« Sox Call Up Johnnies Alum | Main | John McMullen »

September 19, 2005

Sheff Not Returning To Right

From the Post:

Gary Sheffield says his days as a right fielder this year are over.

"I am done doing that," said Sheffield, who has been limited to DH duty for the past six games due to a strained left thigh. "I don't see it getting any better."

Sheffield suffered the injury Sept. 7 chasing a fly ball at Yankee Stadium and believed it would be healed by now.

Great. So, now, both Giambi and Bernie must always play the field in order to bat - and, against LHP, the Yankees have an old-timer in RF. And, Tino Martinez only gets to play as a 1B caddy in the late innings.

The story also says:

Sheffield said the thigh problem is robbing him of his power at the plate.

"Just when I am ready to explode I plant my left leg and want to go forward but can't," Sheffield said. "I am doing everything right until that point."

Since Gary has only hit nothing but singles since returning, maybe it's time to consider benching him the rest of the way and using Sierra at DH, or Andy Phillips/Matt Lawton in a platoon at DH, or Giambi at DH and Martinez at 1B, or Bernie at DH and Bubba in CF? I'm not sure. But, considering that Sheffield clogs the bases now - and is only hitting singles, it might be time.

And [ducks as he says this] maybe it's time to get Womack some ABs in case you need him to play some OF in the post-season? What happens if Sierra is in right and pulls a hammy? You want to go with Lawton the butcher? Not me.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at September 19, 2005 11:03 AM

Comments

Why has Sheffield been playing at all? Was Torre thinking that the leisurely saunter to first that turns stand-up doubles into double-plays would ease Sheff's thigh problem? Or was he just tired of getting 27 outs a game so he figured he could give some away?

Posted by: hopbitters at September 19, 2005 11:41 AM

Torre goes down with the ship, baby. Don't ask why. Got 4 rings, baby. Stop questionning his decisions. Say, do you work for YES? Did George ask you to write that? He asked me...:)

Posted by: JohnnyC at September 19, 2005 01:21 PM

I don't think it is time for Womack to play. I think Torre plays him for intimidation purposes. It is possible that he might hit one and get it out on pure bat speed. I'm not sure where I saw tha analysis, maybe even here, that Lawton-the-Butcher is like 0-10 in the time of Sheff's injury, Ruben is 1-10, and Crosby is batting around .319. It think it if obvious we need to play Crosby in RF.

BTW: I love your blog, please don't stop writing. I host a Yankees group on Yahoo, see url listed, and while I never copy your stuff, I do sometimes read your stuff along with the newspapers before I write an article. Keep up the good work!! Thanks!

Posted by: Scott Coulter at September 19, 2005 01:50 PM

Rest Sheff until the Red Sox series. Jason at 1B (if his back is fine, he hits better when he's in the field and we need his power). Bernie at DH, Bubba in CF. And um, ah, er, um, who came up from Columbus that can play leftfield? Kevin Reese?

Posted by: rbj at September 19, 2005 02:02 PM

The only time you play Womack is as a PR

Posted by: Raf at September 19, 2005 03:03 PM

RBJ said it. However Sierra just needs some playing time at DH. He's still a good power hitter he needs to get back into a groove. Sit Sheff a few days and see if he feels better.

Posted by: Bozo at September 19, 2005 03:41 PM

Hey, I got at least one Bozo to agree with me for a change!

Posted by: rbj at September 19, 2005 05:44 PM