« He Couldn't Tell Him In 2004? | Main | June 27th vs. The Braves »

June 27, 2006

Carlos Lee

From the Boston Herald via SI -

The Yankees may be on the verge of acquiring slugger Carlos Lee from the Brewers. Former Sox executive Lee Thomas, who is now an assistant to Milwaukee GM Doug Melvin, was seen in Trenton, N.J., on Friday night scouting Yankees pitching prospect Philip Hughes, who allowed one hit and struck out eight for the Double-A Thunder.

Carlos Lee. His nickname is "El Caballo." Great year in 2004. Pretty good season last year and this year, to date. Defensively, he's challenged. He'll be a free agent after this season. If I recall correctly, he's been a good citizen with the Brewers. And, he's durable.

That all said, is he worth Philip Hughes?

Is a 1998 Ford Mustang worth a 2006 Dodge Viper?

Posted by Steve Lombardi at June 27, 2006 04:55 PM

Comments

No way in hell is Carlos Lee worth Phillip Hughes. Why aren't we planning to pitch Hughes instead of trade him?

Posted by: Scott Coulter [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 27, 2006 05:57 PM

As for pitching Hughes, he isn't close to ML ready.

As far as scouting goes, clubs must do their due dligence, that is incumbent on them.

Posted by: Don [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 27, 2006 06:12 PM

In a word, nein. I don't see how Hughes should be the price for a half-season rental of Lee. Would Lee really be the difference maker this year? They need a starter more than him, and I think you can get someone a little less than Lee at much less a price (i.e. Craig Wilson).

Posted by: festus [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 27, 2006 06:14 PM

I really don't see any realistic scenario that would entail trading Hughes--I mean if the Twins offered Liriano or Santana, of course you do it, but I'm talking realistic. Potential aces are few and far between, you hang on to them.

Posted by: JeremyM [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 27, 2006 08:04 PM

Then again, we're talking about a team that is run by Brian Cashman. I know I'm in the minority here but I don't exactly trust him.

Either way, let's just all hope and pray that this is nothing but a silly rumor meant to stir up trouble. After all, consider the source - Boston newspaper and Sports Illustrated? It's almost as if Larry Lucchino himself said it.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 27, 2006 09:01 PM

This is old, old news. Every team -- especially the Brewers and the Nats -- is scouting Hughes (and Duncan and Gardner and Cox) because they have players the Yankees might want. I have no inside info with the Yanks, but I would bet my life that they have no intention to trade Hughes for Lee. It just wouldn't make any sense.

Here's why I think Hughes is safe: the only big move the Yankees would make is for pitching. And no one is going to give up a Halladay/Santana or Liriano type of pitcher. So there's really no deal out there that would make sense to move a pitcher of the quality of Hughes, because he's a pitcher and they NEED pitching. They would have to be absolute fools to trade him. He is the guy they're normally targeting six years from now when some small market team can't afford him anymore. For once, WE have the stud pitching prospect. Let's leave him be.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 27, 2006 10:39 PM

Here is a Wild And Crazy Idea, whose time may have come, or not, you be the judge.

All the talk is about trading Phil Hughes.

How about if, instead, we trade A-Rod? Before you laugh, or email me with flames afire consider the following. He's never been comfortable here in NYC. He' not clutch, don't care what anyone says. He should bring a ton of prospects and at least one MLB ready player, preferably a hitter extraordinaire. Texas is paying some of his salary, so could we. Yes, he has a no-trade clause, but I don't think he really wants to be here and if it were someone in the NL who needs an allstar SS, like the Dodgers on the west coast where he used to be, this could be a good thing and he might be willing to go. There could be a way to put this in his favor in his mind. He has begun to cliche the reporters to death, what we would call checkout language.

What do we do in the mean time? Well, if we don't get a 3B in the trade, then we put Cairo there till the end of the season. It should take that long to work out that Cano is back and we have Duncan(not a fav of mine) if we need to go there. Suddenly Jeter is happier, and I'll bet the team is happier. I may be completely wrong here, but this guy is not helping us, and hasn't been for a while. He needs a change of scenery, this isn't working. A-Rod is a distraction as everyone wonders why he isn't helping, or hitting or getting the job done. He may be emotionally dragging down the team. He is offensively. Even in his MVP season he is not Ortiz or Manny. Is it possible to be a 5 tool great player, but not a winner in NYC? I think we have something where it is at least a discussion.

Posted by: Scott Coulter [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 27, 2006 10:48 PM

How many teams can afford a $18 million 3B?

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 27, 2006 10:57 PM

A couple problems:

1) How would we ever get value back (remember, this guy DID win the MVP last year);
2) 18 million isn't a lot to the Yanks, Sox and Mets, but who else could afford him?

The Dodgers wouldn't want him -- they're spending a ton on their shortstop as it is. You would have to find a rich team who needs a shortstop or third baseman and has a really rich farm system, PLUS a major-league-ready pitcher who can help us right now (I have to assume that's the only thing that would inspire the Yanks to make this deal happen).

Cairo as the everyday third baseman makes me want to puke into my boots. That CAN'T happen. And certainly with his struggles in AAA and AA, Eric Duncan isn't the answer.

Would I trade A-Rod? Well, maybe. I really feel like the fans are never going to get off his back, and he can't survive in this atmosphere. So I wouldn't be against it. But SO many pieces would have to fall into place -- we would have to get a pitcher in return and we would have to clear out someone's farm system and we would have to find a replacement for him at third -- that it seems fairly impractical. Though I wouldn't mind Cash listening to offers...

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 27, 2006 11:16 PM

I love how people simply assume things like Jeter's not happy, no one on the team likes ARod, etc. I'm not claiming the opposite precisely because I don't hang out and know these things.

What a bunch of negative folks New Yorkers are. I remember when Giambi was hitting under .200 and it looked like he was completely finished in baseball, everyone was booing the crap out of him and now everyone's on their knees servicing him.

What the hell is the point of trading ARod? Because people don't like him? The guy can and will help us, even if he's not doing so right now. Amazing to me how people have so much faith in the idea that he'll never help us, that he's never helped us, that he's this or that, but then blindly follow and cheer for others. It makes me so sad to think how Yankee fans read Lupica and other haters and start the feeding frenzy. We're all sheep...

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 28, 2006 08:05 AM

MJ, I hear you, and I wish the fans didn't hate A-Rod so much, but did you hear them booing him from the FIRST INNING last night? Everything this guy does at home gets him booed -- even on nights when he homers (!) -- and it clearly gets to him. He's batting under .280 in June for the first time in his career and he only has 15 home runs. That is way off the pace for what he did last year. In fact, this is like first-year A-Rod all over again.

If the fans don't get off his back, I think it will be really hard for him to thrive here. Unless he goes on a tear, this could be his worst offensive season ever.

The Yankees aren't going to trade him, but considering how the fans treat him and how it seems to get into his mind, would it be crazy to do ones of those my-star-for-your-best-prospects deals?

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 28, 2006 10:30 AM

Just for the record, I was born in Jersey, live in Indiana, and I don't hate A=rod. I don't want to trade Hughes, that was the point.

Posted by: Scott Coulter [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 28, 2006 09:50 PM