« SI: A-Rod Over Big Papi For MVP | Main | The Five Spot »

September 13, 2005

September 13th @ The Devil Rays

Quick, someone tell Jonny Gomes that the bully is not going to be pushed around today.

Poor Mike Vento, it's one thing to look like "Boner" Stabone from Growing Pains, but, it's another thing to pull a rock like he did tonight in his big league debut. Lucky for him it was a blow-out. (By the way, "Boner" was played by the son of Walter Koenig who played Chekov on Star Trek. Just a little TV-trivia for you there.)

I caught the first inning tonight, and then switched to FOX, to watch the season premieres of Bones and House. (The jury is still out on Bones, but, House was just as great as it was last season.)

I did peak in during commercials to get the scores. When I left, after one, it was 5-2. It was funny to then see it jump to 10-2 after two and then to 17-2 in the seventh. I got back to the game in the top of the 8th - just in time to see Vento's first AB.

And, by the way, thank you Blue Jays. Yankees now two back in the loss column with 19 to play. Considering all the hard, tough, and stupid losses that New York has piled up this year, this position is amazing. Maybe I should say thank you Red Sox?

So, now, like everyday now for the Yankees, tomorrow is key. Will it be the typical "can't score any runs the day after a mercy rule game" thing - or, is this going to be the Tampa Bay Massacre - like the one in Boston in 1978? Tune in tomorrow.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at September 13, 2005 10:38 PM

Comments

For someone who's tag is waswatching.com, you've come pretty close to admitting that you don't watch. I'd leave Mike Vento alone, regardless, since you weren't watching. Kid has some real potential. He could be as good as Manny Ramirez if he never knows how many outs there are! LOL!

Posted by: Scott Coulter at September 13, 2005 11:26 PM

We've seen this act several times this season, Yankees blow out Tampa and lose the series to them. Maybe this time is different?

Posted by: Don at September 14, 2005 02:13 AM

Steve, this is not Yankees related but I was watching Bones and House too. House is proabbly my favorite show on TV right now - I can't believe how good it has become. Hopefully, they don't start dumbing it down as more and more people start climbing on the bandwagon.

As for Bones...it was amusing/interesting but it def. stretches the limits of plausibility. I mean, come on, a full size hologram showing how the vitcim was attacked? Besides, how you can take a show seriously when all the commercials have the lead in, "Don't call me Bones"?

Ok, tangent over - Back to baseball.

Posted by: James Varghese at September 14, 2005 09:49 AM

There's a federally mandated disclosure that seems to apply here. Historical performance is no guarantee of future results.

Posted by: Bozo at September 14, 2005 09:51 AM

I just thought that the characters on Bones were too flat - and lacked the extra dimensions that would make you interested in them. But, it was the first one, so, I know you have to give them time, sometimes. Even in the 1st House, the characters were not as you see them today.

Back to baseball, the Yankees really still need to look at each game like it's a Game 7. IIRC, they had a big blow-out win in the last ALCS, and then things went downhill after that. They need to avoid a repeat of that now.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at September 14, 2005 10:10 AM

Was anyone else fortunate enough to catch James Earl Jones' spoken-word perf. of the National Anthem before last night's game? It could only be described as bizarre. The look on Travis Lee's face was priceless.

And what's with switching off Yankee games during a pennant race to watch 2nd rate TV shows? "Bones"??? You have got to be kidding me. One of TV's best shows,"Rescue Me" , concluded its season last night. I watched the game.

Posted by: Josh at September 14, 2005 10:14 AM

Yep, House is great. :)

Posted by: Patrick at September 14, 2005 10:19 AM

Josh - I'm guessing you're not married. ;-)

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at September 14, 2005 10:24 AM

----------------------------------------

They only way they're going to do that is keep the offense up.

Last year, games 4-6 were in reach. Games 4 & 5 should've been won. Olerud may have made a difference. So would a healthy Giambi.

Oh well, what's done is done

Posted by: Raf at September 14, 2005 11:37 AM