« Upcoming Match-Ups | Main | Torii Hunter In 2006? »

September 15, 2005

September 15th @ The Devil Rays

If I've done my math right, Robinson Cano is now the first left-handed Yankees batter, age 22 or younger, to have 10 or more HRs in a season since 1963 (when Joe Pepitone did it). Funny, I would have thought that it happened more often.

There's something about tonight that's bothering me. Once the lead became 4 runs, was it necessary to have Rivera come out for the 9th inning? I'm sure there's good cases to be made both ways on this one.

Of course, because of the slam, Cano will get the headlines on this one. But, the clutch hit tonight belonged to Alex "Total Paquete" Rodriguez. It was his 2-run bomb that won the game.

And, let us not lose Aaron Small in this story. One hanger to Hall and a couple of ground ball hits before Gomes went catwalk. That was the damage tonight. Mussina who?

The sweep of the Devil Rays was a big step. This allows the Yankees to have one game lost in each of their next five series and still probably win the A.L. East. It's looking more and more doable these days.

Lastly, thank you Oakland. The Yankees magic number is 19. Any combination of Boston losses and Yankees wins that equal 19 means the Yankees will win the A.L. East.

And, if the Yankees make the post-season, and the last roster spot is between Womack, Lawton and Crosby, Bubba better be on the team.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at September 15, 2005 11:01 PM

Comments

I could not agree with you more about Bubba. When will this boy get some respect? The Yankees have toyed with a dozen ideas about CF and guys to add, a la Lawton, while he quietly has done his job and is a .357 hitter in the minor leagues. He will hit well, given the chance, which he is just now getting. Thank goodness he is finally starting to attract some attention! I could see an outfield next year of Crosby, Matsui and Sheffield.

Posted by: Scott Coulter at September 16, 2005 12:31 AM

Torre's goal for the team now:

To effectively win the AL East prior to the Boston series. I know that may sound outlandish, but there's an old Roman adage: Fortune favors the bold.

The Red Sox are collapsing. The Yanks must take advantage of every opportunity.

Posted by: Jason O. at September 16, 2005 08:01 AM

I'd love to hear your take on this. You can at least name a couple of the heads on Cerberus now.

Posted by: James Varghese at September 16, 2005 08:54 AM

That would be awesome Jason.

James - thanks, I'll check this out now.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at September 16, 2005 09:09 AM

On Rivera, as you said... this was a big step. We need to finish wins when we can now. If Mo wasn't in the game already in the 8th, I would say to hold him out, but just for the fact that if you pull Mo for the 9th and someone gets in trouble, you don't have Mo to fall back on. You don't have Gordon, either. The 3 lowest ERAs beside that are Strutze (4.29), Rodriguez (4.34) and Proctor (4.54). None of which I'd want to go to without Mo or at least Gordon to fall back on. Plus, you already issued a memo to Torre on Proctor. We weren't up by 5. ;) hehe

Posted by: Patrick at September 16, 2005 10:04 AM