« May 18th vs. The Rangers | Main | Jimmy Key »

May 19, 2006

Jaret Wright

It's only 3 games worth of data, but, in his last three starts, here's what Jaret Wright has been averaging:

5 2/3 IP, 5 hits, 2 BB, 3 K, and an ERA of 3.64

If Wright can pitch into the 6th inning each time out, allow just about a base runner per IP, and not walk many, his ERA should continue to do well. And, he would be a very acceptable 5th starter.

Of course, he would have to stay healthy to do this as well - and he's only stayed sound for a full season once in the last seven years. So, the odds are really not in his favor.

Still, it can't hurt to hope, right?

Posted by Steve Lombardi at May 19, 2006 12:05 AM

Comments

I thought he looked great tonight, considering the lineup he was facing (sans Blaylock). Too bad Torre feels the urge to bring in the scrubbiest guy in the 'pen with only a two run deficit.

Posted by: brockdc [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 19, 2006 12:39 AM

At least he's pitching out there... and so is Erickson... I can't say anything bad about anyone else on this team when someone is gone for year with no apparent injury and no sign of returning WHILE MAKING 10 FREAKEN MILLIONS!!!!

Seriously though , this pitching staff is looking good... if only our ace showed up...

Posted by: Yu Hsing Chen [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 19, 2006 03:05 AM

Supposed Ace

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 19, 2006 08:35 AM

I'm thrilled that Wright is contributing. I've noticed in his starts that he usually gets to the 5th or 6th inning and just kind of loses steam. Given that trend, I wonder why Joe wouldn't just be happy with 6 innings of shutout ball and go to Villone/Farnsworth for the next 6 outs and pat Wright on the back for a job well done.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 19, 2006 09:10 AM

This is the best Wright has looked since his first spring training with the team. I've never seen him throw his fastball so easily and with such conviction. Normally, he seems to hold back a little. But lately he's rearing back and challenging the hitters with it. I guess he's sick and tired of worrying about his shoulder.

It's too early to say he's "turned the corner," but at least he looks like a major-league pitcher again. I'll no longer look at Wright's starts as automatic losses. (Though, disturbingly, as soon as he tires it's home run time.)

Again: WHY IS SCOTT ERICKSON ON THIS TEAM?! I want to vomit every time I see this has-been in pinstripes. You have Matt Smith in AAA and T.J. Beam in AA with a microscopic ERA. Why are they instead using this washed-up loser? He's throwing his sinker at 88 mile an hour and cannot throw strikes. He's a total waste. This decision hasn't been ridiculed or challenged in the press, which is amazing. Erickson has nothing to offer this team.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 19, 2006 10:07 AM

Its these sorts of decisions -- bringing up Erickson when there are perfectly good young arms available -- that make me angry at Brian Cashman. For a guy that gets all this great press about how he wants to get younger, more flexible, blah blah blah, he certainly enables Joe's reliance on old, washed-up veterans (like Bernie). Yet no one in the press ever blames Cashman and no one on the blogosphere ever says anything other than "it's Joe's fault."

It's Joe's fault for using Scott Erickson but it's Cashman's fault for even having him up in the Bronx in the first place.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 19, 2006 10:35 AM

Torre can't win if he takes Wright out after the 6 innings.

If the relievers shut down the Rangers for the rest of the game there'd be the negative Nellies saying he's burning out the pen unnecessarily OR he should be stretching out Wright.

If the relievers make it worse as they did there's hell to pay.

I was hoping for Villone, not Erickson, to pitch the 7th if he was going to take out Wright. All things being equal, I guess Villone would have walked the ballpark then instead of later.

I think Torre's in game managing moves aren't much worse than other managers but did he bunt to get to Stinnett in the early part of the game? I wasn't paying much attention at that time.

Posted by: RICH [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 19, 2006 11:05 AM

Matt Smith was on the 25 man roster coming out of Spring training. Colter Bean actually pitched almost 2 innings in 2004. The Yankees have had numerous pitchers called up from their farm system in recent seasons, both starters and relievers. Some of them have sucked, some had a lot of potential. Yet, people like Wayne Franklin, Tim Redding, Tanyon Sturtze and, now, Scott Erickson get every conceivable chance to prove their inability to pitch at the major league level. Who pulled the plug on Matt Smith, Colter Bean, etc.? Wasn't Cashman. Wasn't Tampa. Wasn't George. It's the green tea man.

Posted by: JohnnyC [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 19, 2006 11:43 AM

I guess we'll never agree on this issue. I just refuse to believe that Torre can call Cashman and just say "Brian, you work for me. Send this young kid down and bring me up only the 38 year old players that you know I prefer." And if that is the case, then I bemoan the fact that Brian Cashman left his testicles in Tampa a half-dozen years ago.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 19, 2006 11:58 AM

What Torre can and does do is to take the players he's given and misuse (Cairo, Williams, any reliever) or not use (Reese, Phillips, Smith) them until they aren't contributing at all. And in this way, he justifies his use of the veterans.

It doesn't really matter what Cashman does playerwise if Torre won't use their skills effectively. Cashman's biggest fault is not firing or at least running Torre over in the parking lot and promoting somebody more competent like Pena or Bowa. Or Sojo. Or Skippy. Or the peanut hawker. Or the guy in the third row with the giant foam finger.

Posted by: hopbitters [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 19, 2006 12:59 PM

But again, if Torre misuses everyone and thus reverts to his veterans, isn't it Cashman's job to a) see that this doesn't happen and b) rid the team of the useless players (like Bernie) thereby forcing Torre to use other players?

While I agree that Torre makes tons of questionable moves, I still say that Cashman is not doing a good enough job of "Joe-proofing" the team. There are things within Cashman's control that he doesn't seem aware of or willing to engage in.

Why is Bernie on the roster? Why was Sturtze brought back? Why was Scott Erickson picked to replace Sturtze on the 25-man roster? These are things that really do reside in Cashman's control, no matter how much people might say otherwise.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 19, 2006 01:29 PM

I agree with you on (a), but (b) should be fire Torre. If he can't get Torre to manage or get somebody who can, he can throw all the players in the world at the situation and it won't help.

I wonder, however, if he's just biding his time until Torre is replaced by one of the current coaches. If you know, for example, that Bowa is next in line, and that he'd happily use Thompson, Smith, Bean, Beam, etc., would you want to bring them up so Torre can whittle away at their playing time and confidence? Or would you sacrifice Erickson and Reese this year so the real prospects can still get their playing time in?

Posted by: hopbitters [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 19, 2006 02:53 PM

That's a fair point, based on the assumption that Bowa or someone else will be managing the club in the next 1-2 years. Of course, we have no idea if that'll be the case, but it certainly makes sense.

Which begs the question of why Cashman didn't just make a move last fall when he had the chance. He supposedly got his mandate from Swindal and Big Stein to take control of the team operations. He could've done something about it. Which ultimately makes me wonder if he just won't ever do it because he somehow agrees with everything going on that we all complain about.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 19, 2006 03:22 PM