« Girardi To Sleep With The Fishes? | Main | Oh, Mudder »

October 06, 2005

As The Crow Fries

crow.jpg

Five months ago, I wrote:

Right now, Giambi is a scarecrow in the batter's box and he's running the bases like Mr. Stay Puff Marshmallow Man. And, to complete the total package, a blindfolded Venus de Milo would be a better first baseman at this point than Jason.

The Yankees should designate June 15th as "Deadwood Decision Day" (D3, for short) for Jason Giambi. If, after another 5 weeks from today, Giambi is still playing like he was been to date this season, then make a call on him and roll with it.

Call Billy Beane and see if he would take him - assuming the Yankees pay most of his salary - in exchange for a bag of batting practice balls and an autographed copy of Moneyball. Or, find out if Howie Spira has any dirt on Giambi. Or, hire a Jeff Gillooly type and see if Giambi can be put on the DL for the rest of the year. Or, just cut the bum and eat the salary. Whatever - but, do something.

Today, it was announced that Jason Giambi is the winner of the A.L. Comeback Player of the Year award.

Best.Crow-eating.ever.

Really, I can't remember the last time I was this happy to eat crow. It's yummy in my tummy, I tell ya.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at October 6, 2005 04:36 PM

Comments

Steve, you've predicted a lot of things right this year. This is one I'm very glad you got wrong.

Now, if Giambi can just keep this up for another 3 years, his contract won't be nearly as bad as we all feared!

I'm probably dreaming, huh?

Posted by: Shaun P. at October 6, 2005 05:43 PM

Quite unexpected considering how much venom there is out there for Giambi as a self-confessed steroids abuser and wearer of pinstripes to boot. Makes one think that some Yankees may actually get some other awards this year like maybe ARod for MVP or Mo for Cy Young. Not likely, I realize, but the Giambi award surprises me.

Posted by: JohnnyC at October 6, 2005 05:47 PM

How about a second course? ;-)

(true, no one expected Chacón to do what he has done, but still, it's neat to go back to the initial reaction)

Posted by: Jen at October 6, 2005 11:41 PM

Shawn is already covered Jen!

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at October 7, 2005 09:02 AM

Damn, sorry about that. I really need to get more sleep during the week.

Posted by: Jen at October 7, 2005 09:45 AM