« Welcome To My Nightmare | Main | B.A. Cano? »

December 11, 2005

Posada Denied WBC Gig

From ESPN.com:

Jorge Posada was ready to play for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic. Unfortunately for Posada, the New York Yankees had other ideas.

The Yankees blocked Posada from participating, telling Major League Baseball that Posada was indispensable and was concerned the heavy workload he incurs during the season would be added to and might cause injury, The New York Post reported.

"As a courtesy I called the Yankees to advise them that Jorge wanted to participate in the World Baseball Classic," agent Seth Levinson told the paper. "The Yankees filed an objection that was accepted and Jorge was not eligible despite his desire to play."

Posada felt an urge to represent Puerto Rico in the tournament, wanting to make his family proud.

"I wanted to play since my family is from Puerto Rico, it's where I am from and I was excited," Posada told The Post. "I was the first one to ask for the documents. I can't do anything about it. The Yankees have the last word. I respect that and I will prepare for spring training like I always do."

Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez and Robinson Cano are expected to play in the WBC. Hideki Matsui will likely be added to the Japan roster as well.

Hmmmm. I'm not buying this all the way. It's a three week tournament being played the same time as Spring Training. I don't see how it's OK for Jeter, Cano and A-Rod to take on this work, but, it's an extra hardship for Jorge.

Every once in a while I hear whispers about how some in the Yankees front office do not like Posada. I'm not sure why and/or over what. But, because I have heard this more than once, I have to wonder if this objection is a way to give Jorge some grief. If so, it's a story that I hope gets told someday. It would be interesting to know.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at December 11, 2005 11:34 PM

Comments

I can see the Yanks' pov... And it seems that MLB agrees with them. I'd say the "extra hardship" may have to do with catching. Catching is more demanding on the body than playing the infield or the outfield.

I wouldn't be suprised if there were people in the FO that didn't like Posada. Office politics; everyone knows how that goes...

I was hoping to get to see him play. I guess I have to settle for Pudge & Sandy Jr.

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 12, 2005 09:40 AM

Actually, I wish that the Yankees would not let any of their players play in the WBC. I think that it's a stupid idea and I have absolutely no intention of following these glorified exhibition games.

Also, the idea is tied to Bud Selig, a man whom I loathe. Why should the Yankees go along with his pet idea given Selig's shenanigans with the Boston-Florida-Washington syndicate?

Posted by: jonm [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 12, 2005 10:36 AM

I once talked to a clubhouse manager for the Yankees. He told me that Posada was one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He leads that clubhouse as much as Giambi and almost as much as Jeter.

I don't see why the Yankee front office wouldn't like him. Posada is a) older than Jeter and Arod, b) A catcher, and c) on the decline offensively.

Posted by: DownFromNJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 12, 2005 11:47 AM

That's interesting. I've heard that he was not liked in the clubhouse: http://www.waswatching.com/archives/2005/06/jorge_posada.html

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 12, 2005 12:02 PM

I actually got the low down (this was in Mid-June 2005) on a lot of players.

Jeter/Posada/Giambi - Know your name, your kid's name, your birthday. Nicest guys in the world. Giambi was his favorite guy (and this was back when Giambi was struggling).

Sturtze/Pavano/Wright/Quantrill - In the clubhouse, Talk golf. After game, play golf. Read golf magazines. Golf, Golf, Golf. Nice guys.

Mariano Rivera - Reads the Bible constantly. Very quiet, except when the team just lost a big game, then he gets very vocal. A real leader when he needs to be... and when he doesn't he reads the Bible some more.

Bernie Williams - Very quiet. Spends 70% of his time in the trainers room. Other 30% is spent playing guitar.

Mike Mussina - Really smart guy. Reading a lot of books. Quiet when the Yankees are winning, vocal when losing.

Gary Sheffield - Asshole. Biggest dick in the world.

Kevin Brown/Randy Johnson - Both of them spend as little time in the clubhouse as possible. They are outsiders. Not neccessarily negative, just never there. Not really team players.

Alex Rodriguez - He was described "having tunnel vision. You'll walk down the hall, say 'Hello', and he'll never even know you said it. Nice guy when you get into a conversation with him, but that is rare".

Posted by: DownFromNJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 12, 2005 03:17 PM

I've heard the same about Sturtze, Rivera, Bernie, Brown, Unit and Giambi.

But, I've heard that Mussina was the prick. And, the dirt on Sheffield is news to me too.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 12, 2005 03:33 PM

Gary Sheffield - Asshole. Biggest dick in the world.
======

I wish players would keep shower confessions to themselves...

:D

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 12, 2005 04:26 PM

I heard that, when he was with the Brewers, the team used to call Glenn Braggs "Moo Moo" - because his member was so large that he could "beep" until the cows came home. So, if true, it would not be the first time that a player got named in the shower. ;-)

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 12, 2005 04:31 PM

Well sheesh, fellas, "Big Unit" is hardly the world's subtlest nickname.

Posted by: Carla Levy [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 12, 2005 05:45 PM