« Nomar For CF? | Main | Giambi's Fashion Faux Pas »

November 23, 2005

Yankees Still Need One More Bat

As it stands right now, if the Yankees had a game today, based on who is on their roster, the DH in the line-up would be Andy Phillips, Tony Womack, or Kevin Thompson. Ouch.

Now, some like to say that Jason Giambi should be the Yankees DH next season. But, there's two problems with that. First, someone has to play 1B if Giambi is the DH - and, right now, that would be Phillips. So, that's no gain. Secondly, and more importantly, Giambi should not be the Yankees DH next season (or maybe ever?) because of the following statistics:

000giambi.jpg

It's pretty clear, based on the above, that Giambi does not take well to being a DH.

Now, what about Gary Sheffield? Could he DH? Sure, he could - but, then you need someone to play RF. And, right now, based on the Yankees roster, that would be Tony Womack or Kevin Thompson. Again, no gain.

What about Posada? Could he DH? Yes, and the Yankees would probably like that. But, then, based on the current roster, Wil Nieves would be your starting catcher. So, does that help?

Clearly, the Yankees need to add another player to their team for 2006. It can be a catcher (which allows Posada to DH) or an OF (who would allow Sheffield to DH) or someone who could DH most of the time and maybe spell Giambi and/or Sheffield in the field on occasion.

When I think of this, I start to get those Kevin Millar nightmares again. If Millar is the target, I'd much rather see the Yankees offer Jeff Conine a one-year deal.

Of course, getting Brian Giles to play for the Yankees would solve this problem. But, there's still a question as to whether or not that can happen.

And, others may like to say this is why Bernie Williams should come back in 2006. But, I think those folks are forgetting that Bernie's best days are far behind him.

I'm not forgetting that the Yankees have some great offensive players - like A-Rod, Jeter, and Matsui (to go with Giambi and Sheffield). Also, Cano should be OK with the stick. But, that's just six positions. Posada is declining with the bat and Bubba Crosby (in CF) is not an offensive performer. So, if you go with a sub-par DH, you're probably spotting the other team 6 to 9 outs per game.

That's too much. Given the Yankees issues in the bullpen - and their questions in the rotation - New York cannot afford to play just a 6 or 7 inning game at the plate. They're going to need as many runs as possible.

This is why the Yankees still need one more bat for 2006. I hope that Cashman & Co. know this as well.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at November 23, 2005 11:01 AM

Comments

Why don't you email him, Steve? His address is bcashman@yankees.com I know this because I have emailed him, and a few others, and received email back from them. Never hurts to share the wisdom! I agree that they need one more bat, and I would prefer that it comes in the form of a good backup catcher rather than another outfielder or firstbaseman. I hate to say it but I think the Japanese catcher Johjima may have been someone we missed. Is Benji Molina a possibility? I'm not sure I like him. I spent last year yelling at my tv, "But he's just not that good a player!!!" Yet, there he was.

Posted by: Scott Coulter [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 23, 2005 11:39 AM

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 23, 2005 12:05 PM

I'm still shaking my head afer *last* offseason :)

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 23, 2005 12:22 PM

Steve - "If the Yankees don't realize this as well, then they would never be smart enough to listen." Never were truer words spoken.

As for Benji Molina, I still don't see the attraction. At his best he's still a significantly worse player than Posada was in his prime and is only marginally better than him now, in his decline. Plus, didn't he lead the AL in passed balls? I love Jorge but he's the passed ball king so we don't need the passed ball crown prince too. I'd rather take a look at trading for one of the Mariners surplus catchers now that they have Johjima. Perhaps 21 year old Rene Rivera? With Johjima and Wiki Gonzalez on the roster, maybe they can give us Rene Rivera and Jeremy Reed and take Hot Carl Pavano off our hands?

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 23, 2005 12:32 PM

I too think whoever bites on Molina is making a mistake. I'm not sure that there is a catching-answer out there now.

It's really a hard spot for the Yankees because of that vesting option on Posada. If it were not for that, I say just catch him another year and get that 'other bat" for DH or the OF.

And, there's always the question of life after Jorge - there's nothing in the system in terms of catching prospects, really, at all.

The next catcher is going to have to come from outside - but, again, that doesn't warrant the risk on Molina.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 23, 2005 02:11 PM

I heard that Seattle might be willing to part with Yorvit Torrealba, has MLB experience and they were pretty high on him at one time.

Posted by: Scott Coulter [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 23, 2005 04:32 PM

That's sort of like saying you don't need to write your congressman because he should be smart enough to think of it himself. That's not the way real life is. Real life is that sometimes one of us sees something differently, and the whole group is better for it. I'd rather err on the side of sharing a thought than being unhappy when they don't get it. Your response came across a bit smug.

Posted by: Scott Coulter [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 23, 2005 04:35 PM

That was just my New York accent.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 23, 2005 04:57 PM

LOL! I have NY accent too, although I live in Indiana. Lived in NY for my first 34 years, been gone 18, hate my new accent. Once in a while I cawl my bruthuh just to renew whut I really shuld sound like, ya know?

Posted by: Scott Coulter [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 23, 2005 06:44 PM

you guys are too funny... lol

No matter where you go, you'll always pronounce certain words a certain way; water and coffee, to name a couple :D

Posted by: Raf [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 23, 2005 06:52 PM