« Hanley Hearts Derek | Main | Sheff & Busta »

February 06, 2006

Unit - More Than 16 Wins in 2006 A Miracle?

Via the Sabermetric Baseball Encyclopedia, I was just looking at all A.L. Pitchers, since the DH Rule, age 42 or older - to see who had the best season ever:

00000randy42.jpg

When I look at this list, I think the expectation for the Big Unit should be 16 wins this season - and if anything higher happens it would be something special, indeed.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at February 6, 2006 09:49 AM

Comments

Steve,

RJ has one huge advantage: he's freakishly tall. His height will slow his aging process because it provides him a natural advantage that does not change. He makes every ball look like it's coming in from a weird angle with an extra 1-2 mph of velocity. Plus his control is still excellent.

I have Randy pegged for a pretty good year. 3.40-3.60 ERA with 200+ innings.

Posted by: DownFromNJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 6, 2006 11:00 AM

FWIW, I once asked Dr. Mike Marshall -

"Is there one particular body type which is more favorable for pitching?"

His answer: No, the baseball does not know the body type of the person applying force and release spin.

Anywho, I am rooting for Randy - I just to have the data to support a lock for a good season.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 6, 2006 11:22 AM

Should be "don't" instead of "to."

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 6, 2006 11:28 AM

RJ has one huge advantage: he's freakishly tall.
==========

Actually, the advantage he has is that he's still a flamethrower. Look at the number of times Ryan made the list.

I wouldn't put too much stock in winning percentage, or W-L records. You can't convince me that a 20-10, 4.50 pitcher is better than a 10-20, 2.25 pitcher.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 6, 2006 12:16 PM

I too think that RJ will have a good season this year and put up very good peripheral stats.

However, I also think that he will put up a good W-L record too - I fully expect 18 wins from the man with the bionic knee, but hey, I've been wrong before.

Posted by: James Varghese [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 6, 2006 02:04 PM

To be more specific:
18-9, 3.55 ERA, 215 Innings, 50 BBs, 230 Ks.

Posted by: James Varghese [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 6, 2006 02:09 PM

But wins are so subjective. It really depends on how the Yankees offense plays while RJ's on the hill.

Posted by: Benjamin [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 6, 2006 02:16 PM