« Schill The Pill | Main | Russell Branyan »

January 26, 2006

Blank Generation

Just this AM I read another (print) report about how the future of the Red Sox will be nothing but rosy, and that they're all set up, thanks to having pitching prospects like Jonathan Papelbon, Craig Hansen, and Jon Lester in their stable.

When I see stuff like this, three words come to mind: Wilson, Pulsipher, and Isringhausen.

TINSTAAPP baby. I'll believe it when I see it.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at January 26, 2006 07:56 AM

Comments

There may be NSTAAPP but I'd be willing to take my chances. Rather have them than not.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 26, 2006 02:23 PM

How many great pitchers are with the team that drafted them?

You grow position players and buy/trade for pitchers - if you want to win now.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 26, 2006 03:59 PM

How many great pitchers are with the team that drafted them?
=======================

Not many great pitchers out there, but I'm thinking of cases like Wood-Zambrano-Prior (Cubs), or Zito-Mulder-Hudson (Oakland), or all the arms that came out of the Astros system not too long ago (Oswalt-Reynolds-Miller-Elarton-Wagner-Lidge). Or the Dodgers' system (Martinez-Nomo-Valdez-Astacio), so on and so forth.

Even if you do want to win now, you do a combination of growing and buying/trading pitching

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 26, 2006 04:41 PM

Remind how many championships the Cubs, A's, Astros, and Dodgers have won since 1989? They've won so many I've lost track.

Posted by: JohnnyC [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 26, 2006 08:52 PM

==========

About the same the Yanks have won since 2001.

What's your point? There are quite a few ex yank farmhand pitchers out there

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 27, 2006 12:30 AM

Andy Pettitt (until we foolishly let him get away). Mo Rivera.

Posted by: redbug [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 27, 2006 09:11 AM