« TradeARod.com | Main | Sweet Lou To The Rescue? »

June 28, 2006

June 28th vs. The Braves

As I type this, it's 3-2 Braves, top of the 12th.......

even if the Yankees come back and win this game, it's bothersome that they have to struggle against teams like the Braves, Marlins and Nationals.

This weekend against the Mets may be very painful for Yankees fans.

If the Yankees lose today, they will be 4 games back of Boston - and maybe 4 1/2 if the Red Sox win tonight. This time last year - after 76 games - they were 5 1/2 back of Boston. The more things change, the more they........

I hope the Yankees comeback in this game. But, I don't expect it. Why should I, given the way they have played this month?

The shame is that they are blowing games where their starting pitching has been OK. Today was another prime example of that. Who would have thought that the Yankees offense would be the weak link this season?

Update: 6/28/05 5:06 PM - Yanks down by one. There's one out in the bottom of the 12th, Giambi on 1st, A-Rod up......could he???????

Update: 6/28/05 5:08 PM - OK, now, that was clutch!

The turning point of the season?

Posted by Steve Lombardi at June 28, 2006 04:52 PM

Comments

He could

Posted by: rbj [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 28, 2006 05:11 PM

Yes, he can! Good Lord, I haven't been that pumped up about a regular season game in a while!

Let's hope you're right about the turning point...and as funny as it is for me to say, Let's go Pedro!

Posted by: James Varghese [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 28, 2006 05:11 PM

You really blew your load early on this one, Steve! I think you reverse-jinxed the team, so I thank you for that.

A-Rod gets the walk-off, but Giambi was the savior of this game. That home run to tie it was huge, and sometimes the hardest thing to do in a pressure situation is walk -- and that's what he did. I can't imagine what this team would be like without him. Which amazing to say, after all he's gone through.

The offense has been stale, but it's not like they were facing Joe Blow out there today. You don't expect to beat up on Smoltz. The good news is that Wang pitched another good game. Bad news, of course, is that Proctor gave up yet another home run. Overall, a positive win. If Johnson keeps pitching well, and Wang keeps being Wang, then the Yanks have three legit starters and can feel better about their playoff hopes.

Cashman should hurry up and try to package Proctor for a decent bat.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 28, 2006 05:29 PM

That was the biggest win that I've seen in awhile.

Is anyone watching the post-game show? They just showed an interview with Torre and he seemed grouchier than I have ever seen him. A reporter asked him about bringing Rivera in during the ninth inning (a moderately dumb question, I admit) and Joe was bizarrely rude in response.

Posted by: jonm [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 28, 2006 05:52 PM

I agree, nothing but positives in this win.

* Another strong outing by Wang

* Sure, you expect the Yankees to score more runs, but Smoltz is still one of the game's better pitchers.

* More important still, the Yankees have to grind out wins even on the days when they don't score runs in bunches - days like today. They need to win the close, low-scoring games too, not just the blowouts.

* The Yankees didn't roll over and die after giving up the go-ahead run in the top of the 12th. Nor did the one go-ahead run turn in to three or four, as happened yesterday.

* A-Rod. What else is there to say? So much of his struggles are psychology - we know he has the talent - so I have to hope this big walk-off will help him turn it around psychologically.

Yep, nothing but positives.

Posted by: carla [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 28, 2006 05:58 PM

OK, as thrilled as I am over the win, and the big hit for A-Rod - and it was B*I*G - on the drive home tonight, I heard A-Rod & Mrs. A-Rod doing what seemed like a press conference on TMKS (on ESPN Radio), and I have to say this:

I swear, if I didn't know it was the A-Rod's, it could have been Curt and Shonda Schilling. That's what they sounded like - at least to me. It was a red light fever group hug.

This is not the post-season. This was not the game that clinched the DIV. It was not HR # 700. Why the need to get in front of a microphone - with your wife - less than an hour after the game ended? Strange.

FWIW, A-Rod did say that Yankees fans are not helping him, or the team, by booing him. I thought that was interesting. Most players usually go with "I know they're waiting for me to do something to make them cheer" or "When you're locked in, you don't hear the fans" stuff.

Hearing him, I really got the feeling that the booing hurts his feelings.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 28, 2006 08:29 PM

Steve, I listened to that as well. I'm thinking it was Michael Kay asking A-Rod to do an interview, being as that he's doing his show outside the Stadium. Alex calls in once in a while so it's not unusual for him to go on Kay's show.

You're right in that he was a bit more forthcoming than usual. I chalk it up to post-game emotions. All during this slump he was going with the cliches you cited, but today he did he imply that the booing hurt him. I, for one, welcomed the openess during that interview.

Posted by: Jen [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 28, 2006 09:23 PM

That's interesting, Steve -- definitely odd timing. ARod's interview with YES was quite brief and they sort of buried it in their coverage. The whole flow of the post-game show seemed off today.

Based on Torre's grouchiness, I would guess that there was some problem after the game involving the Yankees and their media coverage.

Posted by: jonm [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 28, 2006 10:39 PM

Could we lay off ARod now for a couple of days? How many clutch hits does he need to get? That Trade ARod site is disgusting. Typical NY fan nonsense.

Posted by: Josh [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 28, 2006 11:57 PM

And man, how good has Wang been? This guy has just been great. Looks like the little hitch with runners on has been irradicated. Do we dare to dream of him and Hughes anchoring a rotation for years to come?

Posted by: JeremyM [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 29, 2006 12:03 AM

An assist to Lou Piniella?

Worst ever HR call -- Michael Kay on Giambi's HR.

Posted by: Don [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 29, 2006 02:18 AM

Don, I agree about Kay's call on the Giambi HR. He seemed to be in mid-sentence about something else, briefly mentioned that it was a fly ball to right, went back to talking about something else and then did his usual call AFTER the ball had already bounced back onto the field after hitting the facade.

The Mets, predictably, are doing a bang-up job in Boston. I hope the off-day helps us get our rest so we can get ready to win this series and close the book on interleague play.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 29, 2006 09:00 AM

JeremyM, dream on, brother. There's no reason to think Wang and Hughes WON'T be anchoring this staff for years to come. Hughes threw ANOTHER five innings of shutout baseball last night and his ERA in AA is now under 3. He's been unbelievable over his last four or five starts. I literally pray to God they don't trade him -- and I hate that we have to even worry about it.

And, fellas, Kay was in rare form yesterday. The Giambi home run, which Kay obviously thought was a fly ball, didn't really get a home run call at all, and when Posada almost hit a walk-off that was just foul, it was obvious that Kay was looking over his scorecard and ignoring the game. He mumbled something about Posada coming in to pinch-hit and suddenly screamed, having finally seen the hit, "FAIR, IT'S GONE!"

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 29, 2006 10:50 AM

Giambi's home run was so high in the air that even fans in the park lost sight of it, only to re-sight it when it glanced off the upper deck -- see Alex Belth's account in Bronx Banter. While Kay is certainly "idiosyncratic" in his calls, that example is perhaps a bad one to use (by the way, I laugh uncontrollably when I hear Gary Cohen do his "It's outta here" call as if he was gargling with Drano and Keith Hernandez had a two-handed grip on this throat...Cohen ever hear of Harry Kalas?). I do have a new call for Kay. In tribute to the "old redhead" Red Barber, every time Scott Proctor gives up a bomb, he should exclaim, "Oh, Proctor!" I think it'd get him a local Emmy.

Posted by: JohnnyC [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 29, 2006 11:54 AM

LOL, Johnny

Posted by: Nick from Washington Heights [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 29, 2006 01:47 PM

Dude, you seriously need to get your own blog. Even when I disagree with you I enjoy reading your comments. Get on it, Johnny!

Posted by: Nick from Washington Heights [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 29, 2006 01:49 PM

So fans lose sight of a ball and it's okay for your play-by-play guy to doze off? On a monumental, indeed a Ruthian, blast.

Nah. It was Kay being Kay, checking his game timer so he could tell fans after the game that the time was an unmanageable three hours and.......

This is the best the highest profile team in American sports can do? Not to mention John 'la Verte Galante' Sterling and the awful Suzyn on radio?

Posted by: Don [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 29, 2006 03:10 PM

Seriously johnnyc needs his own blog, or maybe a corner of his own right here. I've been thinking that for awhile. And why do people still question his Yankee fandom? The guy is doing a hell of an imitation if he isn't a fan.

Posted by: JeremyM [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 29, 2006 08:42 PM