« Negative Remark-a-bles | Main | Wang For Reed? »

December 20, 2005

Left Behind At The Dotel

I decided to take another look at the potential new Yankee, Octavio Dotel.

Since he was injured in 2005, it makes sense to throw out his 2005 stats.

Looking at his 2004 numbers, thanks to the sortable database at BaseballMusings.com, I noticed something concerning.

Here is Dotel pitching to right-handed batters:

dotelr.jpg

Dotel kills RH batters - even last year, when he was hurt. How does Octavio do against left-handed batters? Here's the answer:

dotell.jpg

This is interesting. In 2004, all of a sudden, LH batters, while not hitting well often against Dotel, when they did hit him they did a lot of damage - look at his slugging percentage allowed.

If the intent is to limit Dotel to just facing RH batters in 2006, to combat his new issue with LH batters, why not just use Scott Proctor in that role instead?

Gosh, I never thought that I would see the day that I would prefer Proctor over anyone in the Yankees pen. But, Dotel just might be that one.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at December 20, 2005 02:11 PM

Comments

SL has some kind of grudge w/octavio that may go back to the old neighborhood in the DR.

Posted by: Jason O. [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 20, 2005 03:26 PM

LOL.

Hey, the dude insulted my wife's tostones!

No, really, I'm concerned about the Yankees interest here. I truly feel that it's a mistake. But, hey, I've been wrong before....

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 20, 2005 03:34 PM

Does the name Juan Acevedo ring loudly in your ears like it does in mine? I haven't looked it up cybermetrically, but I just have a hunch they are gas out of the same bag.

Posted by: Scott Coulter [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 20, 2005 05:24 PM

I don't quite see the pattern that you see here, Steve. Lefties hit him with power in 2004 and 2005 in a very small sample size. I like the signing as a flier for one year. Then again, I could be wrong too.
You're a good man, Steve. So many people in the sabermetric world never argue that they could possibly be wrong. It's refreshing to see your lack of smugness.

Posted by: jonm [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 20, 2005 07:34 PM

Thanks - but, it's easy - because I've been wrong so many times before! ;-)

When the Yankees got rid of Mike Stanley for Girardi, I wanted blood - well, almost. And, that worked out. When they traded for Justice, I thought it was a huge mistake on the day of the trade. Come the LCS that year, I was singing a different tune. Just this year, I wanted Torre fired - many times. Yet, he held the team together in the end. There's many more times like this for me.

Hey, if it means it works in the Yankees favor, I'll be happy to be wrong all the time!

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 20, 2005 10:55 PM