« Jacque Jones | Main | Yanks Acquire Outfielder! »

June 21, 2006

Yankee Birthday Data

Did you know (?) that:

+ Jim Beattie and George Steinbrenner share the same birthday.

+ There have been 88 men to play for the Yankees who were born in the month of May - the only month in the year to have less than 100 men born (in it) who went on to wear the pinstripes.

+ The only "Leap Year Baby" to ever play for the Yankees was Terrence Long.

+ There's never been someone, yet, born in 1985 to play for the Yankees.

Lee Sinins was very kind to supply me with the birth dates of everyone to play for the Yankees to date. Putting it into a spreadsheet allows for lots of sorting fun.

Did you know that Alan Embree and Mark Wohlers were born on the same exact month/day/year? Bernie Williams and Denny Neagle were born on the same month/day/year as well. Ditto Clay Bellinger and Gary Sheffield.

Did you know that Tony Clark, Ramiro Mendoza and Andy Pettitte were all born on the same exact month/day/year?

Fun stuff. (Thanks Lee!)

Posted by Steve Lombardi at June 21, 2006 11:30 AM

Comments

Wow. Only 4 Yankees share my birthday.
But, I got to see 3 of them play and the 4th is in the HOF. Cool.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 21, 2006 11:54 AM

Mate, this is so geeky I don't even know where to start! I was apparently born the same day as Scott Erickson.

My own favourite bit of biographical baseball trivia is here: http://tinyurl.com/mwgay

Posted by: jamesonandwater [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 21, 2006 12:08 PM

Carl Pavano was born the day after Alfonso Soriano. Meaningless, but, fun.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 21, 2006 12:12 PM

No Yankee has been born on my son's birthday since 1917. Only one Yankee has the same birthday as my daughter - and he stunk, major. Bummer.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 21, 2006 12:36 PM

Yankees born on Halloween:

Bert Daniels
David Dellucci
Mike Gallego
Matt Nokes
Mickey Rivers
Paul Zuvella

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 21, 2006 12:42 PM

Two completely anonymous Yanks - Elmer Miller and Dick Simpson - were born on my birthday (7/28) and none since 1943. I was born a day after ARod in the same year and he was born in NYC so I like to think that it coulda/shoulda been me.

Also interesting: Joe McCarthy and Rickey Henderson were both born on Christmas Day except its not the Joe McCarthy I thought it was...

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 21, 2006 12:59 PM

Just scrolling through the data, I saw that someone named "Liz Funk" once played for the Yankees. Word.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 21, 2006 01:41 PM

"Played" is a strong word. Liz appeared in 1 game as a member of the Yanks and recorded no stats whatsoever.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 21, 2006 02:29 PM

Hey, I said "once." :-)

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 21, 2006 02:39 PM

I knew about Pettitte and Mendoza being born on the same exact day, but didn't know that Clark was also.

Just the other day, I was looking at the Complete Baseball Encyclopedia's raw data, just to confirm 'that Alex Rodriguez was the all time leader in HR for players who was born after I was (4/24/71).

But, Rodriguez isn't. At least not yet. He's #2, behind Manny Ramirez.

Posted by: Lee Sinins [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 21, 2006 03:22 PM

I was born on the same day as Sam Marsonek and Roger Maris. So I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

Posted by: DFLNJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 21, 2006 05:46 PM