A-ROD 3B, Wilson 1B, Cano 2B (possibly Green however, Cano could probably use a day off and Wells is a leftie), Cabrera LF, Fasano C. Really, if they want Jeter as DH then I would try Wilson as the catcher but that won't happen.

Posted by: JeremyM [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 21, 2006 02:46 AM

Remember we are the "Evil Empire!" We must go for the Bosox jugular. Then tear the fans hearts out. Snakes on a sweep.

Posted by: zgveritas [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 21, 2006 02:53 AM

I couldn't stay up to watch the end of the game, so I was fully prepared to wake up to a Yankees loss. What a great feeling to turn on the computer at work this morning and see the dagger twisted just a bit deeper into Red Sox Nation. Tee hee.

Today's all gravy, but a 5 game sweep of the Sox in Fenway would most likely kill them off for the season.

Posted by: rbj [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 21, 2006 08:39 AM

The natives are quiet here in Red Sox Nation ... I can hear the crickets chirping in my office

Posted by: carla [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 21, 2006 11:03 AM

Love it.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 21, 2006 11:12 AM

It's pretty sweet. Watching these last couple of games, even when the Yanks were trailing, there was that sense that you knew they would pull through.

I haven't had that feeling in a long time, a good 6 or 7 years.

Posted by: Mike A. [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 21, 2006 11:20 AM

Is it me, or does it seem like Melky is always the one that starts off those come-from-behind innings, either with a walk or a hit.

Posted by: Jen [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 21, 2006 01:12 PM

Melky going for two last night reminded me of O'Neill in the 1997 ALDS. They guy is a winner, IMHO.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 21, 2006 01:52 PM