« Bernie In The Post-Season | Main | The Baseball Same Game »

December 09, 2005

Filling Out The Yankees Roster

The following is an attempt to guess at the Yankees 25-man roster for 2006 (based on what we know so far). Here goes:

Catchers (2): Posada and Stinnett
Infielders (6): Giambi, Cano, Jeter, Rodriguez, Phillips, and Escalona
Outfielders (5): Matsui, Crosby, Sheffield, Williams and Thompson
Starting Picthers (5): Johnson, Wang, Mussina, Pavano, and Chacón
Bullpen (6): Rivera, Farnsworth, Myers, Sturtze, Small, and Wright

Yes, that's only 24. The last spot is tricky. It could be another utility player or another man for the pen.

Who's available? Well, there's Proctor, DePaula, Veras, Anderson and Smith for the pen. And, maybe even Leiter is in the mix? For position players it could come from Reese, Prieto, Howard or Thurston.

That's an ugly bunch. And, when you add Escalona and Thompson to the gang, it tells you that the Yankees still need to plug three holes on their bench:

*Back-up Middle Infielder
*Back-up Outfielder
*25th Man (abelit a utility player or 12th pitcher)

I hope there are some people on Cashman's radar to fill these spots.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at December 9, 2005 02:46 PM

Comments

God, when it's written out in front of me like that, I cringe to think that this may be the worst bullpen I've seen in a while.

I know I'm beating the same drum but I could've sworn people said that the Yankee bullpen was a priority for them this offseason. It turns out that we did a Farnsworth for Gordon trade and that's it. Cashman is a dope.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 9, 2005 03:58 PM

Just wait until the game where your starting OF is Williams-Crosby-Thompson and Andy Phillips is the DH. It's not that far-fetched.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 9, 2005 04:12 PM

It's good to see the roster laid out like that. Rather than panic, I like to see it as just a matter of the Yankees not being finished yet.

It can be improved with just a few moves:
1. Make the Sturtze & Henn for Michaels deal (Michaels becomes the starter in CF and Crosby moves to the fifth OF role).
2. Acquire a bat for either the IF or OF. (Garciaparra for IF and Davanon for 4th OF.)
OR
(Burnitz or Sanders for OF and Graffanino for IF)
3. If 2 fails, get Davanon and Graffanino and take a chance on Durazo or Petagine (if he is non-tendered).
4. Replace Sturtze with Tavarez or Hernandez.
5. Dotel would be a nice risk for mid-season.

I don't think that any of these moves are payroll busters and I think that it creates a strong, deep roster.

Posted by: jonm [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 9, 2005 04:44 PM

Or, if they can trade for a CF, then Crosby can be the spare OFer.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 9, 2005 04:55 PM

I think that the 25th man should be a position player. The Yankees have an aging lineup and having one more positional player who can hit in a part-time role would be great. I'm uncomfortable with Bernie as the full-time DH. That's why someone like Sanders, Devanon, or Durazo would be very useful.

Posted by: jonm [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 9, 2005 05:25 PM

According the the NY Post, the Yankees are looking at Miguel Cairo and/or Eduardo Perez.

Link: