« August 11th vs. The Angels | Main | Unit, A-Rod & Cano (Yes, Cano!) Need To Start Stepping Up For The Yankees This Season »

August 12, 2006

At Least His Ears Are Rehabbing Well

From the Daily News:

Carl Pavano was involved in a verbal dispute with a fan at his rehab outing in Tampa on Thursday night, during which he made an off-color remark alluding to the fan's sexual orientation, according to sources.

The fan was heckling Pavano all night - he even acknowledged as such in a complaint filed with the team, sources said - and the righthander finally snapped at him. Sources said that Pavano questioned why the fan was at the Florida State League game, then made his derogatory comment.

The fan immediately complained to the team and was said to be demanding some sort of "compensation," according to sources. The Yankees had no official comment on the situation, though it was believed that witnesses told team officials the fan appeared to be looking to create a situation with Pavano from the very start of the game.

Pavano was unavailable for comment but expressed remorse and regret to a team official yesterday over letting the fan get to him.

If Pavano can't ignore one leather-lunged yahoo grifter in Tampa, what's he going to do when, make that if, he ever pitches in the Bronx again and gets bombed?

Posted by Steve Lombardi at August 12, 2006 08:56 AM

Comments

He's already pitched in the Bronx, Steve. I know it's been a while, but he did do it. And he didn't have any incidents.

Last time I checked, there's no law against saying something to someone -- even if it involves curse words and a description of their mother doing something very disgusting.

This is hardly a big deal. A guy goes to the game with the intention of annoying him and finally gets what he wants -- a response. He's some jerk looking for a little cash. But unless the player actually physically assaults someone, it's a non-issue.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 12, 2006 10:50 AM

For the good of the Yankees one can only look forward to Pavano's next injury.

Perhaps a deep paper cut from opening a pizza box. Out 6-8 months.

His attitude and demeanor make Kevin Brown seem like a choir boy. Pavano is poison.

But maybe we won't need to worry. He gave up 3 runs in 2 2/3 innings. That translates to 10.11 ERA in lower minor league ball. Maybe he is aiming too high and should try a fast pitch softball league.

Posted by: Paul [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 12, 2006 10:57 AM

Paul, you are unquestionably the biggest asshole to ever post on waswatching.com. Congratulations!

First of all, saying the Yankees should look forward to a player's injury is disgusting, and also moronic -- they have over twenty million dollars still invested in him.

His attitude and demeanor make him a poison? Yeah, okay. He looks like a real surly, crazy person. Sitting there talking to his teammates in the dugout, giving them high-fives when they get a hit -- boy, it's tearing down the team. He's a cancer! You can feel the tension in the dugout!

I'm going to put your IQ at around 65 if you're really taking anything out of his first rehab start in months. Did you expect him to not pitch since June and then go out and have good stuff? Ever hear of shaking off the rust? All that game was about was getting back into shape. It's his upcoming rehab starts that matter.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 12, 2006 11:17 AM

I'm not looking forward to Pavano's next injury so much as expecting it, much in the same way as I expect Keanu Reeves movies to suck, but I'm not really looking forward to them.

Also, I'm not worried about this, every man has his breaking point. At least he didn't go Ron Artest (or Babe Ruth, who once charged into the stands after a heckler). And if he gets shelled in the Bronx, it will be impossible to hear one loudmouthed New Yorker, all he'll hear is BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Posted by: mehmattski [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 12, 2006 11:37 AM

Way to go baileywalk, rather than refuting my baseball opinion you launch into a personal attack.

I hope Pavano pays you well to be his attack dog/sock puppet, since it might give you purpose in life.

The fact is Pavano asked out of NY last off-season since he did not like the way he was treated. The Yankees should have granted his request.

Additionally, Pavano snickered last year about being paid not to pitch. Sure, what a laugher.

Now baileywalk, if in fact you ever deem it time to learn about and practice civilized discourse, when you disagree with someone, you present your opinion as a rebuttal. The calling names part really is rather unacceptable and makes you look like a fool. I am not sure what your problem is with someone having a different opinion than you, but outside of your little world people may have thoughts that are perfectly valid that have not yet settled within the confines of your noggin.

While it may scare or intimidate you that someone may have an idea that is contrary to your belief, in the real world it is a common occurrence. The vitriol you spew upon discovering said contrary thoughts denigrates the validity of your position.

Unlikely that you have been able to fathom any of the above, I have taken the opportunity to translate this missive for baileywalk:

Cram it, clownie.

Posted by: Paul [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 12, 2006 11:42 AM

Please, let's all respect each other's opinions and realize that it's OK to agree to disagree!

baileywalk, there was no reason to attack Paul on his comments. It's his opinion. He has a right to it - just as you do on yours.

Please, all, let's play nice in the sand box with each other. Thanks!

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 12, 2006 12:10 PM

Wow, Paul, I'm so intimidated by your use of the English language. I'm shaking all over.

Actually, after I called you the asshole you are, I DID explain why you were wrong. And now I'll repeat it:

Hoping someone gets hurt is cruel, stupid, and for the Yankees financially destructive.

Saying that Pavano's ML ERA would be in the 10s because of a pitch-count-limited rehab start -- his first start in over two months -- means you don't know much about baseball.

You should also know that the RUMOR -- notice I stressed "rumor" -- that Pavano asked out of New York has been debunked. And exactly where did you hear that Pavano "snickered" about being paid not to pitch? Did you read it in some tabloid or was it passed on to you in the sleazy bar you hang out at?

And finally -- don't take the moral high ground (you know, trying to lecture me about personal attacks and proper discourse) when you say you want someone to get injured. Calling someone an asshole, even if they deserve it, might be rude, but looking forward to someone getting hurt makes you a very small, very mean person. So go and rot in your self-hate, you miserable fool.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 12, 2006 12:15 PM

Steve, then you're okay with someone on here posting his opinion that one should "look forward to" a player's injury? If that's an acceptable opinion, then I say my opinion of his personality is just as valid.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 12, 2006 12:21 PM

What the hell is your malfunction, baileywalk?

I did not say I wanted your boy Pavano hurt. I expect him to be hurt. He is always hurt. He invents new ways to get hurt.

His being hurt benefits the team because it keeps him off the pitchers mound. He is a terrible pitcher. He is a malingerer. He is a malcontent.

That is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

You, on the other hand, are a verbal bully with absolutely no clue how to communicate with adults.

Posted by: Paul [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 12, 2006 12:40 PM

Last warning guys.

If anyone wants to continue personal sniping, do it on your own dime. Please don't make me test out the banning feature of the MT software.

I take great pride in never having to use it since this site went up in April 2005. Please allow me to keep that pride/streak alive.

Thanks.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 12, 2006 03:11 PM

To get back to the topic on hand...

I think there's a big difference, Steve, between one heckler at an FSL game and 10,000 hecklers in a huge major league ballpark. It's MUCH easier to tune out the big league crowd than it is to tune out the one guy amid a crowd of 1000 sitting behind the dugout and yelling all game. The atmosphere and intensity are different. The heckler was way out of line here, IMO.

Posted by: Benjamin Kabak [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 12, 2006 07:29 PM