« Prior Pass On Bonds | Main | A Call For Help? »

May 12, 2006

Craig Wilson

Thinking about the Matsui situation some more today, if Godzilla is going to be out for three months (or the rest of the season), perhaps it's time to call the Pittsburgh Pirates about Craig Wilson?

Wilson is not a star - but, he's a useful player on the whole. Actually, against LHP he bats like a star - for what it's worth.

He's currently playing on a one-year deal that pays less than $4 million - so, he's cheap. Also, he can play a little 1B if needed there too.

Wilson will be 30-years-old at the end of the year. So, it's not like he's going to be someone to build around.

The Pirates are going nowhere this season.

If the Yankees offered the Pirates Colter Bean, Jeff Marquez and cash for Wilson, would that be so bad right now?

Posted by Steve Lombardi at May 12, 2006 01:11 PM

Comments

I don't think the Bucs will deal Wilson, especially with both Sean Casey and Brad Eldred out for quite a while.

Eric Hinske could be a good move. He's familiar with AL East pitchers and has raked both at Yankee Stadium and against the Red Sox for the last year.

Plus, when Sheff and Matsi returns, he'd be a nice LH bat off the bench.

Posted by: Mike A. [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 12, 2006 01:50 PM

In my opinion, Wilson would be an ideal fit. I hope that he's someone who's considered and I certainly hope that Cashman is thinking value picks, much like he did with Chacon, rather than making a big splash such as Soriano/Abreu/Hunter/Stewart - all of whom come with high pricetags and have significant faults.

Posted by: James Varghese [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 12, 2006 01:52 PM

Also, the Pirates have oodles of very good young pitchers, so I thinked they'd ask for some O in return, especially if they deal Wilson.

Posted by: Mike A. [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 12, 2006 01:57 PM

You think the Pirates would make that deal? Not only is the situation what it is as alluded to Mike A.'s post, but the Pirates could probably get more elsewhere if they do move Wilson.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 12, 2006 02:04 PM

OK, what if the Yankees threw in a lot of cash?

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 12, 2006 02:17 PM

What would it take to get Frank Catalanotto? He can't play the field, but he might be alright there till Sheff gets back, and then you can make him the DH. He always hurts us, and he kills the Sox. Plus he wants to be on this team. Probably not happening, since he's with a division rival and all, but I like him.

Buster Onley, when going over the options, mentioned Lew Ford. I would rather have Ford than Hunter (because of price and because he's a non-star player who probably doesn't bring the ego Hunter does). He can play all three outfield spots and he's the kind of guy the team could use. Don't know if they would trade him or not, but I'd take him in a second.

I think the best thing for the Yanks to do right now is NOT PANIC. The world isn't going to end because Matsui is gone. From where I stand, I think the bulk of the offense was coming from Jeter, Giambi and Cano. They need to let things play out a bit before they do anything too rash. And maybe Sheffield will get back sooner than expected.

Posted by: baileywalk [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 12, 2006 02:23 PM

I like Wilson, but other options I keep hearing are bad choices. Lew Ford had one very good half-season in '04, and has been mediocre since. I don't think he would even be an upgrade over Melky/Bubba. Same goes for Hinkse. Catallanatto is a nice, but not great player, but NO WAY the Jays deal him to the Yanks. I think Reggie Sanders, Abreu (of course, he's only one of the top 5 hitters in the NL for since '99), and a couple others are good ideas, but it has to be the right price. There's no point to signing the next iteration of Rondell White/Matt Lawton/Raul Mondesi to take up space in the lineup when a better, more exciting to watch youngster can do it. After all, it's not like the Yankees were having trouble scoring runs so far (knock on wood re: Sheffield's injury).

Posted by: festus [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 12, 2006 02:49 PM

As the guy who advoated trading for Craig Wilson back in November, I say - right on, Steve!

Don't forget, he can even catch a little bit too.

I don't know if the Pirates would make the move, but let's be honest - they suck. Wilson is 29, and will not be around to be part of the next great Pirates team. They ought to move him when his value is highest, and that time is now.

Of course, we are all expecting that the same organization that trade Aramis Ramirez for Bobby Hill will act rationally. Personally, I like the Yanks' odds. =)

Posted by: Shaun P. [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 12, 2006 04:13 PM

Craig Wilson would be a nice pickup and being from pittsburgh I get to see him play a lot. He can play LF/RF/1B and some C. The problem with Wilson is that he strikes out a lot. He's usually referred to "Hack" Wilson. Littlefield would want some young offensive players in return and he will start high, probably someone like Duncan. But Wilson is definitely not worth Duncan.

Posted by: Michael [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 12, 2006 04:46 PM